Menu

Help! My dd's pierced ear has become a sliced ear!

Omma

My dd came to me this morning with a pierced ear hole that has torn all the way down and out the bottom of the ear, leaving a 'slice' instead of a hole.  I put a little hydrogen peroxide on it, but it did not bubble and does not look infected at all...

Now what do I do?  She can no longer wear earrings, obviously, but I do not know how to repair the tear and what priority it should take on my busy August list with a ds heading out-of-state to college for the first time in two weeks...

Anyone already deal with this problem?  Any advice from the Hive would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!!

Brenda

6 minutes ago, Omma said:

My dd came to me this morning with a pierced ear hole that has torn all the way down and out the bottom of the ear, leaving a 'slice' instead of a hole.  I put a little hydrogen peroxide on it, but it did not bubble and does not look infected at all...

Now what do I do?  She can no longer wear earrings, obviously, but I do not know how to repair the tear and what priority it should take on my busy August list with a ds heading out-of-state to college for the first time in two weeks...

Anyone already deal with this problem?  Any advice from the Hive would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!!

Brenda

Doctors know how to stitch and tend wounds. You could take her to a doctor.

• Like 10

I would call the her doctor. I have no experience in this matter, but the thought that stitches might be in order came to mind. If you don't have a family doctor, then one of the urgent care type places could help. 

Hopefully someone else will answer soon, but it wouldn't hurt to at least call a doctor.

ETA: Sorry, Tibbie and I were posting at the same time! 

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 1

Dr.'s office is closed now for lunch and then I have an appt. right after that to help a friend with homeschool options for her dc with CF.  Hmm...you all are making some good points, though, that I need to act on this sooner as opposed to later.  I guess because there is no pain, it doesn't seem as serious...so I do not think of it as a regular 'wound', but it is!

23 minutes ago, Omma said:

Dr.'s office is closed now for lunch and then I have an appt. right after that to help a friend with homeschool options for her dc with CF.  Hmm...you all are making some good points, though, that I need to act on this sooner as opposed to later.  I guess because there is no pain, it doesn't seem as serious...so I do not think of it as a regular 'wound', but it is!

You can meet with your friend another day. Your daughter is having a medical issue.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I once ripped my earring out while combing my hair. It sliced right through straight down.

I didn't wear earrings for a year and it healed itself completely. I still had the hole form the ear piercing and wear earrings all the time now no problems.

This is the strategy that my dd wants to take.  She is almost 17 and doesn't care about going in to a doctor.  We will just have to 'play it by ear' (no pun intended, lol), but I will likely still call and check in with our regular physician in the morning...

I have a sliced earlobe too. I was at the dermatologist for my routine skin check this past year and he offered to fix it for me (it had long since healed). I would need local anesthetic and it wouldn’t be covered by insurance. Then I would need to wait 3 months before repiercing the ear. 

I’m still deciding whether to do it. I have weirdness and anxiety about “unnecessary” medical stuff so I have to kind of talk myself into it. 

I would probably try to use butterfly bandages or that liquid skin stuff to keep the two sides together & promote them to heal together. I'd also use some petroleum jelly to keep it from creating a scab. You don't want a scab!

I did this after wearing too many heavy earrings at a job that required me be on the phone almost all day. It healed rather quickly and eventually I had another hole pierced in a slightly different spot. You can't even tell unless you're messing with my ear. 

I'm pretty sure I treated it like any other wound, kept it clean, probably some antibiotic ointment.