Menu

Breaking the Barrier Spanish iBook questions

3 minutes ago, TCB said:

You can buy a test packet so you could have the tests for your portfolio but I don't know about the ability to print from the ibook.

Oh, perfect. I didn’t see that on their website.  Just the homeschool package. I’ll go look again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

When we used it, we didn't  use the tests, so I don't know. I screenshotted a couple of things for the sake of portfolios at one point, but otherwise it all just sat on the iPad.

Thank you.  We could screen shot. True!  

Has anyone used the tests then? Or are they superfluous?

We will be beginning in a few weeks, so no experience yet. I purchased the print materials, not the ibook. They do have a test packet (I purchased from Rainbow), and I just pulled it out to take a look. We have never really tested, but as we move towards high school (dd is 8th this year), we are moving more towards tests and grading in some subjects. I like the look of the tests. They have oral components, require a good bit of sentence construction, and have a composition section...We will be using them. This is one area I am really aiming for mastery so I believe the tests will help me gauge whether it has been reached. 

• Like 1

Tests are not included but are purchasesble at the website 

Theres no printing (or need to print) from the ibook

We did not do a portfolio. We bought the tests from the BtB website and Practice Makes Perfect workbooks, both providing written work with scores to give an objective grade.  Also included in my grade was completion of Rosetta Stone Spanish.  

FWIW BtB Spanish is pretty quick moving and the three levels cover four years of high school Spanish. We did 3/4 of a Level with supporting practice in Rosetta Stone and Practice Makes Perfect is equivalent to one year of high school Spanish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Targhee said:

Tests are not included but are purchasesble at the website 

Theres no printing (or need to print) from the ibook

We did not do a portfolio. We bought the tests from the BtB website and Practice Makes Perfect workbooks, both providing written work with scores to give an objective grade.  Also included in my grade was completion of Rosetta Stone Spanish.  

FWIW BtB Spanish is pretty quick moving and the three levels cover four years of high school Spanish. We did 3/4 of a Level with supporting practice in Rosetta Stone and Practice Makes Perfect is equivalent to one year of high school Spanish.

Thank you.  Wait, so  BTB covers Spanish 1-4? I did not realize that. Does the publisher say that anyplace? So with 12 chapters/modules per book, Spanish 1 would be the first 9? 

Off to find the workbooks and look at them now too.

Did you have your kids take notes in a notebook from the iBook lessons? 

6 hours ago, GeoKitty said:

Thank you.  Wait, so  BTB covers Spanish 1-4? I did not realize that. Does the publisher say that anyplace? So with 12 chapters/modules per book, Spanish 1 would be the first 9? 

Off to find the workbooks and look at them now too.

Did you have your kids take notes in a notebook from the iBook lessons? 

Not exactly. They say on the description of level 3 that it covers everything you need to take SAT II, A.P., or IB Spanish tests, and in the FAQ it says that the twelve chapters of each book are often spread over multiple years.  If you compare the scope and sequence with any high school syllabus you will see it covers more grammar topics in each level than a typical High school year. 

I did not have my dd take notes. But that isn’t how she learns well from a text. 

I am glad we added the Practice Makes Perfect for additional practice, as well as Rosetta Stone.

• Like 1

My son (or sons?) will be doing BTB Spanish.  I'm considering adding Homeschool Spanish Academy, one class a week.  My other son used HSA last year and really enjoyed it, but the cost of using that as our main Spanish curriculum is more than we want to spend- $600 for one credit.  

Edited by my2boysteacher
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

Does anyone know where there might be lesson plans for BtB Spanish? What is everyone who is using/have used planning?

I haven’t seen a lesson plan(s).  I just broke the chapters apart into what I thought would be daily chunks (including our other resources).