Menu

Best Odyssey translation?

Anyone want to make a case for a particular translation of The Odyssey? I'm starting off the year with it for my three oldest, who are in 7th, 9th, and 12th grades. I have on hand translations by Edward McCrorie, Robert Fagles, and EV Rieu (Penguin Classics). Apparently I'm not capable of passing up a copy at the thrift store...

46 minutes ago, stlily said:

The Robert Fagles translation is the one recommended in both the 3rd and 4th editions of TWTM.  That's the one I purchased for my daughter for the upcoming school year.

I should have thought to check there! Thanks--we just did a side by side comparison of the first few lines for the three translations I have, and the kids and I all liked Fagles the best. There's an interesting sounding translation that came out last year (first by a woman, I think)....but I'm going to resist buying yet another translation and stick with Fagles ?

We like Fagles, but having different translations on hand actually makes it really interesting when you are doing The Odyssey as a group. Each kid has a different one and we share interesting differences from the ones in front of us.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

We like Fagles, but having different translations on hand actually makes it really interesting when you are doing The Odyssey as a group. Each kid has a different one and we share interesting differences from the ones in front of us.

So you're saying I DO have an excuse to buy another one ?. We'll definitely spend time comparing the different translations....I love talking about stuff like that!

• Like 2

My son who did AP Latin prefers the Fagles (we might have 3 different copies at the house now).  I did get the new translation by Emily Wilson as a Kindle book when it was new.  The interview with the author was really enticing.  https://www.tor.com/2018/05/03/all-the-voices-of-the-odyssey-emily-wilson-on-language-translation-and-culture/  As interesting as it is to see a woman's translation, I was even more taken by her explanation of how she made translation choices.

• Like 3

In a related question, though... I'm working on which version of the Iliad to have dc3 read, and I've discovered quite a discrepancy in line numbering between translations.  It's rather aggravating, as I can't just quickly flip from one to the next to quickly see different translations of the same line; I may have to search a bit somewhere within 30 lines or so to find the right spot.  Do those of you who have multiple copies of the Odyssey have the same problem?   FWIW, the translations I'm looking at tonight are by Fagles, Fitzgerald, Alexander, and Mitchell.