Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW30: Bookish birthdays and News

Robin M

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Mum or Loesje - Did you get to see the blood moon lunar esclipse in your area?  

I just went outside and tried thanks to your reminder, no luck.  Total cloud cover which other than missing the eclipse is super exciting.  It might rain......our grass is brown, my flowers are pitiful.  It rained a bit last night around 2am and I got up to look and I had a hedgehog scurrying through my yard.  I think he was out celebrating! 

• Like 3

For the Brit Trippers and anyone else.....

My neighbors returned home from their holiday near Whitby and brought home a favorite treat for dd and I,  Yorkshire Bracken from a famous(in Yorkshire ?bakery).  https://www.botham.co.uk/bakery/yorkshire-brack-bothams.html. I know it’s fruited cake which many of you are cringing over but trust me it’s really good!  I looked around for the recipe and found this article with one that is close https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/lifestyle/food/overnight-yorkshire-tea-loaf and has some interesting pictures.  The loaf dd and I just ate half of if filled with dried currents but I think other fruits could work well, raisins and dates particularly.

I finished another Gloucester cozy,  Stella Cameron’s Folly.  I think I like this series better than the Rebecca Tope Cotswolds series but would happily read more of either.

• Like 6

I just read that according to the Pew Research Center, 1 in 4 American adults don't even read 1 book in a year.  When asked why people said they don't have time, yet statistically Americans (age 2 and up) watch 4 hours and 16 minutes watching TV daily. 

I find those numbers shocking but not surprising. I wonder if the TV watching includes Youtube. I admit that my reading time has decreased since I started watching Youtube. It's a habit I need to reduce so I can once again get back to my pre-Youtube reading life. In my very small defense, I do watch videos to learn things. I love SciShow and TED. I like watching Dr. Dray videos about skin care. So, yeah, at least I'm learning. 

Anyway, how do you all combat things that take time from reading? And does anyone else here wish they had a waterproof cover for your preferred audiobook listening device so you could listen to audiobooks while in the shower? Is that just me? 

Still trying to find a book to draw me in after my super busy June and July. I have a huge tr list, but the books are either not available or don't interest me at this moment. I don't like reading slumps, and it doesn't help that Youtube can distract from trying to get over my slump!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mom-ninja. said:

I just read that according to the Pew Research Center, 1 in 4 American adults don't even read 1 book in a year.  When asked why people said they don't have time, yet statistically Americans (age 2 and up) watch 4 hours and 16 minutes watching TV daily. 

I find those numbers shocking but not surprising. I wonder if the TV watching includes Youtube. I admit that my reading time has decreased since I started watching Youtube. It's a habit I need to reduce so I can once again get back to my pre-Youtube reading life. In my very small defense, I do watch videos to learn things. I love SciShow and TED. I like watching Dr. Dray videos about skin care. So, yeah, at least I'm learning. 

Anyway, how do you all combat things that take time from reading? And does anyone else here wish they had a waterproof cover for your preferred audiobook listening device so you could listen to audiobooks while in the shower? Is that just me? 

Still trying to find a book to draw me in after my super busy June and July. I have a huge tr list, but the books are either not available or don't interest me at this moment. I don't like reading slumps, and it doesn't help that Youtube can distract from trying to get over my slump!

Youtube and facebook videos are biting into my reading time as well. Plus James asking me to watch something on youtube with him. And don't get me started on Doctor who. We just watched a remastered version of Shada (written by Douglas Adams) with Tom Baker on BBC.    Despite the fact we fast forwarded through all the commercials, was still almost 3 hours long. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, mumto2 said:

I just went outside and tried thanks to your reminder, no luck.  Total cloud cover which other than missing the eclipse is super exciting.  It might rain......our grass is brown, my flowers are pitiful.  It rained a bit last night around 2am and I got up to look and I had a hedgehog scurrying through my yard.  I think he was out celebrating! 

Sorry you missed the eclipse.  Love the hedge hog tales. Yeah for rain, but not here. The contractors torn off half of the roof on our project house. The rain can stay away for a while. 

• Like 2