Menu

High School Math for dyslexia/handwriting issues

*LC

I know I read a thread (or more) on this in the past, but I am coming up empty while searching now that I am thinking about upper math for my kid with these issues.

Any suggestions of what worked? What didn't? 

One suggestion that I remember was acting as the student's scribe, so he/she can concentrate on the math, not the writing. I plan to do that.

I would love something that is written to the student, and it doesn't require me to be the "interpreter/teacher." I don't want to explain the why's of high school math; if I ever knew, I've long forgotten. I am fine working through the problems with the sudent; I am actually pretty good at working the problems...just can't explain it.

Thank you. 

I love math - especially the upper levels.  So I teach and scribe everything for my severely dyslexic 12 year old son.  We did Geometry last year and will be doing Algebra 1 this year.   If I didn't personally teach, I would use Teaching Textbooks.  My older son uses it and loves it.  I don't have the time to work with him as much as I would like, but the program is very self-directed and works well for him.  

I think it would work well for teaching someone with dyslexia.  Lots of review, very visual. I would let the program teach and then do the problems together.   Definitely my choice if I wasn't wanting to do it personally.  

I've had great success with MUS for my 3 dyslexic (1 dysgraphic, too) students.  Lots of white space and not an overabundance of problems to do - or to cross out and tell student not to do.  I do watch the DVD lesson with student on Monday and we stop the dvd and work the sample problems on a white board and once my student is comfortable we move on.  I also keep a running cheat sheet(s) of formulas, etc. on the wall that my ds can refer to so as not to slow down the progress of the lesson - that has probably been the biggest help.  This has been the only curriculum that has achieved retention over the long haul.  I did give Teaching Textbooks a go a few years back but we ran into issues of having to do work on paper and then type it in - and somewhere in that process the concepts were getting lost.  Just my experience.  Mileage may vary.