Menu

writing paper with raised lines

At my daughter's vision therapy today she was writing on paper with raised lines and it helped her handwriting tremendously. I'm on a super tight budget right now because of paying for therapy and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make paper with raised lines? 

I don’t know a cheap way.  But a mention — my son used raised-line paper in OT, and it helped him a lot too, to feel the bump and get that feedback when he was writing.  

But he didn’t need it very long.  It wasn’t something where he went on to use it for a long time.  So you might be able to buy a packet and not expect it to be a permanent ongoing expense.  

Edit:  I looked at the pp’s link and those are great suggestions.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I would think stacking a few sheets and just tracing a line with a pencil and a ruler would do it.  If you press hard, then turn the paper over, it will be slightly raised.  Or a butter knife edge would work.  The commercial bought paper isn’t super tactile like a glue line.  Though for younger kids that might be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, displace said:

I would think stacking a few sheets and just tracing a line with a pencil and a ruler would do it.  If you press hard, then turn the paper over, it will be slightly raised.  Or a butter knife edge would work.  The commercial bought paper isn’t super tactile like a glue line.  Though for younger kids that might be better.

True, the line isn't super tactile, just enough of a bump to give a bit of feedback. I might try your idea of stacking sheets together and tracing the line with a butter knife edge. It's worth a shot anyway! 

The OT also wants us to be strict about practicing proper capitol letters in proper places (she'll put random capitols in the middle of words) but she's 10 and this is something I've been onto her about ever since she started writing, it's not like I've "let it slide" so anyone have any great ideas how to get her to improve in this area other than continuing to do copywork and make her fix the mistakes like we have been doing?

Maybe you can reduce scaffolding a bit on the capitals.  It depends on the feedback.  If you are pointing out each capital letter, or circling it, then she fixes it... you could be more obscure to help her find them.  I see (X) capital letters where they should not be.  Can you find them?  Then move on to gentle hints... what things do we capitalize in a sentence, are those things in this work?  Can you think why I’m asking about capital letters?  If you already do that, maybe have her have a checkbox for her sentences/work.  We use the COPS acronym (Capitalization Orientation/organization  Punctuation Spelling).  She can look at that and do self-editing.  

Does she have trouble recognizing capitals in other work?  Maybe an editing workbook with incorrect capitalization that she finds and corrects?

I think the embossing/pressing would work, but you will need relatively stiff paper (saying this in case you are using that flimsy school paper vs. notebook paper). Another option might be to emboss lines into a piece of cardboard (maybe cereal box thickness) that she can put under whatever paper she uses now. 

Does she have ocular motor issues or did she in the past? Both of my kids did, and I think that can delay getting the visual system to link up with how writing should "feel." The child that had  the biggest issues related to hands and eyes had some neck reflex issues that made his eyes and hands stay "tied" together--if he looked up or side to side, his hands moved as well, and then he had to start over. If he moved his hands, his eyes moved, and then he had to find his place over again. Very frustrating!

My 10 year old does the random capitol thing as well when he prints. With cursive, it's significantly harder to randomly capitalize. I like the COPS acronym idea--never heard of it! I think it's probably also good to have her find them as a separate step at first. It gets better over time, but in his case, it seems to be certain letters. I think they are just not automatic with printing. 

Does she feel like her writing utensil floats regardless of what she's using? My older son likes the Bic click pens--he can feel them. When I was young, I used medium pens vs. fine pens, and it helped a lot. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mamashark said:

True, the line isn't super tactile, just enough of a bump to give a bit of feedback. I might try your idea of stacking sheets together and tracing the line with a butter knife edge. It's worth a shot anyway! 

The OT also wants us to be strict about practicing proper capitol letters in proper places (she'll put random capitols in the middle of words) but she's 10 and this is something I've been onto her about ever since she started writing, it's not like I've "let it slide" so anyone have any great ideas how to get her to improve in this area other than continuing to do copywork and make her fix the mistakes like we have been doing?

Has she started working on typing? It may become more clear to her with typing since it takes touching the shift key to make a capital letter. 

My son used the tactile raised line paper in OT but at home I used a notebook where I highlighted every other line. This allowed him to focus on the the writing. Here is an example but I just used regular wide ruled paper. 

https://www.schoolspecialty.com/abilitations-wide-ruled-notebook-paper-1335536?gclid=CjwKCAjwkYDbBRB6EiwAR0T_-kXAk3WWBzPvpLKKaraufSRjnsiYKn-T4UQcOXQoQ6BWcCYbmp_XGRoC_sAQAvD_BwE

Also I learned a trick of placing a dark line sheet of paper underneath turned sideways. My son has a really hard time leaving enough space between words so I told him when he finished a word then just skip to the next vertical line that showed through the paper. 

She does type very well but she really wanted to do more hand-writing instead of typing everything...I Think she is self-conscious of her handwriting compared to her peers and wanted to get better. Maybe I need to ensure she's comfortable with writing the lower case letters to ensure that's not holding her back.

I like the idea of highlighting every other line! 

I use graph paper with her for math and have had to teach her how to use the grids but it helps her tremendously.