Menu

Ballet Birthday party...

4KookieKids

So I have a dd turning 7 next month who has her heart set on a ballet birthday party. She's a bit ballet-obsessed. The cake with the pointe shoe frosting, I don't mind doing. But I'm a little concerned about her other ideas of what she wants her party to look like. Basically, she wants to do with friends all the things she loves to do: watch the Snow White ballet off of youtube, dress up in ballet outfits, and then choreograph and dance for another several hours. Thing is, I find it doubtful that the friends she's inviting (only three friends) care much about ballet, much less want to sit through a 2 hour youtube video of a professional ballet (even with snacks...) Is there any way to ease up on the dancing requirements imposed on her friends with more casual ballet games/activities or make this work (e.g., if we found cute little tutus and leotards for under $5 from Amazon, would a tutu party favor be enough to entice non-ballet-loving girls to dance for an hour)? Her friends aren't anti-dance -- they just lack the single-minded obsession that dd has. Just looking for ideas here! ?

I think tutus would be a fantastic party favor!  My thought as I was reading went to ribbon circlets for their hair - there's something about those that make me want to dance?. It might be kind of fun to do like Simon Says after teaching them a few of the steps or offer something like bubbles or use an indoor planetarium light to make effects as they choreograph.

• Like 2

Is Angelina Ballerina too young for that age group?? Maybe having something like that they watch...and an associated craft.

Choreograph your own 30 second dance..... any moves acceptable....contest.

Putting each other's hair in a bun type contest?

Maybe a Simon Says around the five foot positions?

• Like 2

I’m aiming for the party to be two hours, including a light meal (she is easily overwhelmed and overstimulated, hence only the three guests). 

These are all great ideas! Thank you! I’ve been banging my head against a wall just trying to figure out how to give her the party she wants, while still making it fun for her friends. She’s a very shy, anxious child, and she’s be devastated if her friends didn’t like her party. Figuring  our how to reconcile that with her dance obsession left me scratching My head! Lol

• Like 1

Freeze dance, ribbons/scarves, dance like specific animal, leap of death (how many stuffies/friends can you leap over), and dance with bubble wands outside.   All with ballet or Disney music in the background.   Maybe you could watch short excerpts of ballet before each activity?   Like, if you’re going to use a song from the nutcracker, watch a dance to that song  

Idk, just adding some ideas for you!

• Like 2

DD#1 had a ballet party one year. We actually had it at a local music/dance/art place, and they had one of their instructors choreograph a simple, brief dance to teach the girls during the party, and then the girls performed for the parents at the end. DD picked the music she wanted them to use ahead of time.

Even if you don't use that type of venue, it might be worth looking for someone who can do that sort of activity. DD and her friends had a fabulous time.

• Like 2

I would simply tell her that you don't watch TV at a birthday party, you socialize with your friends. That gets rid of the biggest problem. 

Two hours is pretty short, so you don't have to plan a ton of things. I wouldn't bother with leotards, give out tutus as they arrive and they can just pull it over their clothes. I think teaching the basic positions might work, and certainly they might enjoy dancing around a bit. Particularly if you video them, lol. Have plenty of party games at the ready and move on when interest flags. And hey, I found ballerina party games! https://www.thespruce.com/ballerina-party-games-2104598

If you happen to know a tween or teen dancer who can be bribed into teaching the steps and leading the dances, that would be ideal. Little girls tend to be fascinated and dazzled by big girls. 

Because of the anxiety, make sure you talk to her about different things that might happen at the party. We might play six party games, or we might play only three. We might dance a lot, or we might dance a little and then get on the swings with tutus on. Any of those things will be fun! 

• Like 2

If you do find a teen to lead the dance, perhaps she could be in costume. Younger dancers love to see those bigger ballerinas in all their glory.

Also, if you do end up wanting a movie, maybe one of the Barbie ballerina ones would work like Nutcracker or Twelve Dancing Princesses.

Edited by iamonlyone

I agree with finding a teen dance student to come and give a mini lesson. That will provide a bit of structure for the girls that might feel lost if asked to come up with their own moves, plus make it more “real” rather than improvised. 

Maybe have the music from the ballet your dad likes playing in the background during the party?