Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Multiple days of underwear wear?

Rewear undies?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rewear undies after a shower?

• Yes
    • No
    • WTH?
    • .... this is anonymous right?
  2. 2. Would you let your family members wear the same pair twice without washing them?

• Yes
    • Only if we are camping or it’s a zombie apocalypse
    • HECK NO.
    • Kids yes, husband no
    • I’m throwing up in my mouth just thinking about it
    • My kids can only do it if they never, ever tell me

So.  Would you or would you not wear underwear more than one day?  Would you let your family members do it? Under what circumstances could chonies be ‘recycled’? 

Settle this for me.

Chonies get one wear and then washed.

Never recycled. Never. 

Perhaps after the zombie apocalypse, but probably not. 

Definitely not.

Yeah, I’m back to never. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

I can understand exceptions in theory, especially with how often my kids change clothes, but by making it an absolute no you guarantee constant clean underwear which is essential for good health. 

• Like 5

I tell my kids to change their underwear every day. My older two boys are getting to an age where it's awkward for their mother to try to keep track of something like that. But they know they are supposed to.

• Like 5

No. No

MIL96 tells me that undies are good for 3 days and she cannot understand the younger generations who insist on clean ones each day..

FIL, when he came from Canada for a month long visit never had any laundry for me at all. He would drape his undies in a shrub near the back door for an airing every few days. I am guessing this is not a Canadian custom, just something peculiar to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 6

ewww, ick.   every day.  at a minimum.   little kids who dress themselves need to be trained - but  even my kid who wears the same clothes everyday changes undies.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I tell my kids to change their underwear every day. My older two boys are getting to an age where it's awkward for their mother to try to keep track of something like that. But they know they are supposed to.

it's easy to track - how many show up in the wash?

• Like 2

Can't imagine circumstances where this would happen unless you were kidnapped / stranded in the woods overnight and had to wear the same clothes on two consecutive days.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

No. No

MIL96 tells me that undies are good for 3 days and she cannot understand the younger generations who insist on clean ones each day..

FIL, when he came from Canada for a month long visit never had any laundry for me at all. He would drape his undies in a shrub near the back door for an airing every few days. I am guessing this is not a Canadian custom, just something peculiar to them.

Moderators, we need that fainting smiley back, PLEASE! 

Melissa, you are kidding, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Can't imagine circumstances where this would happen unless you were kidnapped / stranded in the woods overnight and had to wear the same clothes on two consecutive days.

Same here. I once ended up unexpectedly getting caught in very bad weather, so I had to stay in a hotel overnight with no change of clothes and no way to get to a store to buy new ones, and I still managed to wash my underwear in the sink and dry it with the hotel blow dryer. It took a long time to get it dry, but it was worth it. It was bad enough having to re-wear the rest of my clothes, but there was no way I was going to re-wear those undies! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Always change underwear daily.  There have been plenty of times when that hasn't happened though...  We're on the road a lot, and there have been times when we're stranded due to snow, or that I've simply forgotten to pack everything I needed.  If possible, I'll run to the store and buy a cheap pair or two to tide me over.  I've even worn a pair of my dh's in a pinch if he packed extra and I didn't pack enough!  ?  But if it's not possible or I don't have time, I turn mine inside-out and wear them like that for the emergency day.  (Don't know if that really does anything at all, it just makes me feel better!)

Boy, a lot of disclosures there!  

I did insist on a daily change of underwear for my kids, but after a certain age I didn't really pay attention to whether they did that or not.  I assume they did because they're all pretty much neat freaks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

You know, I've never really thought to count. I mean, I would notice if it were drastically low, but two boys with the same size and changing for the pool sometimes...And sometimes they do their own laundry. People are really counting undies?

Maybe I'm too lazy, but I'll just stick with a, "Hey, wear clean underwear every day!" every once in a while and try not to think about it too much. I'm 99% sure they're changing every day.

• Like 5

I'm sure my kids have worn the same clothes, down to the undies, two days in a row more than a few times by virtue of merely refusing to change and me deciding that my hill to die on that day was not clothes.  Life on the spectrum.  That said, not changing your clothes every single day seems different to me than putting on dirty ones you have taken off.  Dirty underwear does not go back on.  When we have been camping and they have run out of underwear, well, there's always commando.  

I put the absolute kibosh on not changing clothes at least daily by getting a clothing organizer with a compartment for each day.  Now they change their clothes daily.  I did this when my oldest started high school because I figured it was high time to make it a hill to die on.  

• Like 11

Back in 1999, I was on the student council at my college.  One day one of the VPs said, in all seriousness that underwear lasted 4 days by turning them backwards on day two and then inside out on day 3 and backwards again on day 4.  He swore this was what he did.  I will admit I avoided sitting next to him after this disclosure.  I hope for his future spouse's sake (yes, he's married now) he was trolling us.  

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

No! You don’t rewear your drawers, unless it’s an emergency! 

Now, WTH are chonies???  

I'm so glad I'm not alone in my cluelessness, and that someone else was brave enough to ask. ?

You know what skeeves me out almost as much as the thought of wearing underwear more than one day? Having to wear the same socks multiple days. Ick. I almost think I'd rather re-wear underwear than socks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EmseB said:

This is basically my answer to the second question, though my kids aren't older.  I often have to double check with them that yes, they put on the clean undies but, life is too short for me to stand in the room as they change every day like 

For the first question about rewearing underwear after a shower.....I voted anonymous lol.  But let me explain. If I have somewhere to be early in the morning, such as maybe dropping a kid off for something, I might get up and change everything in order to get to the place on time.  Then, shower after I get home, and yes, have been known to re-wear at that point.  But that's really the only time and doesn't happen often.  There is however always one new pair every day and if I have been working hard, maybe two lol.  

• Like 3

It has never occurred to me to monitor my family's underpants. This thread is making me feel like I'm the weird one for not doing so!

I don't "let" my kids reuse underwear any more than I "let" them change them in the first place or "let" them go commando. (Noticed yesterday when my 7yo wanted me to look at a spot he thought might be a tick.)

My big kids do a lot of their own laundry.  I do all the rest without any questions. What happens from there doesn't really concern me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Gosh, my problem is getting my kids to stick to one pair a day. Sometimes they are changing 2-3x (and not because of wetting accident). I wash mountains of underwear. 

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Gosh, my problem is getting my kids to stick to one pair a day. Sometimes they are changing 2-3x (and not because of wetting accident). I wash mountains of underwear. 

Here in the hot, humid Southern summer, once a day isn't enough.  It's partly my fault because we wear cotton that doesn't dry fast, but I'd rather do more laundry than wear skivvies drenched in sweat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

No! You don’t rewear your drawers, unless it’s an emergency! 

Now, WTH are chonies???  

I was just wondering the same thing!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Unless they do their own wash...

Here’s an interesting story (and for background, yes, I am in camp one-a-day and have always taught my kids this...): 

For the most part, I have divorced myself from paying much attention to my kids’ clothing (due to their ages) except if the subject comes up for a particular reason. Well, DS13 was going away to camp for a week, so here is just such a reason. I bought a bunch of “new” used clothes that were “ruinable” since the camp would be very active and significantly dirty and no laundry facilities would be available. As I helped him choose which things to bring, this is when I discovered he had only two pair of functional underwear! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

It has never occurred to me to monitor my family's underpants. This thread is making me feel like I'm the weird one for not doing so!

I don't "let" my kids reuse underwear any more than I "let" them change them in the first place or "let" them go commando. (Noticed yesterday when my 7yo wanted me to look at a spot he thought might be a tick.)

My big kids do a lot of their own laundry.  I do all the rest without any questions. What happens from there doesn't really concern me.  

Oh, here’s another funny story about going commando...

Once, when my dd was young (maybe 6? Or so?), she had an appointment at the pediatrician. It was summer and she was wearing a light cotton sundress. Lo and behold, as the ped begins checking out various areas, dd is al fresco! Face flashing hot, I began to mutter an apology, to which the doctor mildly replied, “That’s okay; we all need a little fresh air once in a while.” ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

32 minutes ago, Joules said:

Here in the hot, humid Southern summer, once a day isn't enough.  It's partly my fault because we wear cotton that doesn't dry fast, but I'd rather do more laundry than wear skivvies drenched in sweat!

That's true. I'm in NC and, admittedly, went through 2 pairs yesterday (because...gardening). 

But my kids do it year round. And they'll put on fresh unders at bath time and then a clean pair, an hour later, at bedtime! ?

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

Here’s an interesting story (and for background, yes, I am in camp one-a-day and have always taught my kids this...): 

For the most part, I have divorced myself from paying much attention to my kids’ clothing (due to their ages) except if the subject comes up for a particular reason. Well, DS13 was going away to camp for a week, so here is just such a reason. I bought a bunch of “new” used clothes that were “ruinable” since the camp would be very active and significantly dirty and no laundry facilities would be available. As I helped him choose which things to bring, this is when I discovered he had only two pair of functional underwear! 

This is where I am, lol

Once when I was folding laundry, not too long ago, I noticed DS had pairs of underwear from more than 3 yrs ago that he was still wearing. And every once in a while I will see a pair of underwear that is so filthy I can tell he hasn't been changing it?

But I'm sure he wears a fresh pair after he showers, because he will sometimes forget to bring one into the bathroom with him and will call out for someone to bring him one.

• Haha 1

Oh, and I don't have to tell DH to change his underwear. Thank God!

But, he will pull one out of the laundry basket if he doesn't have a clean pair left in his drawer.

When it does happen (in DH's case) it isn't too horrible though, since we all use a bidet after using the bathroom. I don't trust that DS uses the bidet thoroughly enough. The color in his underwear after a few days is proof of that. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm so glad I'm not alone in my cluelessness, and that someone else was brave enough to ask. ?

You know what skeeves me out almost as much as the thought of wearing underwear more than one day? Having to wear the same socks multiple days. Ick. I almost think I'd rather re-wear underwear than socks.

I would absolutely rewear chonies before socks!  Feet are disgusting.

And chonies is just a slang word for undies or drawers, where I hail from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only exception might be primitive camping but even then you can put on clean underwear whether or not you had shower facilities. And maybe the zombie apocolypse if all the underwear at the empty Target was taken. 

Otherwise no, no, no, no, NO!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I can understand exceptions in theory, especially with how often my kids change clothes, but by making it an absolute no you guarantee constant clean underwear which is essential for good health. 

Where is the research to back up this assertion?

• Like 2

Seems to me no underwear at all might be healthiest. At least that's what kilt wearers claim.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

My kids all know that undies expire after 24 hours or at shower time, whichever comes first.

This is The Rule passed down for generations in both families - mine and dh's.

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My grandparents,  no longer living, were born in 1908 and 1911. They were of the "always were clean underwear in case you're in an accident" belief. They were poor children of immigrants so it's not like they could afford many pairs. I guess they just did laundry a lot, and without the conveniences I have.

• Like 2

Fresh ones with every shower-- unless you forget to pack a pair.  After a shower- used undies- ewww!  Yeah, no reusing socks either!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

The only exception might be primitive camping but even then you can put on clean underwear whether or not you had shower facilities. And maybe the zombie apocolypse if all the underwear at the empty Target was taken. 

Man, I thought I had prepped for the zombies, but I did not stock up on undies!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Back in 1999, I was on the student council at my college.  One day one of the VPs said, in all seriousness that underwear lasted 4 days by turning them backwards on day two and then inside out on day 3 and backwards again on day 4.  He swore this was what he did.  I will admit I avoided sitting next to him after this disclosure.  I hope for his future spouse's sake (yes, he's married now) he was trolling us.  

Have you met Fred from Big Hero 6?

BH6-Fred.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I voted Yes to the first question- but only because I know I have done it.  I've gone on a single overnight stay before only to hop in the shower the next morning and discover that I'd forgotten to pack my unders.  Sure felt gross re-wearing, but if the option is to re-wear over going without, I will re-wear.

My vote on the second question was the camping option.   I don't actually monitor my families underwear wearing/washing.  Everyone pretty much does their own laundry, and everyone takes regular showers, when I assume that new underwear is always in play.  

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

This is basically my answer to the second question, though my kids aren't older.  I often have to double check with them that yes, they put on the clean undies but, life is too short for me to stand in the room as they change every day like 

For the first question about rewearing underwear after a shower.....I voted anonymous lol.  But let me explain. If I have somewhere to be early in the morning, such as maybe dropping a kid off for something, I might get up and change everything in order to get to the place on time.  Then, shower after I get home, and yes, have been known to re-wear at that point.  But that's really the only time and doesn't happen often.  There is however always one new pair every day and if I have been working hard, maybe two lol.  

If I have to pull on clothes to run an errand like that (especially just a dropping off type errand), I just pull on yesterday's pants (having probably slept in yesterday's shirt if it was a T-shirt), and change my underwear when I shower upon my return. The rule in our house is, clean undies when you get up in the morning, unless you just put clean ones on after showering before bedtime, or unless you know that you will be bathing early in the day that day (DS still only showers once or twice a week; some of us are every-other-day shower people, some shower daily. I'm pretty sure, with my slightly irregular shower schedule, that I often wind up wearing an average of >7 pairs/week.

That said, I have never examined too closely what DH or GF do. GF showers daily and I'm pretty sure always puts on clean undies. DH sometimes showers 2x/day and I certainly wash enough of his undershorts that I'm fairly sure he changes them at least daily (I do most of the laundry).

4 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Have you met Fred from Big Hero 6?

BH6-Fred.jpg

Bingo!  That’s exactly what came to my mind as well.

I always make sure we have a minimum of 1 clean pair of underwear a day +1 for camping. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EKS said:

What is the purpose of underwear?

To give me wedgies and make panty lines under my clothes.  Pretty sure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Tina said:

Fresh ones with every shower-- unless you forget to pack a pair.  After a shower- used undies- ewww!  Yeah, no reusing socks either!

Sometimes I end up taking more than one shower a day, especially in summer. Clean underwear happens after each shower. Even if it's only been a few hours since my last shower, I just can't put the same ones back on.

Well, I say change every day.  If people get caught in a bind, I guess they just have to make do though.

I tell my kids to use new ones daily, but I guess what I don't know won't hurt me, kids seem to have different views on these things.

I do recognize though that there are cultural differences on these things.  Some people used to get themselves sewn into their underwear for the winter - of course they didn't shower or bathe at all during that time.  I often think about this when I read historic novels with sexy bits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, maize said:

Seems to me no underwear at all might be healthiest. At least that's what kilt wearers claim.

Not if you live where there's crawly and bitey things 

• Like 1

Daily here ( or sometimes twice a day if we are very sweaty).  

A funny- the only way I discover if DS hasn’t changed his undies is by the laundry.  Recently, I noticed only 2 pairs were making it to the wash. After asking why, he tells me the others don’t fit.  “But don’t worry Mom, I flip them.” Why he didn’t just say- Mom, I need new undies, I have no idea. 

• Haha 2