Menu

Need washer/dryer recommendations

Teresa in MO

I am needing to get a new washer and dryer.  I'm just not sure what I want, am considering either top loader or front loader.  I am leaning toward a front loader. I have had a Maytag Bravos top loader washing machine and dryer for the last 12 years that I have been pretty happy with.  Has had a few repairs and now needs more and its not worth it to put any more money into them. (I am not really interested in getting a speed queen.)  In my research, the most reliable brands seem to be LG, Kenmore, and Maytag.  So any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have been reading a lot about the 2018 Speed Queens and I heard disappointing things.

This machine gets good reviews on this site.    It might be worth researching more:  https://www.cnet.com/products/kenmore-25132-washing-machine/review/

ETA:.   I dunno. I read a few more reviews. I can’t tell if it’s good or bad overall.  It uses a lot of water and seems to take a long time to wash.  I have an ancient machine that washes things in 30 minutes, so I’m spoiled I guess. 

OP:  what do you want in a washer? Low water? Time to wash clothes? Capacity?

I'd keep your old one.  It will be a while before manufacturers catch up with the new energy requirements with reliable machines, if they even ever do.

Or I'd get a Speed Queen, so I guess I'm not much help either.  Speed Queen still has a front loader in their stackable line, and I'm thinking of getting a set to stockpile for our eventual hoped for build of a cottage in our backyard. That's how much of a SQ fanatic I am.

Look up my thread from a few months ago. We were able to revive my washer for a bit longer, but I did all of the research.

I would not go for a 2018 speed queen.

I would look for a front loader with a removal front panel (not integrated) so that any repairs can be easily made. I'm all about washing capacity (family of 6) compared to features.  Given our high water prices, energy efficiency is a must. I'd probably go the Whirlpool WFW85HEFW route and get the matching dryer.