Menu

Astronomy - looking for something like Ellen McHenry units

The title really sums it up.

We're after an astronomy course/book that is similar in style to Ellen McHenry units.

My daughter put it this way. She said that the Ellen McHenry units are laced with humour, go to a good depth of knowledge and have regular quizzes.

I'm sure there are fabulous Great Courses and other video-based courses, but my daughter is preferring book work at the moment.

Any ideas of something that ticks these boxes?

Thanks ? 

Intellego Astronomy Unit Study is pretty good, not really humorous unfortunately but good none the less. McHenry is really unique in her approach and I just love her stuff. Maybe a unit study like Intellego or Astronomy through Art unit study coupled with Real Science 4 Kids Astronomy for upper grades since it follows the same cartoon explanations but isn't surface. Hmmmm...I will have to think some more about this one. 

• Like 1

I know this isn’t what you are looking for, but you got me thinking..... When we did Astronomy, my son watched a couple of different series on the SCI channel (I think). I can’t remember what they were called, but they are on all the time... about the comets, planets, stars., etc....... I’ll post when I remember.... anyway, he learned way more form those series than Elemntal science, or any books we had.  Maybe, your DD would like to watch the episodes, and create her own fun Ellen McHenry (who we love too) type of activities / curriculum? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, mirabillis said:

OP - what Ellen /mcHenry units have you tried and liked?

We used Carbon Chemistry/Elements last year for 6th and my son loved it. Can't figure out where to head for 7th.

We've used a range of Ellen McHenry's units:

- Mapping the Body with Art - these are video lessons and involve you drawing (biochem is done and we plan on moving on to parts 2, 3 and 4 once we finish botany)

- Cells

- The Brain

- Carbon Chemistry (currently working through)

- Botany (currently working through) 

- Mapping the World with Art (we didn't make it all the way through - we liked the info, but we didn't really engage with the mapping itself. Maybe we'll get back to it one day.)

- Excavating English (on our second go through - yep, we liked it that much)

I have a copy of Protozoa but we haven't done it yet. I'm just waiting for a gap in our studies to slot that one in.

So, we've pretty much used most of her units. We've also used a range of her free printables over the years too. The circulation game comes to mind.