Menu

More thorough daily dental care impliments

Ginevra

I have an ordinary toothbrush, ordinary toothpaste and ordinary floss. My dentist recommended I go to soft bristles because I am wearing enamel improperly due to vigorous brushing. Well, so that is what I have now but when I finish brushing my teeth *gently*, I can feel spots that did not get clean. So I am not liking that.

I feel that perhaps the better choice is electric or something, but I don’t know much about those and they seem really awkward to use (are they?). Any recommendations? 

I personally don’t use an electric toothbrush because I don’t like the feel of it, but my husband and son swear by their Sonicares. I use a soft brush, floss, and a Waterpik. My old, now retired dentist was a huge believer in Waterpiks, and I’m definitely a convert. At my last appointment, my new dentist told me he rarely sees gums as healthy as mine in someone my age.

• Like 1

My dh has Sonicare and loves it.  He actually first tried a cheaper model for several years, but ended up needing to replace it every few months.  It was kind of bizarre.  It was always under warranty so we could just exchange it for a new one, but the fact that it only lasted a few months was a real hassle.  It was supposed to last a lot longer;  we've always blamed our home electrical system, which is old and some cheaper appliances, etc., don't work well with it.

• Like 1

I feel really stupid asking this, but how do you use the Sonicare? Like, you put a little paste on the tip and just hold it individually on each tooth surface? So, you don’t move your hand or arm, just hold it at each tooth surface for a few seconds? 

Same question for the waterpik...

42 minutes ago, Quill said:

I feel really stupid asking this, but how do you use the Sonicare? Like, you put a little paste on the tip and just hold it individually on each tooth surface? So, you don’t move your hand or arm, just hold it at each tooth surface for a few seconds? 

For the Waterpik, you slowly move the tip around the outside and inside of each tooth. So basically an U shape movement around each lower tooth (and an inverted U around each upper tooth) while holding the wand vertical to the extent possible. I usually do all the outsides first and then the insides. My water usually runs out just as I’m finishing the last tooth.

• Like 2

I'm also an over achiever when it comes to manual brushing. It was really doing a number on my gums. I'd had a Sonicare many years ago with fabulous results but never replaced it when the battery died. At my hygienist's urging I got another one about three years ago and my gums were in much better condition within a few months. She's no longer measuring the pockets when I go. Usage is simple, although it does take a few times to get the hang of it. Put your toothpaste on and stick it in your mouth. Press the button to turn it on. If you turn it on before it's in your mouth you may have a toothpaste covered bathroom. ? You move it (gently, w/o pressure) from tooth to tooth. Allow the brush to do the work. Most have a built in 30 second timer (beeps). The goal is to spend 30 seconds on each quadrant of your mouth, and when it beeps you move to another quadrant. Whether you linger on individual teeth within that quadrant or move it back and forth around the entire quadrant is, I suppose, a personal preference.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quill said:

I have been using a Sonicare several weeks now I guess. It did take some getting used to. It actually was designed to have the first 14 uses slowly ramp up in speed so you could get used to it. Now I really like it and am trying to sell DH on it. The brush tip is really small so it only needs a pea sized amount of toothpaste. I dip it under the water then put it in my mouth then turn it on. I move the brush back and forth and try to change the angle a little. The instructions say to brush at a 45 degree angle but I don't know if I'm doing that or not so I move it around hoping it's getting to where it's supposed to be going. 

• Like 1

What a timely topic, Quill! I was just about to check Walmart to see what kinds of electric toothbrushes they had. Now I know what I will look for when I go!

For those of you who use a Waterpik, which style do you use? The old-fashioned kind with the bucket reservoir or the single-person one?

• Like 1