Menu

How to transcript this "5th" year due to illness?

I much prefer to do transcripts by subject, but for the schools that require transcripts be done by year I am struggling with how to do this. My daughter spent a 2nd year finishing up 10th grade due to significant time lost to illness. Some things we finished in a minimal way, most were continued the following year. Some of the things the 2nd year I'm not going to put on the transcript (such as the extremely valuable semester we spent between Geometry and Algebra 2 firming up skills, and the semester after Biology spent learning about lab work and specific affected organs) but her 10th grade section still contains more credits than is reasonable for one year and some duplication of subjects such as history(medieval and US I, literature(medieval and Western), and 1.5 credits of foreign language(2 different languages). I'm thinking of putting most of the courses on the 10th grade year with this note:

* 10th grade was completed over 2 years time do to an extended illness [edited to change it per recommendations]

Thoughts?

edited to add:She will not be applying to competitive schools.

Thanks,

Kendall 

We were in a similar situation with my middle daughter (not homeschooled) who needed to repeat 11th grade due to medical issues. She also switched schools for her second go at 11th grade. While I was not privy to exactly what her guidance counselor wrote in her recommendation, I believe it was a simple "for medical reasons" type of explanation. The one thing that the guidance counselor emphasized was the need for her transcripts to "account for" each of her years of schooling. So even though she left her previous school in November and her grades for that first marking period were terrible (she was dealing with frequent seizures at the time), we included that transcript in her application package. She got into several competitive colleges including GWU, Skidmore and her dream school, Colorado College, where she will be a sophomore next year.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1