Menu

High School Freshman with CF needs Saxon Algebra 1 replacement

Greetings, Hive,

I have a friend who has two daughters with Cystic Fibrosis and she is asking my advice on finding a self-paced math program to replace Saxon.  The oldest is a freshman who will be ready for Algebra 1.  She doesn't want to give up on quality, but will have times when she is hospitalized and will have to pause from school, so some kind of self-paced program that either has someone else doing the grading or it could be a situation where I would come alongside and help facilitate math class by grading and hands-on help as needed. 

The younger daughter, also with CF, just finished Saxon 7/6 and will be entering 7th grade in the fall.  She seems pretty intuitive with math, according to her mom, but does not want to do Saxon any longer.  What should I recommend she switch to?  I could also be available to help teach math to this dc, too, if that would work out.  I love math and I love this family, plus I have more free time this coming year with my oldest going off to college.

Options we have discussed include:  Derek Owens, Teaching Textbooks (least on the list), VideoText Algebra, Mr. D's Math (I think that is what it is called, although I know nothing else about it), or even BJU DVD's for math (which I have used).  My friend also brought up Virtual Homeschooling, but I think she wanted to know about that for teaching her upcoming 4th grader ds who just finished Saxon 3.  The same rules apply to him...I could facilitate his math instruction or not, depending on what is chosen.  BJU Math 4 DVD's are another option, or perhaps continuing on to Saxon 5/4 with this student....maybe with Teaching Tapes Technology??? (Family was not a fan of Art Reed DVDs and the Saxon Teacher speaker was monotone but got the job done).  The math programs I know best are BJU for elementary and Saxon for middle and high school, just as an aside.

As an FYI, the oldest has been ill enough this past spring that she had been considered for the lung transplant waiting list...  In your response, please let me know if the advice is for the 9th grader, 7th grader, or 4th grader and I thank you all in advance.

Blessings,

Brenda

Take a look at Unlock Math for the 9th and 7th graders. My DD13 has been doing their Geometry over the spring/summer and I’m so impressed with it. I think it could be perfect in this situation. We really like the teacher’s video lessons and the set-up is just so smart and intuitive.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Take a look at Unlock Math for the 9th and 7th graders. My DD13 has been doing their Geometry over the spring/summer and I’m so impressed with it. I think it could be perfect in this situation. We really like the teacher’s video lessons and the set-up is just so smart and intuitive.

So, I found Cathy Duffy reviews on this, plus the website and forwarded it to my friend.  She really likes the look of it and is going to check out the sample video with her daughter today.  She was wondering if there was some kind of workbook with it???

Thanks for the great tips!

4 hours ago, Omma said:

So, I found Cathy Duffy reviews on this, plus the website and forwarded it to my friend.  She really likes the look of it and is going to check out the sample video with her daughter today.  She was wondering if there was some kind of workbook with it???

There is no workbook, but I believe you can print each lesson's written notes (don't quote me on this - I'll have to double check because my DD has done it very independently this summer). My DD keeps a notebook in which she takes good notes of each lecture and works any problems that need to be written out before inputting the correct answer.

• Thanks 1

Yes, please let me know what you find out for sure from your daughter, fourisenough, and I will pass the info on to my friend.  The program looks great.  I probably hadn't heard of it before because it is so new!

11 hours ago, Omma said:

Yes, please let me know what you find out for sure from your daughter, fourisenough, and I will pass the info on to my friend.  The program looks great.  I probably hadn't heard of it before because it is so new!

Well, my DD wasn’t much help because she hasn’t used that feature before, but I found this on the Unlock Math website:

Reference 
Each lesson also come with Reference Notes that may be printed or viewed online

I will definitely plan to use Unlock Math with my youngest as soon as she reaches their first level. I see it as being better than a live online class due to the flexibility of being asynchronous at about half of the cost. 

Definitely encourage your friend and her students to use the live chat feature; the owner/teacher is super helpful and responsive.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Omma said:

There is no workbook with Unlock Math; it is not like Teaching Textbooks with one set of problems for each lesson - it gives a new problem set each time a lesson is attempted so the student can work on a concept until it is learned without having to repeat the same problems. The reference notes can be printed (my daughter just downloaded them to her computer so she can reference them as needed).

• Thanks 1