Menu

Dr. thinks my bad balance is from neuropathy. Rec. balance meds?

Alicia64

I had my first visit w/ the first neurologist who really listened to me, took time etc.

I went in saying that I have terrible -- terrible -- balance. I look like I've had a glass of wine when I walk. It sounds like no big deal, but it's driving me crazy! I've had eight years of this. I see a doctor, get nowhere, give up. Then we move. Then I start the process again.

The dr. has scheduled me for an ENG, an EMG and an MRI -- so hopefully by the end of the month, he'll have a diagnosis.

But if I understand right, there's nothing to help neuropathy. I don't have any pain, but my two big toes are about 60 % numb. And my balance is awful, but no pain.

Any med suggestions?

TIA!!!!

Alley

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I take gabapentin for neuropathy 

Thanks! Have you noticed any side affects? I think a friend once said it wiped out her memory.

2 hours ago, HeighHo said:

Has the underlying cause been figured out?

B complex vitamins may help, but really you need the B12 level measured and some genetic work done

The ENG, EMG and MRI will hopefully give an underlying cause. I've been a vegetarian for decades, and have had my B12 checked -- it came back "high." (I eat enough dairy that I think it keeps me in B12.)

I have a family member that had neuropathy symptoms from low magnesium. I also have a friend that has balance issues due to numbness from a disc injury (nerve is slowly recovering), but hers is on just one side. IIRC minerals are crucial for good nerve functioning (stuff that ends in -um).

Not to be a downer, but there are people for whom MS starts this way. I really hope they find a root cause that is benign and reversible! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I have a family member that had neuropathy symptoms from low magnesium. I also have a friend that has balance issues due to numbness from a disc injury (nerve is slowly recovering), but hers is on just one side. IIRC minerals are crucial for good nerve functioning (stuff that ends in -um).

Not to be a downer, but there are people for whom MS starts this way. I really hope they find a root cause that is benign and reversible! 

Thanks Kbutton! You're not being a downer at all. I think I've been cleared of MS, Parkinsons, and Menieres. But, this is a new doctor, so who knows what he'll find.

I'm at a point in all this that I just would like some answers versus not having a clue.

I'm Googling low magnesium -- thanks for the "um" info!! ?

Alley

• Like 1

I have never had good balance, but when it gets *worse* than my baseline *not great*, I go to an accupuncturist, and in one treatment it's much better (up to or a little better than baseline) for about a year.  She thinks that it is somewhat related to digestive issues (I have a tendency toward GERD flareups and fatty liver) so I also drink fresh ginger tea fairly frequently, which is extremely helpful with the GERD.

5 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have never had good balance, but when it gets *worse* than my baseline *not great*, I go to an accupuncturist, and in one treatment it's much better (up to or a little better than baseline) for about a year.  She thinks that it is somewhat related to digestive issues (I have a tendency toward GERD flareups and fatty liver) so I also drink fresh ginger tea fairly frequently, which is extremely helpful with the GERD.

Thanks Carol! What do you tell the acupuncturist? Do you just explain that you have a balance problem? (I don't have GERD.)

I did acupuncture before IVF years ago -- and the IVF batch worked. (I have two boys who avoid me upstairs as I type!)

I'm up for trying acupuncture. How did you find a good one?

Alley

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

Thanks Carol! What do you tell the acupuncturist? Do you just explain that you have a balance problem? (I don't have GERD.)

I did acupuncture before IVF years ago -- and the IVF batch worked. (I have two boys who avoid me upstairs as I type!)

I'm up for trying acupuncture. How did you find a good one?

Alley

I told her that I have mild vertigo.  She asked me a whole lot of questions, took my pulses, looked at my tongue, and then told me that she was going to treat my vertigo by addressing the digestive stuff.  One treatment, and voila.  It was remarkable.  (It did not fix the GERD, but that's not what I went for anyway.)  

I met her at meetings of a business owners' club that I used to belong to.  I grew to trust her gradually, and when she mentioned vertigo in a short presentation she made, I headed right over there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Thanks! Have you noticed any side affects? I think a friend once said it wiped out her memory.

There are varying strengths when it comes to gabapentin. Which of course is true of anything but the range of doses possible goes up quite high. I am on a lower dose. If I go up even slightly I get dizzy so I stay at the lower dose. But it helps me at the low dose. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kbutton said:

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Though the MRI should help diagnose that as might a lumbar puncture. Also, MS is notoriously difficult to diagnose so it may take a while.You may find it helpful to keep a log of your symptoms. 

43 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Though the MRI should help diagnose that as might a lumbar puncture. Also, MS is notoriously difficult to diagnose so it may take a while.You may find it helpful to keep a log of your symptoms. 

Do MRIs diagnose MS?