Menu

Fifth Grade Grammar: Killgallon and Grammar for the WTM

For grammar and writing for my fifth-grader, I'm planning to use Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind and Killgallon's Middle School materials, and I'm trying to decide whether to use both Killgallon's "Sentence Composing" and "Paragraphs" or just "Paragraphs."

Would Killgallon "Sentence Composing" be redundant if I'm using Grammar for the WTM?

I think it might make sense to use both, but I can't tell for sure looking at the samples.

I encourage you to look for threads regarding Grammar for the Well Trained Mind. If you are using GWTM at the pacing recommended in the book (finish the book in one year), I do not recommend adding ANY additional grammar.  I am not sure if the Killlgallon materials are for composition only? If so, we added composition (IEW, about 30 minutes/day), so it would depend on your fifth grader's pacing with it (I know nothing of Killgallon unfortunately).   

My fifth grader has a tolerance of about 20-30 minutes/day of grammar--YMMV. We started in September because that is when the book came out. We made it to week 28 (out of 36).  It's a very robust and (IMO) rigorous grammar program once you get past the first ten weeks or so. Some of our sentence diagrams took a full page (keeping in mind their writing size).

For 5th grade this year, I am using Grammar for the Well Trained Mind for grammar. I am using both Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School and Paragraphs for Middle School for writing. SWB recco’d the Killgallon materials in her writing section as one of several options to bridge the gap between WWE and WWS.

The Killgallon materials are also the spine texts for the Expository Prep writing course on WTMAcademy.

6 hours ago, cintinative said:

I encourage you to look for threads regarding Grammar for the Well Trained Mind.

Thank you for this suggestion and your notes about your experience with GFTWTM, cintinative. It wasn't out when my older daughter was at this age, so it's new for me, and I can use all the guidance I can get!

5 hours ago, Domiche said:

For 5th grade this year, I am using Grammar for the Well Trained Mind for grammar. I am using both Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School and Paragraphs for Middle School for writing. SWB recco’d the Killgallon materials in her writing section as one of several options to bridge the gap between WWE and WWS.

The Killgallon materials are also the spine texts for the Expository Prep writing course on WTMAcademy.

This is so helpful, Domiche! I saw SWB's rec regarding Killgallon, but GFTWTM wasn't out yet (or at least I didn't see it in my edition), so I wasn't sure how it would work into things. It's helpful to know you're using both Killgallon texts and Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind.

Also helpful is the note about the WTMA class. My eldest has been using WTMA classes for science and math, and I've been very impressed. Knowing that the Killgallon is the spine for Expository Prep there is reassuring.