Menu

Everydayspeech.com - New(ish) social skills resource

I found this website: everydayspeech.com

It’s basically kids in short videos demonstrating different social skills.  I haven’t signed up yet, but the sample videos looked good.  They’re acted out but I thought the insights of the narrator were good and the expressions of the kids weren’t too over the top.  I thought some in the community might be able to use it, if your child has ASD, or NVLD, or others with kids who have some social skill immaturity or needs.  Compared with the costs to see a therapist, some simpler fixes might be able to be addressed at home? I don’t know the effectiveness, but I do think having someone besides Mom ask to (insert whatever social expectations working on) could be insightful.  Sometimes reading about social skills and seeing videos is a lot different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interesting share, and I'm glad you're back! Looking at your new list to glean ideas. :biggrin: On the videos, hmm. An SLP whipped out videos like that AT A RESTAURANT to work on skills during a travel club, and ds was SO miffed! I don't know if he'd like videos in general. We have some Model Me Kids videos. It's definitely a normal thing and I'll bet SLPs are gonna gobble that up, having everything in one place.

Most therapy settings are working on social in a group, which is harder to regulate if you don't have more kids at home. For us, variety is good. We teach explicitly, work on it in group settings, and generalize to the larger world and more dynamic (changing, fast-paced) situations.

I found a church recently that has a program aimed at various ages (elementary, teen, etc.) that sort of combines problem solving and spiritual truths. They sort of bent over backward, bringing in all these SUPER HERO characters like Batman and whatnot to teach the lessons. So from the clips I saw, Batman would do such and such, realize how the other person felt, say he was sorry, etc. To me it's all good, seeing the same concepts in lots of settings, lots of ways, trying to get the click. 

Have you looked into RDI? It intrigues me, because their gig is go back to the non-verbals (joint attention, etc.) and figure out WHY the dc was missing what was expected and what people were feeling and what others were doing. So we're looking at it from the social thinking end wanting the product, but there's this other way to look at it as increasing the interaction that would help him notice and get there. And you do RDI stuff with just games and intentional interaction. It's interesting. We did the intake eval with a therapist for it, got initial homework, did some of the tasks and got FASCINATING and PERMANENT progress in those skills, and then got busy. I totally need to get us scheduled back in now that I have funding.

• Like 1

For us, idk if a social skills group is accessible, d/t scheduling conflicts.  I guess it would have been a nice bonus over the summer, but... summer is mostly over here ?

Thanks for the welcome.  Since the forum switch I’ve only been browsing because logging on was (and still is) an issue, as well as responding.  But hopefully not insurmountable.