Menu

What's with the ads?

caedmyn

best educational videos/channels on Youtube?

I'm trying to put together a list of educational videos or channels on Youtube, particulary science-related topics.  This would be primarily for my 2nd & 4th graders.  What are your favorites?

Crash Course Kids has sometimes been useful for us. It can be tricky to find the right balance between kid appropriate and with enough depth.

SciShow Kids

Minute Earth

Spangler ScienceTV, TheSpanglerEffect, Sick Science

Particle Men - They Might Be Giants kids videos

It’s okay to be smart.  (PBS)

There are a lot of podcasts if audio format is ok: Brains on, WOW in the world, smash boom best (debate oriented), short and curly (ethics oriented), tumble.

TedEd - It covers science, history, all that stuff and works with both those ages.   Whatever topic I'm studying, I always look to see if TedEd has something on it. 

Crash Course - They have both videos for kids and videos for adults on various topics including science, history, government, philosphy (the kids one is Crash Course Kids and would be great for you youngest but your oldest might actually enjoy some of the stuff for adults too).

Extra Credits History and Politics - Extra credits main thing is gaming videos (really intelligent gaming videos, actually), but their History and Politics videos are GREAT and work for both those ages up through adulthood (deep enough for adults, funny and cartooned enough for kids...but not offensively funny).

They Might Be Giants music videos for your 2nd grader.  A lot of them touch on science.  I really like MOST of those.   I say "most" because there's at least one that I found to be sort of hostile toward faith/belief (The "Science is Real" song, which contrasts science with  "angles, unicorns and elfs").