Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Thatboyofmine

Cleaning out... I need a Sleuth!

Trying to figure out if this sterling silver bowl is worth anything. Mom hates it but doesn't want to toss it if it's valuable.   The pic is of the bottom... any silver experts?? 

IMG_2431.JPG

The lion may mean it is British sterling, but I think you would have to ask a jeweler for value.

• Thanks 1

Even if the item is not valuable or in demand, you can sell it to someone who will melt it down for the silver. But do NOT go straight to a place that buys precious metals, they will not know if it is worth more intact. 

An auction house will usually evaluate for free, and some will do it online (you send in photos, detailed description, etc). A jeweler or appraiser you will probably have to pay, but it might be worth it depending on cost. An appraiser will charge you because they can't buy something they appraised (well, they shouldn't, conflict of interest). 

So, if she's willing to be a bit patient, you can probably verify if it has more value than the silver itself. 

I hope it's a heavy plate! 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

It looks to be Watson & Hildeburn, according to this link: http://www.chineseargent.com/home/maker-w-2

Wow!   I think this is it.   The hive never fails!    Ok, I’m looking more into it now and going through a load of more things that may or may not be valuable.  Kinda interesting but hard as all get out to track stuff down! 

If it isn't valuable per se, wait a few months or years to sell it as scrap.  The price of silver is really low right now, it's usually inverse to how the market is doing.  When the market is making money people pull out of precious metals. If political & economic circumstances change, the value of silver will go way up immediately.

• Thanks 1