Robin M

On 8/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, Kareni said:

What a neat find!

You are quite welcome, Jenn. 

I also see a movie review has been posted on Tor's site ~ 

I Have A Lot of Feelings About Christopher Robin  by Emily Asher-Perrin

Regards,
Kareni

I was almost afraid to read the review of Christopher Robin in case it was negative. (It isn’t but it is full of spoilers ). 

I thought the movie was fantastic for Pooh fans, as did DS17 and DS24. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Robin M said:

When did you all want to start the Sigrid Unset Kristin Lavransdatter readalong?    

I can't even remember who plans to participate!  All i remember is Penguin has already read it and just plans to participate in the discussions.  I am happy to start whenever it's good for everyone else.  Truly no preference this time!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I can't even remember who plans to participate!  All i remember is Penguin has already read it and just plans to participate in the discussions.  I am happy to start whenever it's good for everyone else.  Truly no preference this time!

I'm interested!  Would you mind starting at the beginning of September (I think that might have been the earlier plan, from vague memory, but I could be wrong...)?  But I'm currently working my way through the first volume of The Story of the Stone (aka Dream of the Red Chamber) which is also a chunkster that I'm pacing out, and I'd love to get that done first.  I'll definitely be done by then.  Actually I'll probably be done in time for the last week of August, but beginning of Sept seems cleaner, and gives me a break between books - but I'd be happy with either one, if people are raring to go. :)

What kind of pace are you thinking of?

• Like 4

I have the trilogy in Danish and the first volume in Norwegian. I'll probably read along selected chapters only in Danish and occasionally peek at the original Norwegian. Written Danish and written Norwegian are only about an inch apart, so that could be fun.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Penguin said:

I have the trilogy in Danish and the first volume in Norwegian. I'll probably read along selected chapters only in Danish and occasionally peek at the original Norwegian. Written Danish and written Norwegian are only about an inch apart, so that could be fun.

That's something I'd find a ton of fun! ... too bad German diverged so far from its northern cousins. ?  I have thought of trying to get Kristin Lavransdatter in German, but it looks like the only translation was done ages ago, and I heard there's a great new English translation, so I think I may stick with that. Besides the fact that then I don't have to buy the book. ?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

That's something I'd find a ton of fun! ... too bad German diverged so far from its northern cousins. ?  I have thought of trying to get Kristin Lavransdatter in German, but it looks like the only translation was done ages ago, and I heard there's a great new English translation, so I think I may stick with that. Besides the fact that then I don't have to buy the book. ?

Now that I know the KL story well, I can make some sense of the Danish/Norwegian text. My Danish level is way way below your German level. 

I am in a bit of a funk about Danish. Any tips on how to get through this plateau? I no longer care much about improving my speaking, but I will.not.rest until I can read high-brow lit.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I'm interested!  Would you mind starting at the beginning of September (I think that might have been the earlier plan, from vague memory, but I could be wrong...)?  But I'm currently working my way through the first volume of The Story of the Stone (aka Dream of the Red Chamber) which is also a chunkster that I'm pacing out, and I'd love to get that done first.  I'll definitely be done by then.  Actually I'll probably be done in time for the last week of August, but beginning of Sept seems cleaner, and gives me a break between books - but I'd be happy with either one, if people are raring to go. ?

What kind of pace are you thinking of?

Starting in September sounds great!  Currently I can get it on kindle from Overdrive but will try and get a hard copy.

I am definitely not the one to be in charge of pacing.  I have absolutely no idea how the book is arranged and have no room in my account to check it out tonight.  The first one, The Wreath, per goodreads is 305 pages long.  Since I am definitely reading in English ? you guys pick.......

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Starting in September sounds great!  Currently I can get it on kindle from Overdrive but will try and get a hard copy.

I am definitely not the one to be in charge of pacing.  I have absolutely no idea how the book is arranged and have no room in my account to check it out tonight.  The first one, The Wreath, per goodreads is 305 pages long.  Since I am definitely reading in English ? you guys pick.......

I went and looked at the TOC at Amazon using the Look-inside feature.  Looks like the whole tome is a bit over 1000 pp.  As I'm sure you know, there are three books, and it looks from the TOC like each book has three parts, each somewhere from 100-150 pp.  Would a 'part' a week be good?  That would be 9 weeks.  I don't think I could go faster than that - I'd still like time to read other stuff.  

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Now that I know the KL story well, I can make some sense of the Danish/Norwegian text. My Danish level is way way below your German level. 

I am in a bit of a funk about Danish. Any tips on how to get through this plateau? I no longer care much about improving my speaking, but I will.not.rest until I can read high-brow lit.

What do you feel like is hanging you up the most?  Is it vocab, or having a hard time understanding sentences because of grammar?  Did you get fairly conversational in Danish while you were living there?  I might have different suggestions based on what's hanging you up...

Generally, what you've been doing so far - reading children's books and books where you're already familiar with the story- seems like a good strategy.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I went and looked at the TOC at Amazon using the Look-inside feature.  Looks like the whole tome is a bit over 1000 pp.  As I'm sure you know, there are three books, and it looks from the TOC like each book has three parts, each somewhere from 100-150 pp.  Would a 'part' a week be good?  That would be 9 weeks.  I don't think I could go faster than that - I'd still like time to read other stuff.  

Sounds great!  

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

What do you feel like is hanging you up the most?  Is it vocab, or having a hard time understanding sentences because of grammar?  Did you get fairly conversational in Danish while you were living there?  I might have different suggestions based on what's hanging you up...

Generally, what you've been doing so far - reading children's books and books where you're already familiar with the story- seems like a good strategy.  

Oh, it is definitely vocab. The vocab needed for literary fiction feels like 1000x more than what is needed for managing daily life. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Oh, it is definitely vocab. The vocab needed for literary fiction is 1000x more than what is needed for managing daily life. 

Then I think reading things you're already familiar with is a good strategy.  This will help a lot with picking up vocab from context - if you already know what it's 'supposed' to say, then it's easier to figure out.  I often try not to look up a word until I've seen it three times and it's still niggling at me - usually I have a pretty good guess from the contexts I've seen it in.  You could also make a running list of words like that and make a Quizlet set, if you're finding that context isn't working as well as you'd like.  When I first started reading more challenging texts, I often found that I'd have to look up a lot of words for the first chapter or two, but exponentially less for the rest of the book because authors tend to re-use a lot of the same vocab - they have 'favorite' words.  As you say, you need a lot more vocab to read, but that's also what makes reading such a great way to increase fluency. :)

Also of course make sure to use word root hints - I don't know how similar the Northern Germanic languages are to German, but German vocab almost gets easier after a point because virtually all the 'big words' are just lego constructs of smaller words, which makes reverse-engineering meaning easy.  Spanish is actually more annoying with advanced vocab, because it just makes up entirely new words for things, and then uses different entirely new words in different Spanish-speaking countries. ?

Not sure what you're using to look up, but I've actually become a bit of a fan of Google Translate.  It absolutely sucks for any text string longer than one word - gobbeldygook! - but for single words it's not bad.  It's gotten particularly good in Spanish (not that that helps you) in that besides the 'translation', which is often inaccurate or just missing for trickier vocab, it has a Spanish-Spanish dictionary appended below with multiple shades of meaning (without translation).  But I don't think they've added that feature in German, so probably not in Danish. ?  But another nice feature is it has a "history" so if you see a word you've already looked up but forgotten again, you can look to see if you're right and see the definition without typing anything in.  Anyway, except when it doesn't have the word, beats the days when I had to sit with a 10-lb dictionary and flip through it... also means I have something with me on the go. :)  I don't have to look up much anymore, but there's always a few words that get me.  LOL then there was that made-up word in Signs Preceding the End of the World.  But I ended up getting it from context after seeing it a few times, as the native-speakers (and readers of the English translation where the translator made up an English word for it!) had to.

ETA: If you do find you'd like to keep a running list of words to make a Quizlet set, the History feature in Google Translate actually kinda does that for you, if you know to look for it!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'd be happy to travel with you, Laura!

Regards,
Kareni

We would have the best time!!

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

When did you all want to start the Sigrid Unset Kristin Lavransdatter readalong?    

Kristin Lavransdatter is a great story! I think I've read it, oh maybe 3 or 4 times? I'd love to read along with everyone - September sounds like a good time to start. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Robin M said:

September sounds wonderful! Your suggested reading plan for W&P was so helpful. Will you be preparing one for KL? Thanks for revisiting this readalong.

• Like 3