Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Because I live so rurally, I had the pleasure today of....

... getting a mammogram in the back of a bus.

Yes, it's that time of year again.  The time that there are no tourists around and the mobile mammogram unit visits us way out here in the boonies, and all of us grey-haired local ladies line up to take our turn being poked, prodded, and squeezed.

I just had to park next to the stables of longhorn cattle and walk across the dusty dirt road to get to the big, pink, shiny bus.

The best part is that I only had to travel 30 miles to get to it.  And now I'm good for another five years. 

• Like 19

My mammogram next week at the medical center is going to seem so boring now in comparison...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Selkie said:

My mammogram next week at the medical center is going to seem so boring now in comparison...

I am "country" enough that I would prefer the relatively quick out in the boonies scan over having to walk through lobbies, weird smelling corridors, artificial lighting...ugh. I'll take the back of the bus if I was due for one. :)

• Like 3

Love it! Hope they read it on the spot so you don't have to drive real far if there is a callback.

• Like 1

5 years?  I thought we were supposed to get them yearly?   Since I failed the regular mammogram, I get the "pleasure" of having  diagnostic ones from here on out.  I was on the 6 month plan, but "graduated" to yearly this past January. 

17 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

5 years?  I thought we were supposed to get them yearly?   Since I failed the regular mammogram, I get the "pleasure" of having  diagnostic ones from here on out.  I was on the 6 month plan, but "graduated" to yearly this past January. 

Is it?  I honestly don't know; the guidelines change so often.  I had one at 40, and today's at 45. I just figured I'd wait until 50 for the next one, unless I suspect something fishy. 

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

Love it! Hope they read it on the spot so you don't have to drive real far if there is a callback.

They told me my doctor will have the results for me in 2-3 weeks.

If I have to go back, there's a mobile unit that comes to the town 110 miles away on every other Friday.  That would be my next step, I suppose.  I'm not anticipating a follow-up though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kinsa said:

Is it?  I honestly don't know; the guidelines change so often.  I had one at 40, and today's at 45. I just figured I'd wait until 50 for the next one, unless I suspect something fishy. 

I just checked to see what the current recommendation is.   According to the American Cancer Society this is what is recommended as of May 18, 2018:

Breast cancer

• Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms (x-rays of the breast) if they wish to do so.
  • Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.
  • Women 55 and older should switch to mammograms every 2 years, or can continue yearly screening.
  • Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer.
  • All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations, and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening. 

Women should also know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast changes to a health care provider right away.

Some women – because of their family history, a genetic tendency, or certain other factors – should be screened with MRIs along with mammograms. (The number of women who fall into this category is very small.) Talk with a health care provider about your risk for breast cancer and the best screening plan for you.

• Like 1

I guess I was thinking of the pap exam. I think that's the one every five years?  I remember the doctor saying something to me once about "every five years". 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I just checked to see what the current recommendation is.   According to the American Cancer Society this is what is recommended as of May 18, 2018:

Breast cancer

• Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms (x-rays of the breast) if they wish to do so.
  • Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.
  • Women 55 and older should switch to mammograms every 2 years, or can continue yearly screening.
  • Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer.
  • All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations, and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening. 

Women should also know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast changes to a health care provider right away.

Some women – because of their family history, a genetic tendency, or certain other factors – should be screened with MRIs along with mammograms. (The number of women who fall into this category is very small.) Talk with a health care provider about your risk for breast cancer and the best screening plan for you.

The bus here (not rural) is affectionately known as the Blue bOOk Bus.

Apparently our local breast evaluation center (that is supposedly super nice and comforting) missed the part about women 40-44 having a choice. When I turned 40, I got a notification in the mail summoning me to come in like I was being ordered to jury duty. It included yelling at me in all caps about insurance. If that's the staffed by nice people option...

So, do most women know the "potential harms" linked to breast cancer screening? I have never been given that talk, just the nasty lectures about not being screened, lol!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kinsa said:

I guess I was thinking of the pap exam. I think that's the one every five years?  I remember the doctor saying something to me once about "every five years". 

Yes, that has changed, and fairly recently too.  I do believe it is every 5 years (as long as you have a history of normal paps and aren't high risk).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kbutton said:

The bus here (not rural) is affectionately known as the Blue bOOk Bus.

Apparently our local breast evaluation center (that is supposedly super nice and comforting) missed the part about women 40-44 having a choice. When I turned 40, I got a notification in the mail summoning me to come in like I was being ordered to jury duty. It included yelling at me in all caps about insurance. If that's the staffed by nice people option...

So, do most women know the "potential harms" linked to breast cancer screening? I have never been given that talk, just the nasty lectures about not being screened, lol!

I have never gotten the "potential harm" talk either.   There is a small amount of radiation with all mammograms.  As there is with all x-rays.  I vaguely remember some people getting in an uproar about it a couple years ago.  In my mind, the very small amount of radiation is worth the risk.   Just about everything in life comes with risks, especially in the medical world. 

Wow, your breast center is a bit militant aren't they?   Mine sends you a reminder practically begging you to save your life by coming in for it.  They are also super on top of getting results to you.  For a regular mammogram you get called within days if it shows anything abnormal (ask me how I know).  For diagnostic mammos you get the results while you are there.  In fact, the radiologist herself meets with you and shows you the scans and goes over everything.  That is truly an advantage (well, that and they give you the nicer robes to wear so the whole place knows you are there cause you are having diagnostic) to having the diagnostic, I always know it is okay before I leave. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We have a mammogram bus that cones around here in the suburbs. I haven’t actually used it though. 

Imagining it like the ice cream truck. What song would they  play? ?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

They could do mammograms and colonoscopies and play the T and A song frim A Chorus Line. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Lol. They park in the grocery store parking lot with a big sign encouraging “walk ins”. 

CDC pap recommendation was for every 3 years. My gyn told me, yes you will survive if they catch it at three but at one, it is just some medicine. At 2 it is outpatient procedure them medication and at three it is a very big deal and extensive surgery. I decided to opt for every year a pap, although in a lot of ways I am low risk but in some I might be higher (I am on s number of immunosuppressants).

2 hours ago, mellifera33 said:

They could do mammograms and colonoscopies and play the T and A song frim A Chorus Line. 

Orchestra and balcony!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1