Menu

Beast Academy questions

Bluegoat

Hi, I am looking at using some of these products next year, and wanted some experiences.

I'm particularly wondering how people found their online version to work.  I'm picturing using it as a supplement for Mathmammoth, but it isn't cheap enough for me to try without some feedback.  It looks like it includes everything, what I am mostly wondering is whether kids use it, and retain what they've done.

I'd also like to know if it's really worthwhile to get the version with the practice books as well, and if I should maybe try one month first and see how it goes.  Do people actually enrolled additional students separately?

The online version just went live in the last week, so I’m doubting you’ll get many responses. Those who were attending the in-person AOPS Academy classes got to beta test it this past year, but that’s going to be it for experience with it.

Hi I had the same questions you had as I had never done beast academy before and there is no free trial. A month costs $15 whereas the whole year is $96, so that’s a lot of difference, and you are not restricted to one year, you can access grades 3-5 and you determine how to provide access to the lessons to your child. My DD is starting third and in the past two days since I signed up has been enjoying using it. I only wish they had a mobile app to use. 

You can cancel within the first 14 days if u don’t like it, so after a lot of thought I decided to sign up for the whole year as it made more sense. Also when I signed up, I asked them (in comments) about the bundle offer with books in case I decided to buy them within the next few days and they were nice enough to send a coupon code to use within a month if I decide to get the book set. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 8:16 AM, LynnS said:

My son likes to re-re-reread the Guides because they're well-written and funny, so I feel buying physical copies of those would be worth it. They can often be found used, since they're not consumable. 

Agreed..... I wish they added a summary page of all the facts they  learn in each grade..... now I think i might need to make notes when i teach.

My two have been using the online program for a couple weeks.  It is easy to use though I may order the texts so they don't need to be read on the computer. I like that all levels are included as sometimes my dc like to start with review problems instead of the hard stuff.  I also like that you can go back and redo problems.  Accounts can be set up so all areas are open or so the problems need to be done sequentially. I recommend trying it to see what it is like and you can cancel within the free trial period if you don't.