Menu

Planning, Stressing, and Asking for Advice

Kerry Blue

I'm stressing over next year. It is causing anxiety, and today I have recognized signs of depression (though I'm not sure planning is the sole cause). If someone could please look over what I have so far and comment, I'd appreciate it greatly.

DD10, technically 5th grade:

Math: Beast Academy 5

Reading: I'm working on a list of good books for her to choose from which to read, and debating if I should start trying to have conversations with her about her reading.

Writing: Treasured Conversations

Grammar: First section of TC, then probably back to KISS

Spelling: Continuing All About Spelling

Typing: She will try Burning Cargo.

Latin: Continue Great Latin Adventure I

Science: Elemental Science Biology for Logic Stage

History/Geography: Notgrass America the Beautiful, probably just the first half this year

Music: I want to do some composer study and music lessons. I need to find more structure for the composer study for it to actually happen. DD wants to learn how to play the fiddle. I'm still working on how to make that happen too.

Art: We tried mom led art and it didn't work out, so I'm leaning towards Artistic Pursuits now. She wants to learn how to draw better, but I believe she will also want to jump in with her little sisters' K-3 AP. I'm not sure if I should let her try to do both, or just make her stick with one. 

Bible: Family reading time and I'm currently thinking she could do How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur by herself.

Health: Undecided. I have not gotten this far yet, but we need something.

PE: A headache. Yoga at home last year was a flop. I'd like to do YMCA classes, but I'm not sure about the money and time.

DD8, technically 3rd grade:

Reading: Finish with Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and trade books.

Writing: Writing with Ease 3

Math: Beast Academy 3

Spelling: Continue with All About Spelling

Grammar: KISS

Music: She wants to do piano, and has enjoyed Hoffman Academy Online so far.

DD6, technically 1st grade:

Reading: Continue with Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and trade books.

Writing: Writing with Ease 1

Math: Right Start B

Grammar: KISS

I'd like DD8 and DD6 to piggy back with DD10 for science, history/geography, art, PE, music and Bible. I'm not sure if this is realistic. But just the thought of splitting them up for all those subjects... I don't know how to make it work. It seems like I already have so much scheduled that needs to be one-on-one mom time. Then to add outsourced subjects? Realistically, one PE activity will probably take 3 hours away from home (driving, class, etc.). I don't know when I am supposed to do all this... Is there something more that I am missing??

Music: do it over lunch or in the car.  We have a set of the Maestro Classics cds which introduce composers and pieces.  You don't have to go that route, but it is easy.  You can choose a different composer each month and play songs by that person through youtube or Amazon prime, and find brief biographies.  This site has a list of composer studies available, some free, some not.

I'd give up science for the 6 & 8yo, or do something quick like BFSU/Mystery Science.

• Like 4

I would plan on all language arts subjects and math every day. I would form a of block science, history, and Latin 3 days a week and a block of health/PE, art/music, and bible 2 days a week alternating between health/PE (iow, 1day each) and art/music.  I could not do that many subjects every day at that age. 

I send my kids outside to play. They don't have any formal PE at that age. They are running, biking, jumping on the trampoline, and swinging on monkey bars/swings. If they were not naturally active, I would start every single day with a morning walk or exercise time (we are doing that anyway right now. I am walking in the morning and I am letting them either walk or ride their bikes with me.)

ETa: fwiw, depending on your 3rd grader, you might be able to combine the 2 oldest for parts of TC. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Music: do it over lunch or in the car.  We have a set of the Maestro Classics cds which introduce composers and pieces.  You don't have to go that route, but it is easy.  You can choose a different composer each month and play songs by that person through youtube or Amazon prime, and find brief biographies.  This site has a list of composer studies available, some free, some not.

I'd give up science for the 6 & 8yo, or do something quick like BFSU/Mystery Science.

Could you explain Maestro Classics? Every time I look at it I see the Mike Mulligan book cover and assume it's just the book read to nice orchestral music. What is it really? Thanks!

23 minutes ago, alisha said:

Could you explain Maestro Classics? Every time I look at it I see the Mike Mulligan book cover and assume it's just the book read to nice orchestral music. What is it really? Thanks!

Each cd has a small activity book/reader tucked inside, but the meat is in the cd. Each as about 6-7 tracks:

1. The orchestra plays the piece with a story accompaniment read along with it (remember Peter & The Wolf? Like that)
2. The biography from the activity book is read aloud.
3. A small piece by the same composer
4. A breakdown of the title piece and how different effects were made, a little more about the composer.
5. The orchestra plays the title piece without the story
6. A second small piece, or the previous one without lyrics (if it had that)
7. Another piece or a playful bit or an isolated part of the title piece with information about it.

They've led us to some really cool pieces.  Right now I have The Carnival Of Animals in the car.  When we found out St. Saens wouldn't allow it to be published until after his death because people wouldn't take him seriously, we looked up other pieces of his work and found out he composed for silent movies and that yes, he did much more serious things but we could hear the same signatures between them all.  Also found some cool videos on youtube that people had put together with his music.  It's our thing to do while we wait for other activities.

I just grabbed Mike Mulligan.  Here are the listed tracks:
1. Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, composed/conducted by Stephen Simon, read by Yadu.
2. About the author
3. Mike Mulligan Song by the jazz quartet
4. About The Music - Music Lesson with the Maestro
5. Now That You Know A Little More (repeat of title piece without reading)
6. Want to have some fun? Prepare to perform
7. Mike Mulligan sing-a-long

So, some are well known children's pieces, some are children's books with original music. ?

• Like 2

(((hugs)))

It looks like you are WAY prepared with something planned for every single subject, so I'll just toss in 2 thoughts:

1. Almost all of your curriculum choices are mom-intensive. If you are already feeling the beginning signs of depression just from planning, then, gently, being stretched thin when you actually do the mom-intensive programs is apt to push you further in that direction. I'd suggest having a plan B in case you need to back down your expectations a bit if you start feeling overwhelmed. Here are some ideas for options to help streamline if you get crunched:
- go with videos and books for History as they fit in rather than trying to do a full program
- go with an independent "just get 'er done" workbook for Geography for the older 2 children
- drop Health, drop Grammar with the younger 2 children
- for PE just go for a brisk walk around the neighborhood in the morning before starting school, and have jump ropes, bouncy balls you sit on and bounce around on, and a mini-trampoline available during the day for the kids; etc.

2. Your kids are young, and really do NOT need to do all subjects every day. I'd suggest starting off gently for the first few weeks with just your core subjects (reading, writing, math) plus some fun read-alouds and hands on crafts or projects, and then add in the remaining subjects -- 2 this week, 2 the following week -- and see how it goes. I'd also strongly recommend NOT trying to do all subjects every day. Also consider going with a 4-day a week schedule, and then you can use your 5th day to get out for field trips and fun outings and for "finish up/catch up" of

Here's one possible example:

5x/week
- Bible
- Reading
- Math

4x/week
- Writing
- Spelling
- Latin
- Typing

3x/week
- Grammar

2x/week
- History (and the other 2 days for Science)
- Science (and the other 2 days for History)
- Geography
- Health

1x/week
- Music
- Art

PE = morning walk or exercise with a video, physical activities as they come in afternoons, weekends, summers

BEST of luck and wishing a GREAT new school year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 6

Our children are in similar grades.

I'm combining history and science. We are doing sotw ancients even though my oldest has been through it and my middle child is halfway through. So my oldest may be a little behing in the history rotation by the time he reaches logic stage. But he'll have a thorough understanding of the first 2 volumes! And have fun with his sisters. ?

I was thinking of doing rso life with all three and mystery science. Currently, I'm doing rso environmental for the summer and it is working out with all three.

I would combine art. We are hopefully going to do home art studio. I think we are in the middle of first grade. (We have neglected a formal art program.) We moved and i just don't have the same set up.)

I also  will take advantage of when one is in gymnastic class. I  can teach the other 2 during that time.

Hey, us mamas can only do so much!

Hth

Science: Let the little two watch and ‘help’ when your older child does their experiment.  Then get a video or book from the library on the topic.  If your third grader loves science, use the younger sibling readings at the back of your Elemental Science teachers guide.  Otherwise, let it go.

Ok, you've got 5th grade, 3rd grade, 1st grade.  I see lots of components on your list/lots of teacher-intensive things, too (like other posters already said) and a lot of curriculum.  I don't want you to feel like you have to redo your entire plan, but just say hypothetically....

With these ages, you can focus on these subjects and be just fine:

• Language Arts (handwriting, spelling, writing, and grammar for the 5th & 3rd grader)
  • Math
  • Readers and Read-alouds (and these could be anything from literature to science books)

Those 3 subjects have always been my basic plan when we had a lot going on or when I was feeling burned out.  These 3 things should really be the focus at those ages.

If you want, you could combine the oldest two for:

• Science 
  • History
  • maybe Art/Music if they want

And don't feel like you have to use curriculum.  I mean, they could just read books from the library about science topics...or you guys could do some nature study together...or they could do a project that they choose to do.  Documentaries on Netflix work, too.  My kids used to love this documentary where they explored insects at their level (and the show made all these weird special effects noises that I *know* insects don't actually make - Lol).  Documentary on pandas or sea creatures while everybody eats lunch...check off science for the day...  ?

For 1st grade and 3rd grade, my kids really only spent about an hour and a half per day on "school".  I always let them have a ton of time to explore their own interests, do projects, play, ride their bikes, etc.  And they've turned out fine.  One of my teens designed and built a computer last year.  My oldest is scoring in the low 30s on ACT practice tests.  I didn't mess up my kids.  We never did an outsourced class until last year (and my kids are in high school).  Don't feel like you are messing up your kids.  

You won't be able to teach well if you're not taking care of yourself, too.  And I'm worried, because it sounds like you're having a lot of anxiety.  You can NOT mess up 3rd grade!  Lol.  You obviously care a lot about their education and you will do a great job!  

It's easy to read this forum and become overwhelmed.  Most people on here are using a ton of curriculum and outsourcing a lot of classes.  Simplify as much as you need to and don't feel guilty.  Even I had to simplify my high schoolers' plan during like Week 8 of our school year this year (we school year-round).  I cut out 2-3 things.  I could see that we had way too many little components in our schedule.  All the kids do is raise their eyebrows, shrug and then move on with their day (they're used to my craziness).  

Take breaks if you need to, also.  Hoping all that anxiety goes away!  I hope you guys have a great school year.        

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Evanthe said:

Ok, you've got 5th grade, 3rd grade, 1st grade.  I see lots of components on your list/lots of teacher-intensive things, too (like other posters already said) and a lot of curriculum.  I don't want you to feel like you have to redo your entire plan, but just say hypothetically....

With these ages, you can focus on these subjects and be just fine:

• Language Arts (handwriting, spelling, writing, and grammar for the 5th & 3rd grader)
  • Math
  • Readers and Read-alouds (and these could be anything from literature to science books)

Those 3 subjects have always been my basic plan when we had a lot going on or when I was feeling burned out.  These 3 things should really be the focus at those ages.

If you want, you could combine the oldest two for:

• Science 
  • History
  • maybe Art/Music if they want

And don't feel like you have to use curriculum.  I mean, they could just read books from the library about science topics...or you guys could do some nature study together...or they could do a project that they choose to do.  Documentaries on Netflix work, too.  My kids used to love this documentary where they explored insects at their level (and the show made all these weird special effects noises that I *know* insects don't actually make - Lol).  Documentary on pandas or sea creatures while everybody eats lunch...check off science for the day...  ?

For 1st grade and 3rd grade, my kids really only spent about an hour and a half per day on "school".  I always let them have a ton of time to explore their own interests, do projects, play, ride their bikes, etc.  And they've turned out fine.  One of my teens designed and built a computer last year.  My oldest is scoring in the low 30s on ACT practice tests.  I didn't mess up my kids.  We never did an outsourced class until last year (and my kids are in high school).  Don't feel like you are messing up your kids.  

You won't be able to teach well if you're not taking care of yourself, too.  And I'm worried, because it sounds like you're having a lot of anxiety.  You can NOT mess up 3rd grade!  Lol.  You obviously care a lot about their education and you will do a great job!  

It's easy to read this forum and become overwhelmed.  Most people on here are using a ton of curriculum and outsourcing a lot of classes.  Simplify as much as you need to and don't feel guilty.  Even I had to simplify my high schoolers' plan during like Week 8 of our school year this year (we school year-round).  I cut out 2-3 things.  I could see that we had way too many little components in our schedule.  All the kids do is raise their eyebrows, shrug and then move on with their day (they're used to my craziness).  

Take breaks if you need to, also.  Hoping all that anxiety goes away!  I hope you guys have a great school year.        

I was about to type out a very similar post as this, but it is well said here so why be redundant.  I had times when my older three were in elementary where I was in survival mode and if we did math, English, handwriting, and they read a few chapters on their own .... we had to call that good.  My kids are solid as a rock academically.  It hasn't hurt them at all.  We all have seasons.  Give yourself grace.  Lots of reading from real books and playtime outside....it does wonders for the mind of a child. ❤️ 

• Like 4

On 7/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, HomeAgain said:

I like the idea of doing music over lunch. Maybe that will get them not to be so silly with each other? (I can hope.) The links look promising.

Last year I had trouble getting BFSU done because it was not open and go, so I had completely forgotten about it. I'll try to get it out again and see if I could work out my own schedule for teaching and another schedule for ordering books. I feel rather overwhelmed by my to-do list. It never ends. It never gets smaller.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Kerry Blue said:

... I feel rather overwhelmed by my to-do list. It never ends. It never gets smaller.

Perhaps easing up on your expectations of HOW to get it done, and giving yourself permission to drop some things and use less parent-intensive things could help you whittle down your to-do list. Gently, it's okay -- in fact, it's advisable for your mental health -- to CUT items from the to-do list if you are being overwhelmed by it and feel you never get to the end. Keep your list to a manageable amount of items -- say, 6 things (3 academic/homeschooling items, and 3 real life items [such as making dinner, getting things picked up, and running 1 errand]), and celebrate or reward yourself in some way each day when you complete that list -- a bubble bath, 30 minutes alone reading a book or working on a hobby that "refills your cup", etc.

Wishing you the BEST in finding ways to streamline and destress! Warmest regards, Lori D.

1 hour ago, Kerry Blue said:

I like the idea of doing music over lunch. Maybe that will get them not to be so silly with each other? (I can hope.) The links look promising.

Last year I had trouble getting BFSU done because it was not open and go, so I had completely forgotten about it. I'll try to get it out again and see if I could work out my own schedule for teaching and another schedule for ordering books. I feel rather overwhelmed by my to-do list. It never ends. It never gets smaller.

The BFSU community website has a link to a lesson plan that is fantastic, including supplies and books and links for the lessons.  We also found another online for the book at Our Small Corner.  I'm not savvy enough to reinvent the wheel, but I can follow someone else's great plans!

On 7/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

I would plan on all language arts subjects and math every day. I would form a of block science, history, and Latin 3 days a week and a block of health/PE, art/music, and bible 2 days a week alternating between health/PE (iow, 1day each) and art/music.  I could not do that many subjects every day at that age. 

I send my kids outside to play. They don't have any formal PE at that age. They are running, biking, jumping on the trampoline, and swinging on monkey bars/swings. If they were not naturally active, I would start every single day with a morning walk or exercise time (we are doing that anyway right now. I am walking in the morning and I am letting them either walk or ride their bikes with me.)

ETa: fwiw, depending on your 3rd grader, you might be able to combine the 2 oldest for parts of TC. 

I definitely don't intend to do every subject every day. I've learned that much over the years at least! ?

Could you clarify something for me? When you talk about the health/PE block, is that when you would give your kids a block of time to go out and play, or are you talking about something more structured?

I'd like to try putting in some morning together exercise. They need something to get the wiggles out. The trick will be figuring out what to do when the weather turns bad.

I had not considered putting the 3rd and 5th grader together for writing. I'm still unsure about it. The younger one could keep up with a higher level of science and history, but I'm not sure about writing. I wasn't originally planning on TC with the younger one because at the end of last year I would have said that she was not ready. But she is definitely one who seems to make great leaps in understanding during school breaks, so now I am not sure.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, HomeAgain said:

The BFSU community website has a link to a lesson plan that is fantastic, including supplies and books and links for the lessons.  We also found another online for the book at Our Small Corner.  I'm not savvy enough to reinvent the wheel, but I can follow someone else's great plans!

This past spring, an abridged version of BFSU Vol. 1 was published by Outskirts Press. I found out about it through facebook, and got a sample lesson before it was officially released. IT IS LIKE BUTTA!!!!!!! It's Handel's Alleluia chorus! It is so simple. It is step by step. It is what every homeschool mom who likes the concept, but can't wade through it, dreams of. Unfortunately, the amazon preview does not include a lesson. You can get a pdf for $10 at the publisher.

Of course, we are on to Vol. 2, so it doesn't really help me at the moment. (sigh).

Totally agree withbithers about not doing everything every day! Specifically about combining them ...

I have successfully kept 5th and 1st graders together for History and Artistic Pursuits. Science is more difficult to combine those ages in my experience. But I see no reason why it wouldn't work for your 5th and 3rs graders. Good luck!

Just my opinion, but if you’re overwhelmed, I would NOT order or get/buy anything for science for the younger two. Either let them tag along with oldest (as you mentioned in your first post), or make some of your lunch time read alouds science-y, or set them up with some you tube videos, or use Mystery Science Online. Just anything easy for YOU. 

If you feel like you need something in hand for health, I would make that just a simple read aloud also. It could be a book like a girls’ guide to growing up type of book, or I’ve found the A Beka Health books to be sufficient enough if you want a book to check the box on ‘health’. I used one during my oldest DS’s sixth grade year just because I wanted to check that box, so to speak. He read it along with a couple of boys’ guide books and it worked out well. 

Edited by mmasc

On 7/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, Lori D. said:

1. Almost all of your curriculum choices are mom-intensive. If you are already feeling the beginning signs of depression just from planning, then, gently, being stretched thin when you actually do the mom-intensive programs is apt to push you further in that direction. I'd suggest having a plan B in case you need to back down your expectations a bit if you start feeling overwhelmed. Here are some ideas for options to help streamline if you get crunched:

- go with videos and books for History as they fit in rather than trying to do a full program
- go with an independent "just get 'er done" workbook for Geography for the older 2 children
- drop Health, drop Grammar with the younger 2 children
- for PE just go for a brisk walk around the neighborhood in the morning before starting school, and have jump ropes, bouncy balls you sit on and bounce around on, and a mini-trampoline available during the day for the kids; etc.

I realized the types of curriculum I was gravitating towards when I chose them, and that kind of interaction is what my idealistic self wants. Practical self sees your wisdom of a plan B, because there are only so many hours in a day, so I'm looking into possible alternatives should I not be able to pull this off. Unfortunately, Health is required by my state every year, so I'm thinking one topic a month with some picture books would cover it for them. But I do need to plan that out or it doesn't happen! Good ideas here.

2. Your kids are young, and really do NOT need to do all subjects every day. I'd suggest starting off gently for the first few weeks with just your core subjects (reading, writing, math) plus some fun read-alouds and hands on crafts or projects, and then add in the remaining subjects -- 2 this week, 2 the following week -- and see how it goes. I'd also strongly recommend NOT trying to do all subjects every day. Also consider going with a 4-day a week schedule, and then you can use your 5th day to get out for field trips and fun outings and for "finish up/catch up" of

I definitely would not try to do everything every day. I'm trying to figure out a rotational schedule base in reality that is my life. I am coming up against the wall of mom needing to be present for so much, and kids that can be easily distracted by others working in the same room. I'm not sure the idea of us sitting around the table and mom helping where necessary will work well. Sigh.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:20 PM, desertflower said:

Our children are in similar grades.

I'm combining history and science. We are doing sotw ancients even though my oldest has been through it and my middle child is halfway through. So my oldest may be a little behing in the history rotation by the time he reaches logic stage. But he'll have a thorough understanding of the first 2 volumes! And have fun with his sisters. ?

I was thinking of doing rso life with all three and mystery science. Currently, I'm doing rso environmental for the summer and it is working out with all three.

I would combine art. We are hopefully going to do home art studio. I think we are in the middle of first grade. (We have neglected a formal art program.) We moved and i just don't have the same set up.)

I also  will take advantage of when one is in gymnastic class. I  can teach the other 2 during that time.

Hey, us mamas can only do so much!

Hth

I think I can combine science and history. It's amazing how much the younger two can follow along!

Hopefully I can take advantage of music lessons with the older, but I do begrudge the travel time.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 12:10 AM, LauraBeth475 said:

Science: Let the little two watch and ‘help’ when your older child does their experiment.  Then get a video or book from the library on the topic.  If your third grader loves science, use the younger sibling readings at the back of your Elemental Science teachers guide.  Otherwise, let it go.

The younger two always like to tag along, that is why I thought we might be able to stay together at least one more year. They seem to understand science easily. BFSU is not open and go and difficult to get done, but I wonder if I am doing them a 'disservice' by avoiding it.

36 minutes ago, Kerry Blue said:

The younger two always like to tag along, that is why I thought we might be able to stay together at least one more year. They seem to understand science easily. BFSU is not open and go and difficult to get done, but I wonder if I am doing them a 'disservice' by avoiding it.

BFSU is great, but the original is cumbersome. You must have missed my previous post. The abridged version is truly open and go. They have it all laid out, you don't have to think about the flow chart or anything. It lays it all out very simply. It is worth looking at.

On 7/30/2018 at 5:18 PM, knitgrl said:

This past spring, an abridged version of BFSU Vol. 1 was published by Outskirts Press. I found out about it through facebook, and got a sample lesson before it was officially released. IT IS LIKE BUTTA!!!!!!! It's Handel's Alleluia chorus! It is so simple. It is step by step. It is what every homeschool mom who likes the concept, but can't wade through it, dreams of. Unfortunately, the amazon preview does not include a lesson. You can get a pdf for $10 at the publisher.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 3:54 PM, Lori D. said:

Perhaps easing up on your expectations of HOW to get it done, and giving yourself permission to drop some things and use less parent-intensive things could help you whittle down your to-do list. Gently, it's okay -- in fact, it's advisable for your mental health -- to CUT items from the to-do list if you are being overwhelmed by it and feel you never get to the end. Keep your list to a manageable amount of items -- say, 6 things (3 academic/homeschooling items, and 3 real life items [such as making dinner, getting things picked up, and running 1 errand]), and celebrate or reward yourself in some way each day when you complete that list -- a bubble bath, 30 minutes alone reading a book or working on a hobby that "refills your cup", etc.

Wishing you the BEST in finding ways to streamline and destress! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I wanted to say a very belated Thank You. I realize I really do need to lower my expectations. Perfectionist tendencies are not serving me well here. I've been trying to map out our days, and your words about cutting things back are becoming very obvious. Or, at least things beyond language arts and math need to get put into a rotational schedule, which I am trying to map out.

There is just so much I want to do with my kids; Poetry tea, handicrafts, reading great books out loud, science projects, and swimming to name a few. I'm toying with the idea of doing book work four days a week, and using the fifth day for fun stuff beyond strict book work. But then I have this voice in my head that I know should not be there wondering and worrying about my kids not finishing a subject book this year. We certainly didn't get to the end of every book last year, yet the world did not end. Some days I have more confidence and faith that it will all work out than others.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, HomeAgain said:

Life has not allowed me to come back until now. Thank you for the links!

On 7/31/2018 at 10:52 AM, mmasc said:

Just my opinion, but if you’re overwhelmed, I would NOT order or get/buy anything for science for the younger two. Either let them tag along with oldest (as you mentioned in your first post), or make some of your lunch time read alouds science-y, or set them up with some you tube videos, or use Mystery Science Online. Just anything easy for YOU. 

If you feel like you need something in hand for health, I would make that just a simple read aloud also. It could be a book like a girls’ guide to growing up type of book, or I’ve found the A Beka Health books to be sufficient enough if you want a book to check the box on ‘health’. I used one during my oldest DS’s sixth grade year just because I wanted to check that box, so to speak. He read it along with a couple of boys’ guide books and it worked out well. 

I have been trying to compile a list of health related topics that I would like to touch on throughout the year. The tricky part will be to remember to get the books from the library. I'm thinking about one topic a month should be more than enough.

On 8/2/2018 at 12:31 PM, knitgrl said:

BFSU is great, but the original is cumbersome. You must have missed my previous post. The abridged version is truly open and go. They have it all laid out, you don't have to think about the flow chart or anything. It lays it all out very simply. It is worth looking at.

Thank you for repeating your post. I had missed it the first time through. I will definitely look into this book. I need a little more hand holding than what BFSU gives me or it tends not to get done.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say a big Thank You to everyone who has replied. It is amazing how much receiving constructive and informed responses has helped. I have yet to meet anyone in my life who is knowledgeable and willing to speak about curriculum choices and scheduling. The isolation is difficult, and making all the decisions without any input from others, ever, has been stressful. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

• Like 5

On 7/27/2018 at 11:13 AM, Kerry Blue said:

Music: I want to do some composer study and music lessons. I need to find more structure for the composer study for it to actually happen. 

I'd like DD8 and DD6 to piggy back with DD10 for science, history/geography, art, PE, music and Bible.

It might be cheaper on Rainbow, but my older kiddo loved this resource: https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/young-scholars-guide-to-composers/

The only reason the younger didn't use it at the same time is that he was already in a music class that had overlapping material.

The structure for the lessons is wash, rinse, repeat, and the music is available online. It has output projects that are consistent (same set of stuff for each composer), and you can do all or some of them, do them as a group, etc. It has nice coloring pages for the littler kids.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:14 PM, kbutton said:

It might be cheaper on Rainbow, but my older kiddo loved this resource: https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/young-scholars-guide-to-composers/

The only reason the younger didn't use it at the same time is that he was already in a music class that had overlapping material.

The structure for the lessons is wash, rinse, repeat, and the music is available online. It has output projects that are consistent (same set of stuff for each composer), and you can do all or some of them, do them as a group, etc. It has nice coloring pages for the littler kids.

This looks really interesting, and easy to stretch out to focus on 1-2 composers a month. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kerry Blue said:

This looks really interesting, and easy to stretch out to focus on 1-2 composers a month. Thank you for the suggestion!

They have a poetry book we're going to try this year too if you end up liking the composers and want something like it another time.

On 8/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, kbutton said:

They have a poetry book we're going to try this year too if you end up liking the composers and want something like it another time.

I didn't even look at any of their other stuff. Though I think this would be too much this year. I'll write it down to look at again for future years. Thank you.