Menu

"But you're not USING it!" Harrumph.

Chris in VA

3 hours ago, Hannah said:

This is the way we work too.  I would expect my child to ask before giving away something that is not specifically theirs.  Similarly, I have run some things by my husband before giving them away. 

How do you determine what is specifically theirs to give away?  If you bought it for them is it theirs to give or do they still need to ask? What about their school curriculum?

this thread brought back the memory when 1dd (probably 5ish) gave away her newborn baby doll to a playmate who was moving.   I did try to make sure she was serious - she was, and I allowed it.  I hadn't realized - it wasn't hers, it was 2dd's!   I was not amused.  I made her give her's to 2dd. (about 2 1/2)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

How do you determine what is specifically theirs to give away?  If you bought it for them is it theirs to give or do they still need to ask? What about their school curriculum?

if it is "theirs" and is a discretionary use, as opposed to a necessary use.  if they can live without it - they can do what they want with it.  if they have to have it for some reason that would require me to buy a replacement - no, they can't give it away,