Menu

AOPS Geometry- class with AOPS or WTM Academy

oaktree

My son has taken pre-algebra, algebra A and B and Counting and Probability with AOPS.  He likes the format.  He has made As or A+ in all the classes.  The writing problems have been a bit of a struggle, but he overall done well enough.

Now, it is time for Geometry.  He feels that Geometry is the area of math in which he is weakest.  I am concerned about the pace of the AOPS class if he starts struggling.  He wants to stick with the AOPS classes, but I am inclined to switch to WTM Academy, at least for Geometry.

Any insights from folks who have switched from AOPS to WTM Academy?  How do the workloads and teacher support compare?  

We were in a similar position 6 months ago. DS had taken all the intro Aops classes, felt he wasn’t as strong in Geometry and considered WTMA. After some debating, and researching WTMA, we decided to sign up for Aops Geo anyway. The first few weeks were rough (after the intro/review weeks) and there was a steep learning curve- learning to write proofs. Then something clicked and I saw one of the biggest growth spurts in mathematical thinking I’ve seen in awhile. I didn’t think DS was strong in geometery, but I was wrong. He just hadn’t had enough exposure/experience/stretching. I’d say if your child has enjoyed Aops so far and can power through (for us it was 4-5 weeks of serious frustration on the writing problems) they may come out in the end stronger for it. I understood that WTMA, though they used the Aops books, didn’t do as much challenging material as Aops. So it wasn’t that it just moved slower, but didn’t go as deep. So from my one data point of experience, I’d give Aops a try, you maybe surprised. 

• Like 3

Our youngest had done AoPS classes thru pre-alg, Alg A and intro CP.  Last fall we thought he had a busy schedule and we would stretch out Alg B by using WTM version.  In the end it was was a good for us to learn or reaffirm our understanding of our son’s preference for AoPS’s discovery approach, pace, depth, and challenge.  DS also missed the mathy community.  At the mid-point of the year we were back to AoPS.  Knowing your child’s learning preference and strength may drive the decision. 

• Like 2

My son just finished the Aops Geo class. He breezed through the other ones (in a manner of speaking - usually 1 1/2 hours of work a day with one day that stood out as very challenging). He got an A+ in Alg B and will probably get an A+, or possibly an A in Geo as well... however the amount of time and frustration DEFINITELY was so much higher. However he grew so much, and learned how to give up on things when he literally couldn't solve it, how to write a partial proof on one writing problem (that almost killed him) and he feels a lot stronger emotionally than when he started. And he's looking forward to the next class so that's a win! 

• Like 2