Menu

ISO one leveled curric for 8, 6, and 4 yo

HappytoHS

We've been a pretty relaxed and eclectic homeschooling family until now but I've recently opened a business so we need to transition to a more structured homeschool/lifestyle. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for exists but I'd appreciate suggestions for an open-and-go curriculum that I can use with 3 kids ages 8, 6 and 4 (mostly to keep her occupied and included) so that we can all be doing the same thing at the same time but at each child's level, with minimal-to-no planning/prep from me. Is there anything remotely like this?

Maybe you like Bedell Curriculum for Science and Social Studies, and skipping anything you don't want to teach; or Weaver from Alpha Omega and just not worry about all the extra books, unless you want. Then there is Adventures in U.S. History from My Father's World. Another curriculum is Winter Promise.

God's Design For Science from Answers in Genesis. There is Language Lessons from Queen Homeschool Supplies.

You could get a Bible story book or read the stories directly out of the Bible.

You might like Build Your Library Level 1 for history, science, art, and literature. And with LOE Essentials you can teach to multiple levels, covering reading, writing, spelling, and phonics (and basic grammar). Math I really think you’ll have to split up? 

http://buildyourlibrary.com/purchase-level-1-curriculum/

https://www.logicofenglish.com/products

• Like 1

Or you could pick individual elements/subjects that are just do the next thing. Story of the World with the activity guide is good for that. The planning would just consist of reading the next chapter, and getting stuff ready if there's an activity. The 8yo and 6yo could easily do it together, the 4yo can listen in. Super simple. I do think math needs to be individual, but that's easy with a scripted program like Saxon. It's all laid out day-by-day, and again, the only "planning" is just looking ahead to the lesson (as you would do with ANY curriculum) and making sure you have any materials ready (like manipulatives and such). Spelling can be Spelling Workout, where you just read the lesson and then the child does it in the workbook. Make it more interesting by letting them play a game with each other from time to time. 

My point is, you are going to need to plan somewhat with any curriculum, no matter how well-laid out and coordinated it is. Why not tailor to your kids? 

• Like 1

Wayfarers is like this though it’s not open and go school in a box, you have to chase down the books and resources, but it works well from the viewpoint of making cohesive schooling work across multiple ages.

I personally have found it quite intense (ok that’s an understatement because we are past half way through our school and in a lot of areas we are less than 1/3 of the way through the curriculum but we have some things that I’ve supplemented with that I wasn’t willing to give up.  And a few hiccoughs with sourcing resources) (If you do wayfarers make sure you get the right Expedition earth!  There appears to be two which is why the scheduling seemed to make no sense and be totally illogical!).  

That said the program is designed and says frequently to modify or only do the parts that apply etc it’s just my box checker self needing to tick everything off.

There is Moving Beyond The Page.  The levels have a 3 year age span for each with usually two sets of worksheets, easier and harder.  You would need to supplement with a phonics curriculum for your youngers and probably a math curriculum for your 8yo, letting the 4 & 6yo use theirs.  And you can get everything in a box: lesson books, readers, manipulatives.

As others have mentioned, there are several that fit what you're looking for with regards to content subjects. Obviously, at those ages, phonics/writing/math (skill subjects) are still going to be pretty mom-dependent and will require you teach separately usually.