Menu

Puppy probs - advice, please!

Wilma

We brought home an adorable 14-week old Weimaraner pup on Sunday. His name is Zeke and he's fantastic. But there are a couple of things I'm having trouble with, and it's been ages since I've had a dog. If you can help me troubleshoot, please yes - I think this guy tends a towards anxiety, but maybe he's still just settling in.

1. Crate training. He's sad in the comfortable nice crate we have set up for him. We intend this to be his night spot, and at least until he's super reliable, his spot for when we're away during the day. But he cries and barks - that seems to make him more upset (we had a baby like that). We are upbeat about the "Kennel Up!", and he does hang out there some during the day. He cried a lot last night. I spent probably half of the night "sleeping" on the couch to try to keep him company. Will this get better on its own?

2. I think he's afraid of traffic. We live in a quiet/awesome culdesac, and the only exit is a moderately busy 35mph neighborhood thoroughfare. About half-way down, he gets very reluctant to keep on, needing lots of treats/coaxing to make any progress. Sometimes he just lays down in a yard rather than carrying on. But if you turn around towards home, he trots happily. We are a people who like to walk, and I know this guy is going to need exercise. What do I do?

Help?

Weimeraners are velcro dogs.  They want to be with their people.  And they also tend to be high strung especially if they don't get vigorous exercise  or if they are left alone too much.

Puppies who are young are at a very impressionable age.  You do not want to do things to scare  him.  Take your time with him.  Reassure him.  Take your time getting him used to new sights and sounds and smells. 

You need a puppy class for starters. Weimeraners are not a breed that I would recommend to someone who is not really knowledgeable about dog needs.  The crate should get better with age. 

• Like 2

Yes! We know a few Weimars and I grew up with a Vizsla, which is also a velcro breed. We're home a good bit of each day and all six of us are set to hang out with Zeke a lot. I'm a runner, and so is my oldest girl, and when he's full grown we expect he'll be happy to go with us. ?

Maybe to refine my question a bit, how do I help him get over the scary bits? We really can't just avoid the busy street if we intend to walk this dog, though it only takes a couple minutes on the sidewalk of the busy street to get somewhere quieter and nicer. So I'm not going to drag him along or anything awful like that - I see that he's sensitive and somewhat anxious. Do you have ideas about promoting confidence and bravery in such a pup? Is 14 weeks too young to try?

The hubs is reluctant to have the dog crate in our room - he's a bit of a crummy sleeper to start with and concerned that a dog snuffling around at night wouldn't help. Is it best to start as we mean to go on, or flex while he's a baby and move him out later?

Re confidence and bravery -- Train, train, train. Obedience and tricks. Anything and everything you can think of. The more he knows, the more he understands the routine and what's expected of him, the more confident he will probably become (it's not guaranteed--genetics is a thing). And no, 14 weeks is absolutely not too young.

For the traffic fear I'd try to take him out as often as possible at times when traffic is the lightest. So not during morning/afternoon commute times. Keep doing what you're doing with the treats and keeping things update. Don't baby him--but act confident, upbeat and happy. If he has a favorite squeaky toy bring that along. I'd even consider getting him a toy just for walks. Anything to keep it fun. You can wean off the toy (or treats) as his confidence grows.

No advice on the sleeping. I'm a firm believer in dogs being with their people.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

Is he your only dog? I have found that anxious dogs are more confident and less frightened when they have a canine buddy. 

Yes. We also have two cats, but they're only tolerant and not exactly buddy material.

7 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Re confidence and bravery -- Train, train, train. Obedience and tricks. Anything and everything you can think of. The more he knows, the more he understands the routine and what's expected of him, the more confident he will probably become (it's not guaranteed--genetics is a thing). And no, 14 weeks is absolutely not too young.

For the traffic fear I'd try to take him out as often as possible at times when traffic is the lightest. So not during morning/afternoon commute times. Keep doing what you're doing with the treats and keeping things update. Don't baby him--but act confident, upbeat and happy. If he has a favorite squeaky toy bring that along. I'd even consider getting him a toy just for walks. Anything to keep it fun. You can wean off the toy (or treats) as his confidence grows.

No advice on the sleeping. I'm a firm believer in dogs being with their people.

Great! I'm happy to hear that advice - he's loving doing the couple tricks he knows, and we're all keen to teach him more.  If that stuff helps his overall self-image and confidence level I'm delighted because it's already fun for him and us.

I'm waffling between that lighter traffic time, when people are moving fast, and the rush hour when it's packed, but slow. I like the idea of taking a toy along - will totally try that.

• Like 1

With my puppy and new experiences, we would do much as Pawz said. I would treat or otherwise positively enforce him continuing to walk. I would not scold or pull ir do anything to give him further negative associations. (Not saying that you’re doing that). 

Our dog got a treat whenever going in the crate and at first I fed her there. You could try putting a radio on softly for her at night so that she feels less alone. 

• Like 1

He is adorable!  

I’d suggest having 2 crates and or one that is very easy to move.  one in living room or kitchen or homeschool room or wherever has most daytime activity. The other one in someone’s bedroom for night time. If adult bedroom is not good have pup room with dc at night. 

Our dog was a city pup and a little fearful of country things at first but he adjusted. So now he is if anything a little over confident imo. 

Toys and treats to carry, and maybe a waist leash so you can have your hands more available could help. I’ve never had a Weimaraner, but ones I have known needed a lot of running exercise. Do you have any dog parks where he could safely get a ton of exercise?

• Like 1

I’d go with slower traffic myself. Just in case he managed to bolt he’d be more likely to be injured from fast traffic. 

Could you drive him past the part that is frightening and exercise him in the nice areas beyond it to get him used to that. Then, back chain doing little bits of scary zone (gradually more and more) at the other side so just a step or two at first, then more and more of the traffic area, with the nice area a reward in addition to treats for getting past it. 

It could also help to work on traffic in an area you would drive to that was less busy/fast than the one by your home. 

• Like 2

What a beautiful puppy!❤️

You might want to look online for advice from other weimaraner owners. They are very prone to separation anxiety and some of them will not tolerate crates, so you may find some good tips from people who have btdt with this breed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I’d go with slower traffic myself. Just in case he managed to bolt he’d be more likely to be injured from fast traffic. 

Could you drive him past the part that is frightening and exercise him in the nice areas beyond it to get him used to that. Then, back chain doing little bits of scary zone (gradually more and more) at the other side so just a step or two at first, then more and more of the traffic area, with the nice area a reward in addition to treats for getting past it. 

It could also help to work on traffic in an area you would drive to that was less busy/fast than the one by your home. 

Yes! This is super - thinking of the traffic issue separately from getting my pup the exercise he needs is ace! The traffic anxiety needs not prevent exercise and both can come along independently. That is a good shift in my thinking, thank you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Katy said:

Can you move the crate into a kid's room?  If not, I'd put him in yours. A crying dog is not a way to encourage anyone to sleep.

In my family he'd sleep in the bed with one of the kids.

Good idea! I bet either room of kids would be tickled to have Zeke. I hadn't considered bunking him with them somehow - I had only thought of the common space or our bedroom. Thanks!

• Like 1

Do y'all dog co-sleepers worry about puppies who are not all the way house-trained having mishaps? And I wonder, too, if a regular sized kid would fit comfortably in a twin bed with a dog who'll wind up being 90-ish pounds...?

44 minutes ago, Wilma said:

Do y'all dog co-sleepers worry about puppies who are not all the way house-trained having mishaps? And I wonder, too, if a regular sized kid would fit comfortably in a twin bed with a dog who'll wind up being 90-ish pounds...?

Do you mean mishaps on the bed or on the floor? When ours are little, they sleep in a puppy playpen next to our bed. We don't let them up on the bed until they are big enough and coordinated enough to jump on and off easily. Ours have always had some accidents at night for the first few months, usually because they wake up having to go and can't quite hold it all the way to the door.

As for the twin bed and the big dog, I bet it will work out fine. Dh and I have a king bed and we usually have at least three big dogs and one little one on the bed at any given time.?

Our Great Dane is a velcro kind of dog. We don't have him in our room, but it did take him a solid two years before he stopped wanting to go out at night. So, there's that. It was like having a baby again.

He goes on long hard hikes now, but at 14 weeks, he would do that passive resistance thing on walks (lying down randomly.) I suspect that part will get better with age.

1 hour ago, Wilma said:

Our dogs mostly have started in a crate in someone’s bedroom till likely past mishaps stage, but we have also used doggie diapers to allow co sleeping (or other freedoms) for a dog who doesn’t have house training control yet. 

90 pounds in twin size bed will be a little tight unless kid isn’t yet long enough for the bed and there’s room for dog beyond kid feet. Our prior hundred pound dog and current 65pounder both start snuggling with kid in bed, head on pillow, and then get out when they overheat or need space. There are dog beds they can go to, right in dc bedroom, but in our home they usually move to parental bed or bedroom after having gotten dc off to sleep. 

Given parental sleep issues in your home you might want to leave it at an in dc bedroom dog bed. 

regarding the crate -

you can prepare a kong toy - string a rope through it, stuff it, and freeze it.  then tie it to the back of the crate.

I like zac george's youtube channel.

dd's breeder recommends ian dunbar

eta: if you are cosleeping now - you'll always be cosleeping.  dog won't learn crate is home.    dd's puppy has slept in his crate from day one.   he freaked out when she came to my house to supervise for two weeks (and he's used to my house - but not sleeping there.), but he adapted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

regarding the crate -

you can prepare a kong toy - string a rope through it, stuff it, and freeze it.  then tie it to the back of the crate.

I like zac george's youtube channel.

dd's breeder recommends ian dunbar

eta: if you are cosleeping now - you'll always be cosleeping.  dog won't learn crate is home.    dd's puppy has slept in his crate from day one.   he freaked out when she came to my house to supervise for two weeks (and he's used to my house - but not sleeping there.), but he adapted.

Just ordered a Kong toy - we'll try that!

I'll check out the you tubes, thank you!

Last night was loads better - thank you all! Zeke and I took a two minute drive and then a nice walk on a neighborhood trail. He loved it and walked like a pro.

At bedtime he complained a bit after kenneling up, so we tried an audiobook for him. Zeke didn't make another peep all night! He got through the first 48 chapters of Moby Dick, which would be enough to put anyone to sleep. ? I bet he'll not mind hearing the same bit over again tonight.

IMG_20180723_081849111.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like he’s getting ready to be a Read to a Dog library volunteer. 

Btw, although our dog mostly cosleeps with humans, we still have a crate available in the bedroom area and he will sleep in it if asked to. Sometimes he goes of his own accord if he feels a need for alone time or if it’s floor is cool and the night is hot, the door is kept so he can use it if he wants to. This dog came to us already crate trained, but he had shared with litter mates so still needed to be adjusted to being the only one in it. 

Previous dogs were, save one adult rescue with crate phobia, adjusted gradually via positive reinforcements after arriving. 

Ds used to be small enough to go into crate with pup and sometimes did, also sometimes demonstrating that crate was nice place to be—for example similar scenes of child with book and dog as in your photo above sometimes took place with ds and one of our dogs both inside crate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wilma said:

Just ordered a Kong toy - we'll try that!

I'll check out the you tubes, thank you!

when starting-  puppy needs to be free to go in and out.  and never send them to a crate for being "bad".  it's their safe space. 

so - a  tied kong will prevent them taking it out, but leave the door open.

dd's puppy is too small for his crate (now) - so part of it is blocked.   he'll take his cushion out. . . .

Honestly, bop the crate and tell him to be quiet. The more he whimpers and whines the more he will get himself worked up. It becomes them winding themselves up rather than winding down. And yes, keep him in there a LOT during the day, with a fun chew bone, while you are home, so that it isn't as much of a shock during the night and when you are gone. 

Good luck...I've had Weimaraners, they are my favorite breed, but they are NOT easy dogs. 

Oh, just saw the crate was in the other room? I'd probably have t in the bedroom at night. In fact, with my weim I moved it every single day, twice a day, until she was an adult. Put it in the living room during the day, and our bedroom at night. If I hadn't been a starving student I'd have bought a second crate, lol. 

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Honestly, bop the crate and tell him to be quiet. The more he whimpers and whines the more he will get himself worked up. It becomes them winding themselves up rather than winding down. And yes, keep him in there a LOT during the day, with a fun chew bone, while you are home, so that it isn't as much of a shock during the night and when you are gone. 

Good luck...I've had Weimaraners, they are my favorite breed, but they are NOT easy dogs. 

I have felt that he's a winder-upper instead if calming himself with the crying. Kid2 in my family was that way, too. 

Would you make him hang out in the crate during the day, or just leave the option open? He has been spending some time there if we're all in that room, but not loads. We did crate him for a bit today when we went out, and he seemed chill when we got home.

Just now, Wilma said:

I have felt that he's a winder-upper instead if calming himself with the crying. Kid2 in my family was that way, too. 

Would you make him hang out in the crate during the day, or just leave the option open? He has been spending some time there if we're all in that room, but not loads. We did crate him for a bit today when we went out, and he seemed chill when we got home.

Oh, absolutely crate him, door closed, multiple times during the day. Short and long periods. Sometimes maybe even put him in, put your shoes on like you are leaving, and then go watch tv or something in the same room. Help him figure out it is no big deal. 

And NEVER let him out while he is having a hissy fit about it! Let him out when he's lying down being chill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Oh, absolutely crate him, door closed, multiple times during the day. Short and long periods. Sometimes maybe even put him in, put your shoes on like you are leaving, and then go watch tv or something in the same room. Help him figure out it is no big deal. 

And NEVER let him out while he is having a hissy fit about it! Let him out when he's lying down being chill. 

Okay, I'll go for that. Zeke really prefers to be exactly where I am - he's a love. But if it'll help him acclimate to the crate and be relaxed when we have to be out, I'll totally try it.

21 minutes ago, Wilma said:

Okay, I'll go for that. Zeke really prefers to be exactly where I am - he's a love. But if it'll help him acclimate to the crate and be relaxed when we have to be out, I'll totally try it.

Yup. You want to make you being home and you being away seem more the same, if that makes sense. If he's always right next to you except when you leave that makes separation anxiety more likely. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Wilma said:

I tend to prefer to go with positive reinforcements, not banging on crate or anything like that which could get a fear reaction going — especially if pup is in a fear development stage.   So I try to start with pleasant free time in a crate with open doors when possible, and right near the dog’s people    

I also don’t crate dogs when they are home alone past the point that they are house trained. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

I tend to prefer to go with positive reinforcements, not banging on crate or anything like that which could get a fear reaction going — especially if pup is in a fear development stage.   So I try to start with pleasant free time in a crate with open doors when possible, and right near the dog’s people    

I also don’t crate dogs when they are home alone past the point that they are house trained. 

I should have mentioned, lots of positive reinforcement as well. But I've never seen a dog have a real mental/emotional problem develop from bopping the side of the crate and saying, "hush". I mean, they can see it is you, not the boogie man. And you've already been feeding them their meals in their (OP - feed the dog in the crate- forgot to say that!), giving them treats for going in, giving them the best toys/chews/etc while in their, etc etc etc. 

As for how long to crate...weims are pretty darned destructive. Mine were housebroken in a few weeks, for the most part, but liable to eat the house, literally, for a full year at least. 

one set up we've had with the crate for daytime - crate is in a 4' sq play yard.  (dd has her crate in a play yard in her gated off dining room.  so more flexibility. - he sleeps in the crate at night)  especially when I can't watch what he's doing every second, even if I'm home.

18 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I should have mentioned, lots of positive reinforcement as well. But I've never seen a dog have a real mental/emotional problem develop from bopping the side of the crate and saying, "hush". I mean, they can see it is you, not the boogie man. And you've already been feeding them their meals in their (OP - feed the dog in the crate- forgot to say that!), giving them treats for going in, giving them the best toys/chews/etc while in their, etc etc etc. 

As for how long to crate...weims are pretty darned destructive. Mine were housebroken in a few weeks, for the most part, but liable to eat the house, literally, for a full year at least. 

My dog is a rescue and I bopped his kennel when he was in it to tell him to be quiet. The kennel door was open (we train them to "go to bed" which means to get in the kennel, but we don't close the door. He was whining and wouldn't stop) and he shot out like he had been hit hard. He's still afraid of the broom. I haven't done that since and won't again. It caused him lots of anxiety. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wilma said:

He's reminding me more and more of one of our previous dogs, a Brittany. He was a huge handful his entire life due to being a winder upper, high energy, SA. So I definitely have some voice of experience here. I'd pay extra, extra attention to praising/reinforcing him when he's being calm. Catch him doing good and reinforce it.

FWIW, our Brittany hated crates. I suspect he had some sort of barrier frustration or perhaps even claustrophobia. As neurotic and high strung as he was, and even having SA, he did much better when not crated. I know you can't do that with a not-yet-house trained puppy, so I'm mostly mentioning it for future reference, just in case.

7 hours ago, Wilma said:

That isn't really atypical for any puppy, but I'd keep an eye on it to make sure he's not developing SA. As much as possible I'd stick him in his crate several times a day (with a safe yummy treat every time) and mimic leaving the house--grab your purse and keys, whatever you normally do. Raise the garage door if you drive and your car is inside. At first just stay outside for 30-60 seconds and then "come back home." Gradually lengthen the time so you're waiting 10 or 15 minutes. You want him to be so used to you coming and going that it doesn't faze him at all. Make it routine and boring.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

He's reminding me more and more of one of our previous dogs, a Brittany. He was a huge handful his entire life due to being a winder upper, high energy, SA. So I definitely have some voice of experience here. I'd pay extra, extra attention to praising/reinforcing him when he's being calm. Catch him doing good and reinforce it.

FWIW, our Brittany hated crates. I suspect he had some sort of barrier frustration or perhaps even claustrophobia. As neurotic and high strung as he was, and even having SA, he did much better when not crated. I know you can't do that with a not-yet-house trained puppy, so I'm mostly mentioning it for future reference, just in case.

That isn't really atypical for any puppy, but I'd keep an eye on it to make sure he's not developing SA. As much as possible I'd stick him in his crate several times a day (with a safe yummy treat every time) and mimic leaving the house--grab your purse and keys, whatever you normally do. Raise the garage door if you drive and your car is inside. At first just stay outside for 30-60 seconds and then "come back home." Gradually lengthen the time so you're waiting 10 or 15 minutes. You want him to be so used to you coming and going that it doesn't faze him at all. Make it routine and boring.

This sounds like great advice. We're home a lot, but obviously can't be / don't want to be here all the time. Getting Zeke used to the departures will be a lot quicker with this kind of practice. Thank you!

• Like 2

Just for a moment to bring up a flip side on crying when separated, this probably is a young canine safety behavior to get rescued by mother/pack if separated.  

Our current pup at one point (or a few) when young got himself lost in sea of dense blackberry brambles and would likely have died of exposure or becoming a cougar snack before we could have found him had he not been whimpering such that we could get a sense of his direction. 

If your dog settles with Moby Dick that could be a good solution both for nights and if you need to leave house for awhile. 

Moby could possibly be added to the Pawz4me practice routine above. 

• Like 4

I just realized that I have not had a baby dog home alone for a long time. 

Current dog had a year or so overlap with elderly dog so had a model and company after a fashion (she didn’t like him).

Prior three were adults rescues and a puppy who had the adults  

And puppy before that was a fall born puppy so it was cool and safe in car.  she went nearly everywhere getting socialized and used to things in the world, the car being her crate, until in summer she had to stay home due to heat dangers.