Menu

Movie - 8th grade

Roadrunner

I’ve had several friends see it and greenlight it for their teens. The director said he was glad it was rated R because it would force parents to watch with their kids. We’ve been waiting to see it just because ds is still at camp. We tried to go a few weeks ago before he left, but we just couldn’t fit it in.

• Like 3

DH and I just saw it today!

I have to say I thought the movie NAILED it--the age, the modern (and also timeless) experience...all of it. I highly, highly recommend it. 

Whether you'd want your kids to see it is personal; it will depend on your comfort zone and theirs. I'd have no issue with it, but I think most of the subject matter wouldn't resonate with my DS and some it would make him feel very uncomfortable in a not positive way. That said, if he wanted to see I would be fine with it, but that's unlikely.

There are lots of good talking points if you do see it with your young teens, or at least want to talk about it after they see it. Depending on how open you are with your kids on sex, there might be some scenes that are uncomfortable, though nothing that should shock anyone who used to be that age.

Although there are some humorous scenes, it is not a comedy. I cried during much of it, both because it brought up so much pain from that part of my life, as well as from the parenting angle. To say this movie struck a nerve would be a huge understatement. I would suggest that the vast majority of teenage or formerly teenage girls will be able to relate to the main character, and most parents will be able to see something relate able in the father's role. I do think most of it is not appropriate or at least would go over the heads for kids much younger than middle school--7 th or 8 th grade, at any rate. Not so much because language or whatever, but because of the intensity and subject matter that is so age specific. 

• Like 3

Yes, I don’t want my kid feel like he is missing out on school. I understand the intent of the movie is faaaar from romanticizing the middle school, but I wonder if my socially deprived homeschooler will see it that way.

I see awkwardness from our PS friends, but my children are so oblivious to most of this and not bothered by peer pressure (mostly because they have so few peers ☹️).

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Is it one of those very dramatic, 13 reasons why-alike movies that will make my very drama free, super happy and chill 8th grader feel out like he missed out just so much life not going to school? I hate that crap. 8th grade was blissful here? and not just for me. ???

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes, I don’t want my kid feel like he is missing out on school. I understand the intent of the movie is faaaar from romanticizing the middle school, but I wonder if my socially deprived homeschooler will see it that way.

I see awkwardness from our PS friends, but my children are so oblivious to most of this and not bothered by peer pressure (mostly because they have so few peers ☹️).

I do think not having gone to middle school is a part of why my DS just wouldn't relate to the movie much (it did leave me feeling glad we kept him at home--not for sheltering reasons exactly, but because all the drama and anxiety wouldn't have suited him in various ways). Mine is and always has been a happy, confident and well adjusted kid; while the movie accurately (and painfully so) reflected my 13/14 year old self, I doubt he would see anything  there to relate to. I could be wrong of course; I am not unaware that teens experience many realities, not all of which even close parents may be aware of.

I'm not sure if the movie is more intended for parents or for teens. I suppose each will go in with different perspectives and get different messages from it. 

I would be interested to hear how teen boys react to the movie; if the main character's anxieties are primarily relate able to by girls or if boys see much of themselves there too (I suspect many would). 

• Like 3