Menu

Reccomendations for Spanish 3 or 4 online

My daughter LOVES Homeschool Spanish Academy!  She has a favorite teacher, who is super sweet; they always have a few minutes at the beginning to practice conversation, even if it's not related to the specific grammar lesson.

I love that they have a proposed curriculum and a plan for how long that curriculum will take, but at the same time, if your child learns quickly, they can progress through more than one lesson in a class period, or they can do less review.  Otoh, they can do more review if needed.

We did a trial lesson of Homeschool Spanish Academy.  My daughter was thoroughly unimpressed. she said you could hear four or five different conversations going on in the background which was very distracting.  She also felt life it was not nearly rigorous enough to help her advance.  I also felt like it was really expensive compared to other online classes.  They quoted me $600 for a school year. Maybe I should buy 5 lessons and try again. 

HSA isn't for everyone. (DD#1 uses it in the summer to keep up her grammar & used it last year as a supplement starting in December since her online class was truly horrible.)

If you are looking for rigor, Ray Leven is your guy. He'll do a Skype or phone conversation with your daughter for placement purposes. The bad news is that it is $800 plus the textbook, so definitely more than HSA.

In theory, Wilson Hill Academy's Spanish 4 Conversation class is what you are looking for, but DD#1 took it last year and I could NOT recommend it at all. It is $690 plus materials, so, again, more than HSA.

If your daughter was starting from the beginning, I'd suggest looking into La Clase Divertida with Sr. Gamache. It is more like $425 for the class plus book ($220ish). So, again, more than HSA. They use the same text all three years, so it is a good option if you start with Spanish 1 or 2. However, I don't know how good it would be to jump in at the 3rd level - having used different materials than the rest of the kids. It would finish covering grammar & there is a decent amount of reading, but not much writing.

No experience with any of the following: Excelsior has a Spanish 3 ($550 + textbook). HSLDA has a Spanish 3 ($575 + materials). Finally, the Potter School has Spanish 3 and Spanish 4/5 (with available AP supplement as a separate class). $488 plus materials. There might be more providers out there. The Foreign Language pinned thread lists more options if you take the time to look through it & find each provider's list. There are some reviews in that thread.

Your daughter might also be interested in 121Spanish. They have a free trial.  

31 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

HSA isn't for everyone. (DD#1 uses it in the summer to keep up her grammar & used it last year as a supplement starting in December since her online class was truly horrible.)

If you are looking for rigor, Ray Leven is your guy. He'll do a Skype or phone conversation with your daughter for placement purposes. The bad news is that it is $800 plus the textbook, so definitely more than HSA.

In theory, Wilson Hill Academy's Spanish 4 Conversation class is what you are looking for, but DD#1 took it last year and I could NOT recommend it at all. It is $690 plus materials, so, again, more than HSA.

If your daughter was starting from the beginning, I'd suggest looking into La Clase Divertida with Sr. Gamache. It is more like $425 for the class plus book ($220ish). So, again, more than HSA. They use the same text all three years, so it is a good option if you start with Spanish 1 or 2. However, I don't know how good it would be to jump in at the 3rd level - having used different materials than the rest of the kids. It would finish covering grammar & there is a decent amount of reading, but not much writing.

No experience with any of the following: Excelsior has a Spanish 3 ($550 + textbook). HSLDA has a Spanish 3 ($575 + materials). Finally, the Potter School has Spanish 3 and Spanish 4/5 (with available AP supplement as a separate class). $488 plus materials. There might be more providers out there. The Foreign Language pinned thread lists more options if you take the time to look through it & find each provider's list. There are some reviews in that thread.

Your daughter might also be interested in 121Spanish. They have a free trial.  

Thank you, this is all great information.  We've been spoiled by an excellent teacher at our homeschool co-op and the online classes aren't what we are wanting.  I'll look at these.

My daughter did Spanish 1 with WHA last year and did very well.  She tried Homeschool Spanish Academy but did not like it.  She is going to do Spanish 2 with WHA this year.  I highly recommend Samantha Lucas as a teacher.  She is new to WHA, but she has lots of experience and taught at a classical school in our town. 

I just noticed you are looking for Spanish 3 or 4....  Becky Pliego at WHA is a native speaker and highly recommended, but my daughter found her intimidating for Spanish 1.  I know WHA was looking for someone to develop a Spanish 4 curriculum, but I don't think they found anyone for this school year.

I can tell you that my daughter took a handful of classes to get used to HSA.  They allow the trial and then four classes before you can no longer get a refund.  We tried several teachers until she found just the right one.  I thought $600 (which is for 60 classes) was pretty good for individual classes at the student's pace, but admittedly, I didn't compare it to other online Spanish classes.  But in 60 classes, my daughter was able to complete all of Spanish 1A, all of Spanish 1B, all of Spanish 2A, and several lessons' worth of Spanish 2B, with easy As.  She had had DuoLingo and Getting Started With Spanish before that but no other Spanish classes; I think she was a little nervous during the placement test, so they put her in Spanish 1A to start.  She hasn't had trouble hearing, but we did get her a headset too; actually, if she has trouble hearing at all, it's because despite my efforts, little brothers sometimes make noise outside the door, sigh.  I am anxious to see how it works once she finishes Spanish 2B.  The biggest problem we've had is that since she's able to get through two lessons during one class period many days, two class periods a week doesn't leave her a lot of time in between to get homework done, especially with other schoolwork and activities, so we dropped down to one class a week for the spring and early summer, and we will reevaluate once her other fall classes start up.

But of course, it isn't for everyone, so ymmv of course.

I know you want something on-line but if you/your dd are willing to consider something not on-line I recommend Destinos. My dc complete Galore Park through level 2 then move to Destinos and it has worked wonderfully. I chose this as it was what my professors used when I was in college and I like how comprehensive it is (grammar, listening, writing). Plus it is relatively inexpensive.

• Like 1