Menu

Quick question: transcript for dual enrollment application 9th grade

We are going to a community college later that DS13 is interested in. The dual enrollment form says to submit the form with an unofficial high school transcript (regardless of homeschool/public/private). The dual enrollment program is open to 9th graders and up.

DS13 is going into 9th grade this August. Does that mean I don’t need to type a transcript? I have printed his SAT and AP score reports. I have forgotten to print his ACT score report but have it on my phone and iPad. I figured I could order those score reports if the community college requires official ones from CollegeBoard and ACT. We are at the library at the moment and would be taking the bus from there to the community college. I could ask the admissions office later but figured I’ll ask here first.

Update:

I just do up a transcript and basically the only documentation that are important were the private school affidavit and his AP score report.

Edited by Arcadia

3 minutes ago, EKS said:

Does he have courses that he has done already that you plan to put on his high school transcript?  If so, I'd prepare a transcript with those courses.

The courses we can bring up from middle school (for California) is math and foreign language. The only valid course he has is AoPS calculus in 7th grade but I was thinking of just using his AP Calculus BC exam score to validate the math requirement. 

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I would say that the scores should be enough since he doesn't have a 'high school transcript' yet.

The admissions office unfortunately do want a high school transcript.  They told me to come back after high school starts and provide them with a first term/semester transcript for him. Also they don’t take SAT or ACT scores, just AP exam scores. 

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The admissions office unfortunately do want a high school transcript.  They told me to come back after high school starts and provide them with a first term/semester transcript for him. Also they don’t take SAT or ACT scores, just AP exam scores. 

It seems weird that the DE program is open to grade 9 and up, but that they require a high school transcript to enroll.  Does it mean that they don't allow any 9th graders to enroll for the first semester?

On 7/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, EKS said:

It seems weird that the DE program is open to grade 9 and up, but that they require a high school transcript to enroll.  Does it mean that they don't allow any 9th graders to enroll for the first semester?

They are on the quarter system. They basically don’t allow 9th graders for Fall quarter and I am too lazy to look for backdoors. 

What the counseling office said was to do the online student registration to get a student ID, go for a counseling session with his unofficial AP exams score report so that they can tell him which prerequisites can be satisfied using his exam scores. So he would be able to get the paperwork done before Winter quarter application opens. 

He likes the campus and their food court/dining hall so that’s a good thing.  

Edited by Arcadia
Oops, I meant Winter quarter not Spring.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

They are on the quarter system. They basically don’t allow 9th graders for Fall quarter and I am too lazy to look for backdoors. 

What the counseling office said was to do the online student registration to get a student ID, go for a counseling session with his unofficial AP exams score report so that they can tell him which prerequisites can be satisfied using his exam scores. So he would be able to get the paperwork done before Spring quarter application opens. 

He likes the campus and their food court/dining hall so that’s a good thing.  

Are you guys using a charter? If not, why not just take the CHPSE and enroll him that way?

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

But aren't CA high schools on the semester system?  Wouldn't they still be in session for the first semester when you need to provide documents for winter quarter?

53 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Are you guys using a charter? If not, why not just take the CHPSE and enroll him that way?

He doesn’t want to take another exam when he can just wait a quarter. He is not in a rush to dual enroll. We file the PSA.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EKS said:

But aren't CA high schools on the semester system?  Wouldn't they still be in session for the first semester when you need to provide documents for winter quarter?

Yes, California is generally on the semester system. I just need to provide an unofficial transcript with courses in progress for semester one.

I will also add-course descriptions were more relevant than grades in establishing the need for accsss to college classes. DD had a lot of stuff listed under the standard label (like “Middle school science-Life Science”, which included an in-depth entomology class that paralleled a university class her mentor was teaching, but did not give her credit since she did it at home with her mentor advising). Test scores supported her transcript.  

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Arcadia said:

Is your student attending any classes at a B&M HS or is everything homeschool based (out-sourced or otherwise)?  I would make sure that the CC understands what your situation is so you both are "on the same page" about what they are getting for a transcript.  If the later why not just gin up an interim grade report half through this "fall" and try to use that to get in the Winter quarter.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:34 PM, EKS said:

That is district dependent. All our 5 high schools are either on a trimester or a quarter system. The last one that was on a semester system transitioned to the trimester system last year.

ETA We are in Southern California.

Edited by Mabelen

5 hours ago, MarkT said:

If the later why not just gin up an interim grade report half through this "fall" and try to use that to get in the Winter quarter.

He would be considered as a homeschool applicant. I meant Winter quarter which starts on January 7th, 2019. Typed too fast. 

I would need to bring a copy of the Private School Affidavit for him after I filed with California Department of Education in October. The unofficial transcript they want would just have the subjects status as “in progress”. 

The college is very accessible by public transport for us, which is key since I can’t drive. We can make a few trips there if needed to.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I would just make a transcript showing what he will be taking in the fall and label those classes In Progress. Voila, a high school transcript. You could put the classes from 8th that counted for credit on there too if you'd like. Since they only want an unofficial transcript, I bet they'll take anything you hand them. They just have to check the box.

• Like 1

I would make an official transcript for middle school that lists all of his courses. His middle school experience has been the equivalent of high school. Schools are paperwork bureaucracies. They need paperwork. If you had gone in with an official transcript printed off your home computer in a sealed envelope with your signature across the sealed portion of the envelope, they would most likely have accepted it without question. (Btdt....absolutely ridiculous, but true. With our oldest Dd they wouldn't accept the transcript bc it wasn't in a sealed envelope with a sig on the seal even though I was there with her and it was my signature on the transcript!  Bureaucracy at its finest. Not logical. Just rules.)

I have found presenting our paperwork just like B&M students goes a long way to "validating" our homeschool. After talking with admissions on the phone at the universities where ds DE at an age where they did not really have students that age DEing, I learned that going in with "official" paperwork allowed them to visually process his application just like any other admit. The conversations went from dismissive to "I will arrange for a meeting with the registrar."

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 4

I agree that it is a matter of getting the materials in the form they want. Transcript, check (didn’t matter that it included material through 6th grade and in progress during 7th, it was a transcript). ACT scores sent from ACT, Check. Birth certificate, documentation of residency, and shot record (which stopped at the ones required to enter middle school), check. 

For becoming degree seeking-GPA of at least 2.5 on 12 credit hours-check. Signature of advisor-check. 

It’s all about having that paperwork. And recognizing that when they ask your 11 yr old if she needs child care, they mean for HER kids :). 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I agree that it is a matter of getting the materials in the form they want. 

It is because he wants to enroll as a dual enrollment high school student. For that the gatekeepers on duty wants the transcript after the local school districts has started school. My district is one of the earliest and starts on August 16th. The district this community college is in starts on August 22nd. They basically don’t expect any 9th grader to apply until September for the dual enrollment program. They also want a printout of the 2018/19 Private School Affidavit (filed annually with dept of education) for California homeschoolers. They didn’t want SAT or ACT scores but want AP scores. 

From their policies page for the dual enrollment program 

“Basic fees are waived on top of the $31 per unit charge. The cost of textbooks, other course fees such as materials fees, and parking fees are not waived.

Limitations on Enrollment and Fees:

High school dual enrollment students may enroll in up to 10 units in the fall, winter and spring quarters and six units in the summer session.”

Edited by Arcadia