Menu

Super Stealth History

I just may need a new plan for history! I got SOTW and activity books and....my 8 yr old kid doesn't like them!! She's now saying 'history's boring'....I don't want to drop history (obviously) and I try to make it interesting but it doesn't seem to be a good match with my child. So, I pulled out 'A Little History of the World' and she listened while drawing today. Who knows how much sank in and if she was just humoring me. 

So I'm thinking I may temporarily need to abandon a central spine in favor of more topic-specific resources. For example, we're at the beginning of SOTW 1 and I decided to get an audiobook on ancient Egyptian myths (since SOTW didn't grab her attention). I may need to provide more informal, piecemeal kind of instruction, including short, topic-specific books, videos, & high interest activities. So I'm looking for any ancient world resources like this.

I'm trying not to be disappointed but it's hard because I thought I'd chosen a good fit--she loves stories. I've requested the audiobook of SOTW so perhaps that'll hook her (she's an auditory-visual learner). I had wanted a more structured 'all-in-one' curriculum in order to keep ME on track. It seems my planning has missed the mark. Ultimately, I want her to like history & so it's back to the drawing board....

Mine loved the audio version of SOTW but despised the AG and print books.  We play it in the car, and sometimes during breakfast or lunch, or while quietly playing.  They've retained quite a lot - more than I expected.       We started at ages 6 and 7.  They still re-listen now (voluntarily, self-initiated) at ages 9 and 10.

• Like 4

Can you bring us up to speed on your situation and what's working right now and what isn't? I've missed your other posts and am missing the flow. Any disabilities, quirks, or differences?

Just in general, I would assume not liking SOTW just means she doesn't like SOTW. It's written on a low level and isn't engaging if a child is functioning many grades ahead. My dd is a HUGE history buff, always read many grade levels ahead (which maybe your dd does?) and she couldn't stand SOTW. Just the fact that your dd likes Gombrich (mercy, total snooze) tells you the issue is probably SOTW, not the fact that it's history.

Around that age I think we switched my dd over to adult historical fiction and biographies. I'm not saying that's SAFE, just that you really might have the wrong level of material to engage her. She also liked the Holling C Holling books with the Beautiful Feet guide, so those are a strong suggestion. 

I hate history. Like I'm actually bonafide, outspoken, I HATE HISTORY. So if you wanna talk how to work with that, why it happens, we can talk that. But it sounds like you just have a mismatch for level of thought, level of language. You might go ahead and read WEM if you haven't done that yet. It's good methodology to bring down for very alternative learners. Yes, units are fine, but I would question your thesis that they have to be done chronologically. They could be done topically across time or out of order. You can study topics out of order and organize the brain with a timeline. Has she given evidence developmentally that she's interested in chronology and the flow of events? Is she interested in debate or WHY things happen or what the cause/effect was? It's easier to choose the way to teach if you recognize what is going on in her head developmentally, how she's trying to relate to the material.

My dd, for instance, started doing timelines and engaging with them on her own. It was developmental. I'd find her reading in the backs of COFAs, trying to figure out how events connected and how people's children turned out. She was intensely interested in the flow. My ds could care less. Time is irrelevant to him, lol. It just isn't where he is. He's still gathering pieces and looking at cause/effect within tighter parameters. That's where he is. He has autism and significant delays. I try to meet him where he is, with the aspects of the topics that he will find interesting. But to teach in order doesn't matter for him. We can be all over the place, doing geography, US, units on ancients, doesn't matter. He doesn't even realize. For him, we'll collect lots of pieces in his brain and let them organize later, when his brain is ready to organize.

Gombrich is fine and used to even be popular. It's a step up from SOTW and there's a US version as well. You could use Gombrich, breaking out for units hitting aspects she finds interesting (clothing, role of women, whatever), and then the next year repeat with the US book. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I love Holling C Holling's books at that age. I am reading Paddle to the Sea to my 8 yod right now. She begs me to keep reading. ?

It is super easy to tie in geography, cultural studies, science, crafts....whatever you want to do. 

Thanks for this. I will look into your suggestions tonight, as soon as I get off this forum.

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Can you bring us up to speed on your situation and what's working right now and what isn't? I've missed your other posts and am missing the flow. Any disabilities, quirks, or differences?

Just in general, I would assume not liking SOTW just means she doesn't like SOTW. It's written on a low level and isn't engaging if a child is functioning many grades ahead. My dd is a HUGE history buff, always read many grade levels ahead (which maybe your dd does?) and she couldn't stand SOTW. Just the fact that your dd likes Gombrich (mercy, total snooze) tells you the issue is probably SOTW, not the fact that it's history.

Around that age I think we switched my dd over to adult historical fiction and biographies. I'm not saying that's SAFE, just that you really might have the wrong level of material to engage her. She also liked the Holling C Holling books with the Beautiful Feet guide, so those are a strong suggestion. 

I hate history. Like I'm actually bonafide, outspoken, I HATE HISTORY. So if you wanna talk how to work with that, why it happens, we can talk that. But it sounds like you just have a mismatch for level of thought, level of language. You might go ahead and read WEM if you haven't done that yet. It's good methodology to bring down for very alternative learners. Yes, units are fine, but I would question your thesis that they have to be done chronologically. They could be done topically across time or out of order. You can study topics out of order and organize the brain with a timeline. Has she given evidence developmentally that she's interested in chronology and the flow of events? Is she interested in debate or WHY things happen or what the cause/effect was? It's easier to choose the way to teach if you recognize what is going on in her head developmentally, how she's trying to relate to the material.

My dd, for instance, started doing timelines and engaging with them on her own. It was developmental. I'd find her reading in the backs of COFAs, trying to figure out how events connected and how people's children turned out. She was intensely interested in the flow. My ds could care less. Time is irrelevant to him, lol. It just isn't where he is. He's still gathering pieces and looking at cause/effect within tighter parameters. That's where he is. He has autism and significant delays. I try to meet him where he is, with the aspects of the topics that he will find interesting. But to teach in order doesn't matter for him. We can be all over the place, doing geography, US, units on ancients, doesn't matter. He doesn't even realize. For him, we'll collect lots of pieces in his brain and let them organize later, when his brain is ready to organize.

Gombrich is fine and used to even be popular. It's a step up from SOTW and there's a US version as well. You could use Gombrich, breaking out for units hitting aspects she finds interesting (clothing, role of women, whatever), and then the next year repeat with the US book. 

Good food for thought! No quirks or LDs but rather the opposite (I suspect she's G/T). I just may blend the 2 books, picking interesting tidbits from SOTW. We have a few visual world history books too. I like posing the idea of a timeline (a homemade one) to anchor things. I think you're right--Little History is richer in detail (plus it's got pictures). Perhaps she just does need more to fuel her insatiably creative mind. Being flexible with presenting historical events may also work better. We've done that up to this point--jumped around. It's just that I MYSELF wanted a more linear progression of study. This jumping around (fueled by interest, etc.) has allowe us to cover quite a bit of history actually. So why fix what's not broken, eh? I'll play around with things & implement some of the suggestions above. What's WEM?

If you go to the juvenile non-fiction section of your library you may find some books. You might find a series that works for her. I usually used the TQ (TruthQuest) guides and VP catalog to keep dd in books. TQ has books across levels, so I usually gave her a pile every week that spanned levels and topics to go with the VP card we were studying. 

WEM=Well-Educated Mind. Will probably be at your library.

Kids can also be 2E, gifted with disabilities. Pretty common around here. Definitely wouldn't be the case to think I was implying she was less bright by asking about quirks and differences. The differences just sometimes mean they need more customization or a different angle or are less flexible in how they learn. 

If she likes to craft and reenact, she might like the Day in the Life of... books. TOG will usually have good books for hands-on in their bookstore.

My kid does like SOTW, but we supplement with short videos. Ted Ed has short history videos. They are geared at adults, so I do pre-watch them. The videos are engaging but he also really thrives on things that are slightly above his level/when he is talked to like an adult - if you get what I mean. 

The other thing that really works for him is when I go to the library and check out all of their non-fiction stuff on a specific history topic, and let him read it on his own.

I read the SOTW story to him, and then I try to find a video about the topic. If I want him to learn more about the topic, I'll grab some books from the library for him to read on his own..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

My kid does like SOTW, but we supplement with short videos. Ted Ed has short history videos. They are geared at adults, so I do pre-watch them. The videos are engaging but he also really thrives on things that are slightly above his level/when he is talked to like an adult - if you get what I mean. 

The other thing that really works for him is when I go to the library and check out all of their non-fiction stuff on a specific history topic, and let him read it on his own.

I read the SOTW story to him, and then I try to find a video about the topic. If I want him to learn more about the topic, I'll grab some books from the library for him to read on his own..

TedEd is a good idea--she already likes that series. I'll look now for related videos. She's a 'fact collector' so games that sneak in information are popular around here. It's tough going to find world history games accessible to 8 yr olds though. 

• Like 1

I'm right there with you.  My 14yo son loved history; our copy of the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History is in tatters from him spending hours a day reading it when he was little.  My 13yo isn't a history lover, but he had no complaints with SOTW.  But this 7yo sister of theirs is something else.  I'm just sitting down to plan out her first grade year, knowing that SOTW doesn't keep her interested.  may

I think I may use SOTW as my reference spine and take her to the library every week.  I will pull out a bunch of books related to that weeks' topic and let her choose those which she finds most interesting.  I will be watching this thread for more ideas, though!

Oh!  Mary Pope Osbourne (The Magic Tree House author) has a version of The Odyssey for kids.  We have the audiobook, and I highly recommend it.  

• Like 2

I'm currently researching history podcasts suitable for kids. We also get Dig magazine, which boosts our history exposure. We're also currently listening to 'How They Croaked', which provides bio's of historical people. She seems to really dig biographies. This may sound cheesy but 'A Night at the Museum' triology has actually spurred LOTS of learning and discussion (same for 'National Treasure'). I'm always on the lookout for more 'pop culture' history tie-ins. I'd love to go to some local re-enactments. 

So....I guess I'm convincing myself to let go of that schedule I had in my head & accomplish things more in line with the kid I've got in front of me.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but how about skipping formal texts (no matter how story-like), and instead, enjoy some historical fiction readers and read-alouds, plus biographies of interesting people, along with lots of interesting documentaries and feature films set in different historical time periods. Humor also tends to keep interest high -- so possibly things like the "You Wouldn't Want to Be..." book series, or the Horrible History videos, etc.

I absorbed a LOT of history like that (historical fiction and movies) as a kid, as my public school education did not really do any kind of formal history studies -- all I remember is that we had a unit on pilgrims and one on state history in elementary grades, and then a year of American History that was pretty much only about WW2 in high school. I disliked that sort of History study, and didn't realize that I really DID like History until I was in my 20s and working at a TV station and was put in charge of creating 30-second "This Day in History" type of spot. When I realized it was about fascinating people and events, I fell in love with History.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Just a thought, but how about skipping formal texts (no matter how story-like), and instead, enjoy some historical fiction readers and read-alouds, plus biographies of interesting people, along with lots of interesting documentaries and feature films set in different historical time periods. Humor also tends to keep interest high -- so possibly things like the "You Wouldn't Want to Be..." book series, or the Horrible History videos, etc.

I absorbed a LOT of history like that (historical fiction and movies) as a kid, as my public school education did not really do any kind of formal history studies -- all I remember is that we had a unit on pilgrims and one on state history in elementary grades, and then a year of American History that was pretty much only about WW2 in high school. I disliked that sort of History study, and didn't realize that I really DID like History until I was in my 20s and working at a TV station and was put in charge of creating 30-second "This Day in History" type of spot. When I realized it was about fascinating people and events, I fell in love with History.

Yeah, I think you're right on this one. I myself had preferred to use a central spine in order to keep myself on track. However, it doesn't seem to be working. Quite honestly, I'd prefer to stoke her passion for history (via piecemeal but varied and interesting resources) than squash it (owing to my desire for order & consistency). This thread has helped me 'see the light' and I'm not only changing direction but getting excited about it myself again. You suggested films in another thread I'd started so I'll revisit it in prepping for my new methodology. Thanks!

• Like 2

My 8 yrs old loves the SOTW. When we starts half a year ago, she would not touch the books because they are too long and dry looking. We have been listening to the audio CD on the way to and from her school. It is so much easier than the books. Now she loves so much that she puts all first 3 books on her night table and read them every night. We are now listening to the fourth CD. I did not do any activities from the activity book. I will wait till she has a good understanding of the books first. History should be enjoyed.

Listening to some greek myth would be a nice preprepation for the SOTW. TedED is also a favourite. I have not found any interesting historical DVD. If anyone knows some good ones, pls recommend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Earthmerlin said:

Lori, could you please link that post of history movies here? Is it just me who is having trouble finding old threads? Much appreciated!

elementary and up
"Movies for SOTW 3"
"I'm looking for movies to supplement Sonlight's Core D Intro to American History"
"Videos/DVDs/Movies for Early Modern Times? Age appropriate for a 7yo"

middle school / high school
"Movies to go with Middle Ages?" 
"Documentaries/Movies and Biographies for 20th Century World History" 
Favorite American History DVDs? (for ages 10-14)
Movies for Modern History (Vietnam - Present) for Logic students (US and World)
Movies/documentaries on Native Americans (US History)
Documentaries/movies and biographies for 20th Century World History (US and World)
Movie suggestions for 1890-1913 time period (US and World)

high school
The most accurate, well-done US history films? (documentaries and feature films)
Movies/documentaries for US History (feature films)
American History movies (see post #6 for Eliana's list; mostly feature films)
20th century American history for 9th grade (documentaries and feature films)
Good movie about modern U.S.? (movies to go with contemporary (post 2000) US History)
Movies for Modern History
Movies instead of Literature to go with History study?
Still working on my modern history through books and films
History through Movies question (Cold War films)

website lists
Drive Through History: Holy LandAncientsAmerican Hisory (family friendly educational videos -- check the library)
Schlessinger Media videos (US and World History; educational videos for different grade levels -- check the library)
Guest Hollow (elementary through high school -- books & movies to go with History)
Funda Funda (high school -- books & movies to go with US history)
Modern History in the Movies (high school/adult)
World History Movies (many family-friendly titles)
Historical Movies (the granddaddy of all history movie lists -- most are adult or older teen level)

• Like 2

Audiobook suggestions please! My kiddo likes 'How They Croaked' on CD, which is surprising since she's not really into guts & gore. I myself actually have to pause the CDs at certain points because I get light-headed from all the blood & guts talk (I'm such a light-weight that way). 

Anyhoo, they're bios of famous people throughout history and while not a full account of historical times, I'll take it nonetheless (for a kid who suddenly thinks history's boring). I'm finding it a springboard for discussion & fodder for additional research (albeit in baby bites). 

So does anyone know of other historical books or bios or whatnot that presents material in entertaining lil' chunks or with a wacky slant?They don"t have to be gore related (I don't know I can handle more) but yes, with a focus on history. I can then look for these titles on audiobooks--hopefully read w/ a full cast or in an entertaining way. This approach seems to be working best for now so I want to keep the momentum going.

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished 'Animals Marco Polo Saw' and I supplemented with some short videos and real photos. Score!

We just got 'Paddle By Sea' so we'll see if she goes for that one.

Kid really likes 'Girls/Boys Who Rocked the World' CDs so I'm counting that as part of 'history' (as I do 'How They Croaked').

We're learning about good ol' Benji (LOL) via the 'Ben and Me' audiobook. I've got some other books on Philadelphia landmarks, etc. in prep for our trip there next week. 

We also played Ancient History Go Fish. Not super fun but I'd pull it out again at some point.

We tour the White House in 2 weeks & we've toured the Supreme Court and Capitol building.

In posting this, I see I've accomplished quite a bit in exposing her to some history. Why then does it still bug me that we're not covering it sequentially? Am I that much of a stickler for 'dates'? Hmmm....I think I' concerned she won't know where the pieces all fit together. Am I jumping the gun here? How do you casually build that general timeline of events for kids this age? UGH!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthmerlin said:

I see I've accomplished quite a bit in exposing her to some history. Why then does it still bug me that we're not covering it sequentially? Am I that much of a stickler for 'dates'? Hmmm....I think I' concerned she won't know where the pieces all fit together. Am I jumping the gun here? How do you casually build that general timeline of events for kids this age? UGH!!

I think you should just go ahead and homeschool, so you can "fully scratch that itch." (Or, just stress yourself out even more...) (:D

• Like 1

We totally did stealth history, for a long, long time. :-) In fact, the first time that we did a structured history at all was when the dc were 9 and 12 and we did Vol. 2 KONOS, which is American history from the ancient scientists and explorers to the writing of the U.S. Constitution. 

• Like 1

well- SOTW activity books have excellent suggested reading.  Maybe the paper activities are unloved by your child but some of those books in recommended reading are gems.  I'm referring to the picture books not the chapter books or textbooks.  

Super stealthy too if you're just reading a book.....

• Like 1

On August 18, 2018 at 11:15 PM, Lori D. said:

I think you should just go ahead and homeschool, so you can "fully scratch that itch." (Or, just stress yourself out even more...) (:D

LOL, I wish I could homeschool full-time. But alas, I need to work. Overall I think we're doing pretty well, supplementing things and all. I think we've had an enriching summer (in fact we're in Philly now). Having had all this free time during vacation will mean scaling back during the school year. I suppose that's part of my worry about getting my mental 'to do' list tackled before school starts. But with a deep breath, realistic goals, & focus I will no doubt keep on keepin' on.....

• Like 1

On August 19, 2018 at 11:03 AM, benzino said:

well- SOTW activity books have excellent suggested reading.  Maybe the paper activities are unloved by your child but some of those books in recommended reading are gems.  I'm referring to the picture books not the chapter books or textbooks.  

Super stealthy too if you're just reading a book.....

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I'll need to revisit those literature connections. We've already read a few and they went over much better than SOTW itself.

• 1 month later...

It's me again. Can anyone suggest a pre-made super simple US history timeline? Also, any hands-on timeline-ish activities?

We just saw a kids' performance of the American Revolution at the Kennedy Ctr--it was engaging. Anyhoo, in prepping for it we read and talked a bit about this era in US history. My child confuses this with the Civil War. I feel this 'bits & pieces' approach to history (while allowing us to digest things in little chunks) doesn't permit her to create a more solid schema. She's a visual learner so perhaps a moveable pieces timeline can help build context. Any ideas?

12 hours ago, Earthmerlin said:

...Can anyone suggest a pre-made super simple US history timeline?

American History Timeline -- poster
Quick Study Academic: American History 1 (1492-1877) and 2 (1862-2008) -- not very visual; list of key events by year & described in a phrase
Teachers Pay Teachers: American History Wall Display -- free digital download; 46 key events, each as a "mini poster" to print and laminate
Hopes & Dreams: US History Timeline -- printable pdf in 6 pages; timeline listing key events from 1750-2015 (with some events earlier than 1750)
American History in 50 Events -- book; 1 page per key event, outlining US History from Pre-Columbian to 2008, in 50 major events
ETA: DK Smithsonian: Children's Encyclopedia of American History -- book with loads of illustrations/photos; covers 1400s to 2013; arranged chronologically in 18 chapters, with a timeline and brief overview of the period covered at the start of each chapter

... Also, any hands-on timeline-ish activities?

Asmodee Timeline: American History Game
Lift the Flap Timelines: American History
A Book in Time: big list/links to online American History games and activities

... She's a visual learner so perhaps a moveable pieces timeline can help build context. Any ideas?

Maybe make your own timeline or flashcards or cards and make up your own game? Can use pre-made stickers from:
- Sonlight Timeline Figures, core D and core E (American History parts 1 & 2)
- History Through the Ages: American History

Not U.S. History, but while we're on the subject of timelines, these two books look like a treat for a visual learner:
Smithsonian: Timelines of Everything
History Year By Year

Edited by Lori D.
added resource
  • Like 1

...We just saw a kids' performance of the American Revolution at the Kennedy Ctr--it was engaging. Anyhoo, in prepping for it we read and talked a bit about this era in US history...

You guys might also enjoy the musical movie 1776. And she's at a great age for the animated Liberty's Kids series.

...My child confuses this with the Civil War...

That's very common. Both wars are in the long past and were the 2 big wars where the U.S. was a major player, so it's easy for kids (and adults, lol) to confuse the two.

It's very possible that your informal after-schooling and supplements over time will will just naturally clear up the confusion as you provide more details and background about the American Revolution now, and later on when you watch movies / read books / do supplements / visit historical sites on the Civil War.

Or maybe a simple word connection would help differentiate the 2 wars:

American Revolution = revolt of American colonies against mother country of Britain to "reboot" as their own country [revolution / revolt start with same 5 letters -- revolution / reboot start with the same 2 letters]

civil war = is a NOT civil (mannerly) conflict between the citizens of the same country; American Civil War (also called War Between the States) = the states of the United States were not united when the states went to war against each other over the issues of state's rights and slavery [civil / citizens start with same 2 letters -- civil / state's rights / slavery all start with the same "S" sound]

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Holling C. Holling books are awesome!

The "You Wouldn't Want to be" series are great - gross but kids love them. 

Kids' Animated History with Pippo on Amazon Prime is great - my 9 yr old asks for more episodes!

Who Was? Series on Netflix

Pioneers and Patriots is a nice book on American History - it has chapters about various American events but told from the perspective of a child living in those times. 

It's Catholic, but Story of Civilization has an audio version that is EXCELLENT - very dramatic, lots of sound effects, etc. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 5:27 AM, Earthmerlin said:

Any suggestions for history board games? With winter coming & more indoor time I’d like to stock up on games (since we love them so).

It's not a board game, but you might try https://www.amazon.com/Looney-Labs-009LOO-Chrononauts/dp/1929780109/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Looney+labs+card+game+history&qid=1574707391&sr=8-2   Chrononauts -- a card game about time travelling through time.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 7:20 AM, Ktgrok said:

Holling C. Holling books are awesome!

The "You Wouldn't Want to be" series are great - gross but kids love them. 

Kids' Animated History with Pippo on Amazon Prime is great - my 9 yr old asks for more episodes!

Who Was? Series on Netflix

Pioneers and Patriots is a nice book on American History - it has chapters about various American events but told from the perspective of a child living in those times. 

It's Catholic, but Story of Civilization has an audio version that is EXCELLENT - very dramatic, lots of sound effects, etc. 

The CD you mentioned I just ordered from the library. I’ll look into the others as well!

On 11/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, vonfirmath said:

It's not a board game, but you might try https://www.amazon.com/Looney-Labs-009LOO-Chrononauts/dp/1929780109/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Looney+labs+card+game+history&qid=1574707391&sr=8-2   Chrononauts -- a card game about time travelling through time.

Super neat looking & I just put it into my Amazon cart!