Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Multiple days of underwear wear?

Rewear undies?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rewear undies after a shower?

• Yes
    • No
    • WTH?
    • .... this is anonymous right?
  2. 2. Would you let your family members wear the same pair twice without washing them?

• Yes
    • Only if we are camping or it’s a zombie apocalypse
    • HECK NO.
    • Kids yes, husband no
    • I’m throwing up in my mouth just thinking about it
    • My kids can only do it if they never, ever tell me

2 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Some people used to get themselves sewn into their underwear for the winter - of course they didn't shower or bathe at all during that time. 

Did they go to the bathroom?  Was there a hole or something? 

• Like 1

Bras, yeah, if younhaven’t Done anything hot and sweaty in them. Underpants, only if you have no way to wash them and nothing else clean. So, basically, Zombie apocalypse. I’ve washed underwear in hotel bathtubs with shampoo before on trips. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not if you live where there's crawly and bitey things 

How does underwear help with that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I do recognize though that there are cultural differences on these things.  Some people used to get themselves sewn into their underwear for the winter - of course they didn't shower or bathe at all during that time.  I often think about this when I read historic novels with sexy bits.

Maybe sex only happened in summer. Have a bath and a roll in the hay. It would be interesting to see what time of year most births occurred. ?

I too, understand there are cultural differences.

• Like 2

Can I just say that even when nothing interesting is happening on the rest of the internet, it's never dull at WTM. ???

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

One of my kids has to be caught and sent back for clean ones, or he'll keep wearing the same pair forever.  ?

3 minutes ago, EKS said:

How does underwear help with that?

Ummm.... by reducing access to areas where you really really don't want crawly bitey things???!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ummm.... by reducing access to areas where you really really don't want crawly bitey things???!

Also: keeping the dust out, preventing chafing from outer clothing, preventing heat rash in warm weather, acting as an extra layer of warmth in cold weather.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This reminds me of someone I used to know. She was very all natural, all organic, go commando gal who loved hiking.  She wore skirts and sometime during that summer got a tick in an sensitive area.  She had hiking undies after that.

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

But what about men's boxer shorts?  Those wouldn't do much--or does no one wear them in your area?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EKS said:

But what about men's boxer shorts?  Those wouldn't do much--or does no one wear them in your area?

Most wear like a fitted boxer.  They are soft tshirt/stretch style fabric that go a little way down the legs but not far.  They aren't a loose boxer.  I'm told they are very comfy!

I don't encourage re-use, but I don't police this.  I don't think it's as big a deal as modern Americans make it out to be.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

This reminds me of someone I used to know. She was very all natural, all organic, go commando gal who loved hiking.  She wore skirts and sometime during that summer got a tick in an sensitive area.  She had hiking undies after that.

Ticks LOVE crawling up into undies.  Seriously. I'd actually posit that undies make their preferred environment even more enticing.

<--- Still wears undies. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Most wear like a fitted boxer.  They are soft tshirt/stretch style fabric that go a little way down the legs but not far.  They aren't a loose boxer.  I'm told they are very comfy!

Boxer briefs.  All the guys in my house wear those.

We change daily, although it's not always first thing in the AM if we know we're going to be showering later.  Probably TMI, but I do tend to wear liners every day.

One thing I wonder though....I know in past threads lots of people wear bras more than once.  Why is that so much less gross than underwear and/or socks?  My bras get pretty sweaty when I wear them all day (I prefer to do without if at all possible), and I would think that would happen more if someone is larger than my barely a B cups.  

56 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Have you met Fred from Big Hero 6?

BH6-Fred.jpg

When I saw that movie with my kids, I was like "oh, so that dude might not be the only one. Great, just great."

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

One thing I wonder though....I know in past threads lots of people wear bras more than once.  Why is that so much less gross than underwear and/or socks?  My bras get pretty sweaty when I wear them all day (I prefer to do without if at all possible), and I would think that would happen more if someone is larger than my barely a B cups.  

For me the difference is discharge.  I suppose I could wear a panty liner every day, but I don't.  

For my sons, especially when little, the issue was not always wiping the best.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, maize said:

Where is the research to back up this assertion?

I don't have any offhand. Underwear gets bacteria on it. You don't want bacteria growing near your body's entryways. I'm fairly certain the entire purpose of underwear is so that you can wear the same clothes day in and day out and maintain your health.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't encourage re-use, but I don't police this.  I don't think it's as big a deal as modern Americans make it out to be.

Daily bathing is also not the big deal modern Americans make it out to be.

We are very uncomfortable with our own animal odors; which has nothing to do with health.

Just social appropriateness in modern society.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maize said:

Daily bathing is also not the big deal modern Americans make it out to be.

We are very uncomfortable with our own animal odors; which has nothing to do with health.

Just social appropriateness in modern society.

For the most part I agree, especially from a health aspect,  but when you live in a hot humid climate it's downright uncomfortable not to shower often. Even with air conditioned buildings and cars we get sweaty every day. The car doesn't cool off before you start to sweat, walking to and from buildings to vehicles causes you to get sweaty, doing anything outdoors is sweaty. Then you get sticky when the sweat dries and it's just plain unbearable. You can't fully cool off even in a/c once that happens.

ETA: If I had a pool I'd jump in it every time I came home from running errands.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't have any offhand. Underwear gets bacteria on it. You don't want bacteria growing near your body's entryways. I'm fairly certain the entire purpose of underwear is so that you can wear the same clothes day in and day out and maintain your health.

It would be interesting to research.

If bacteria in underwear come from our bodies and consist primarily of our normal healthy flora it is possible that these bacteria themselves could provide additional protection against any nasty bacteria we might pick up from the environment.

We DO actually want bacteria growing in and around our body's openings, they are part of a healthy human ecosystem. Which bacteria is the issue.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Ticks LOVE crawling up into undies.  Seriously. I'd actually posit that undies make their preferred environment even more enticing.

<--- Still wears undies. 

Yeah they like warm and humid.

Undies keep things warm and humid.

Fitted boxers though might help a bit--harder to crawl the distance.

What I wear is more of a fitted boxer style and loose in the crotch. No wedgies.

3 minutes ago, maize said:

It would be interesting to research.

If bacteria in underwear come from our bodies and consist primarily of our normal healthy flora it is possible that these bacteria themselves could provide additional protection against any nasty bacteria we might pick up from the environment.

We DO actually want bacteria growing in and around our body's openings, they are part of a healthy human ecosystem. Which bacteria is the issue.

But your body keeps it all in balance. Your body is no longer in control once it exits your body and that's when the bacteria can become dangerous.

I had a series of UTIs when I was first married and I learned all the things. I know now they were from a latex allergy but while trying to find the cause I learned about the importance of changing your underwear once a day, and in some rare cases twice daily. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

But your body keeps it all in balance. Your body is no longer in control once it exits your body and that's when the bacteria can become dangerous.

I had a series of UTIs when I was first married and I learned all the things. I know now they were from a latex allergy but while trying to find the cause I learned about the importance of changing your underwear once a day, and in some rare cases twice daily. 

I'm still dubious, doctors have a habit of saying stuff that hasn't been scientifically proven just because it makes sense to them or it is what someone else told them.

I want to see the research.

I think a case of established infection would be different from ordinary healthy times.

Humans did not evolve with underwear.

Maybe we should test the effects of underwear with or without daily changing on chimps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm still dubious, doctors have a habit of saying stuff that hasn't been scientifically proven just because it makes sense to them or it is what someone else told them.

I want to see the research.

I think a case of established infection would be different from ordinary healthy times.

Humans did not evolve with underwear.

Maybe we should test the effects of underwear with or without daily changing on chimps.

That's not what the doctor said, that's what I found on my own. My doctor assumed I was an unsanitary slut and too embarrassed to admit it.

Humans evolved without fabric against our privates. To my understanding our hair protected us and we kept it clean or died.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

I would absolutely rewear chonies before socks!  Feet are disgusting.

And chonies is just a slang word for undies or drawers, where I hail from.

Who knew there is regional underwear slang???

• Like 1

I don't really police this but the girls change plenty. Ds I remind to shower every day but he is getting pretty decent at remembering. I do not do underwear checks!

Alright, I looked up ‘chonies’ after arcticmama said it is another word for undies.  Apparently it’s from the Spanish word, calzones.   So now I’m even more confused. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No recycling of undies here.  Fresh daily, and after every shower.  Heck, after swimming, too.  If it means more than one change a day, fine.

We recycle almost everything we can, but I draw the line at undies. Nope, nope, nope.

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, I will be the one left behind, waiting on the handwashables to drip dry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, EKS said:

Did they go to the bathroom?  Was there a hole or something? 

Yup, there was indeed a flap.  

I've read about people having their public hair grow through the cloth over the winter though, so I have wondered how they managed.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Ticks can get to sensitive areas even if you are wearing underwear, ask me how I know. :)

2 hours ago, maize said:

Where is the research to back up this assertion?

According to this, there isn't any.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not monitor anyone's underwear habits in this house.  I will tell dh when I can smell him, but that is usually after a workout and he hasn't gotten his shower in fast enough.  I do know my 5 year old hasn't worn underwear in well over a year. He finds them uncomfortable and simply started refusing to wear them.  Oh well, no a fight worth having. The idea of inspecting what is in the laundry seems odd to me, but I guess if making sure people change their underwear every day is important to you that is something you might do.

American people's  obsession with changing clothes every day never cease to amaze me.  Same as the frequency of washing towels and bedding and taking daily showers.

At the same time, I see people sitting on floors in the most dirtiest of the places.  Eating on the most dirtiest of surfaces.  Or walking barefoot on the most disgusting floors / grounds, etc.   I am not even going to go into what I see people do in public bathrooms when it comes to hygiene....

• Like 3

Although I normally change daily, Ive recycled in a pinch. Like when Im traveling and get stuck somewhere for an extra night. 

It's not like there is some magical witching hour where your undies turn toxic. Is 30 hours really all that different than 24? If I thought my undies were that bad, I'd probably just go commando. I never thought rinsing in a hotel sink was all that hygenic or even capable of killing bacteria. In my mind, it's probably just spreading the germs around.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, maize said:

Yeah they like warm and humid.

Undies keep things warm and humid.

Fitted boxers though might help a bit--harder to crawl the distance.

What I wear is more of a fitted boxer style and loose in the crotch. No wedgies.

Here’s what I think would be interesting to explore: why are fitted boxers almost exclusively a man style when they are obviously sensible for a lot of women’s wear? Why is the female solution to VPLs (supposedly, frequently) to cut the ass coverage off completely and floss your crack? I have a few pair of fitted shorts-style undies I sometimes wear to iprove the rear appearance, but I don’t think it is a very common solution to employ. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Quill said:

Here’s what I think would be interesting to explore: why are fitted boxers almost exclusively a man style when they are obviously sensible for a lot of women’s wear? Why is the female solution to VPLs (supposedly, frequently) to cut the ass coverage off completely and floss your crack? I have a few pair of fitted shorts-style undies I sometimes wear to iprove the rear appearance, but I don’t think it is a very common solution to employ. 

Underalls were the female equivalent. They stopped making them sometime in the 90s, so maybe the butt-floss solution outsold them.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, the official underpants of the Canadian military are boxer-briefs, for men and women.

I still have the ones I got when I was in and wear them a lot, especially in winter.  Or, for pj bottoms in summer.  I also have some that dh bought accidentally in the wrong size.

The difficulty though is they do tend to create a sort of bunched appearance under closer fitting or even just thin slacks, even if they fit pretty close to the leg there is a weird line.  Maybe women wear more clothes like that than men do?  I wonder if men who wear trendy tight pants tend to wear briefs?

I did read recently that the but-floss type have become less popular, millennials apparently do not like them as much as Gen X did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I would absolutely rewear chonies before socks!  Feet are disgusting.

And chonies is just a slang word for undies or drawers, where I hail from.

I don't really know why I feel compelled to comment on this but...underwear covers areas of the body with an orifice, feet are...a self-contained unity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, besides the question of "is there a health reason for use of underwear", there is a SMELL reason.  

Things next to your crotch, be it your jeans, your skirt, your leggings, your cotton-crotch undies, develop a smell. (Heck, Gabriel Garcia Marquez was rather poetic about it in One Hundred Years of Solitude, although he was talking about the entire smell of a person's laundry.) 

By wearing underwear, and changing it, you can get a couple of wearings (or more) out of your outer "public" garments, before they start to smell.  This saves on cleaning, which save on wear and tear of the outer garments.  Sudden flashback to my mom having dress shields she'd wear to protect the underarms of certain garments ... Dad wore undershirts to accomplish the same thing.

Underwear is frugal because it protects the more costly clothing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Alright, I looked up ‘chonies’ after arcticmama said it is another word for undies.  Apparently it’s from the Spanish word, calzones.   So now I’m even more confused. 

Well, it makes sense. Every time I eat a calzone, I think, "this looks just like a bunch of food stuffed into a pair of underwear!" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yeah, this is what I have. But my sense is that these are not very popular, and sometimes they are so close to being a brief they ought to just be a brief because they don’t stay down.

36 minutes ago, Quill said:

I've taken to wearing some biking shorts underneath dresses, I feel much more secure!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Who knew there is regional underwear slang???

Yep, I cringe when people talk about their pants......In England that’s their underwear.  I have embarassed myself ( and ds) way too often by talking about my son’s pants not being long enough.  His trousers aren’t long enough......If you ever want to quiet a room of 10yo talk about pants!

Fresh every shower and I count.  Not obsessively but because I normally hang the clothing out to dry and hang “pants” in a preferred section of my clothes line.  I tend to notice missing pants.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, soror said:

I've taken to wearing some biking shorts underneath dresses, I feel much more secure!

I do that, too. 

11 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Well, the official underpants of the Canadian military are boxer-briefs, for men and women.

I still have the ones I got when I was in and wear them a lot, especially in winter.  Or, for pj bottoms in summer.  I also have some that dh bought accidentally in the wrong size.

The difficulty though is they do tend to create a sort of bunched appearance under closer fitting or even just thin slacks, even if they fit pretty close to the leg there is a weird line.  Maybe women wear more clothes like that than men do?  I wonder if men who wear trendy tight pants tend to wear briefs?

I did read recently that the but-floss type have become less popular, millennials apparently do not like them as much as Gen X did.

Yes, I think this is it - women’s pants are so much more likely to be close on the thigh and one doesn’t want a line there. That might be one reason for the “skirts and dresses only” crowd that I could get behind. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I don't really know why I feel compelled to comment on this but...underwear covers areas of the body with an orifice, feet are...a self-contained unity.

Except feet touch all sorts of foreign surfaces.  My ladybits touch toilet paper and my spouse ?

Feet are so much more icky.  Unless they’re baby feet, and then they’re for kissing and munching.

• Haha 2

I really don't feel socks need to be changed daily.  If they are sweaty or whatever, sure, but if not, I don't know that I care much. I tend to treat bras the same way, I will wear one more than one day if it is not put under stress. I don't feel the same way about underpants, I feel like they get actually dirty.

I do think a big part of this is that we wash clothes a lot more now.  So we don't bother with things like under-dressed or undershirts nearly as much, we just wash those a lot more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Targhee said:

Died?? Is this a real thing?

Not for you and me, but yeah. You can die of a UTI gone awry and a UTI can be caused by a lack of sanitation. We have bacteria coming out the front that can grow to unhealthy levels and bacteria coming out the back that you absolutely do not want in the front. If I got a UTI I would go to the doctor. If someone without a doctor got a UTI they might die.