Menu

Chemistry - online class recommendation

Hi,

I need recommendation in enrolling my daughter in a chemistry class. There are couple of options:

1. The virtual high school $999

2. Well Trained Mind Chemistry with Alicia Knickerbocker

3. Chemadvantage.com has a link on left that takes to http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/   which offers both regular and honors chemistry class.

Does anyone has any experience through any of the above classes? She will be doing learning of chemistry as an after-school activity.

Also if you have success with any other online classes who can assign work and also grade her work will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

26 minutes ago, Starstar said:

Hi,

I need recommendation in enrolling my daughter in a regular chemistry class. There are couple of options:

1. The virtual high school $999

2. Well Trained Mind Chemistry with Alicia Knickerbocker

3. Chemadvantage

Does anyone has any experience through any of the above classes? She will be doing learning of chemistry as an after-school activity.

Also if you have success with any other online classes who can assign work and also grade her work will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

I only have experience with ChemAdvantage, so hopefully others will chime in with more information.

ChemAdvantage is a fantastic course, but it is an AP class and the vast majority of kids will already have taken a regular chemistry class.  I don't think it would be a good fit since you are looking for a regular chemistry class, especially since this class will be an after-school activity.  

2 hours ago, Starstar said:

Sorry, I should have clarified - chemadvantage website has a link on the left that takes to http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/

and they offer chemistry class both at regular and honors level.

Any reviews on this?

Clover Valley is brand new. Those are Dicentra’s courses (she is a board member). While she is a very experienced chem teacher, she is offering the online version of her courses for the first time this coming academic year. There will be no reviews that you can find. However I suggest you contact her with any specific questions if you are interested. I am not sure if she still has more spots in her classes.

• Like 1

BlueTent offers Honors Chemistry https://www.bluetentonline.com/honors-chemistry

Bearean Builders offers the same as well https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/online-classes/

Mr. Moskaluk (I've heard based on reviews) is an amazing Chemistry teacher. I don't think he'd link anyone that wouldn't provide a great class - I'd go with Clover Valley for sure. But that's just my take!

Here are three options for you to check out from 3 respectable online choices:

Big River Academy Uses Wile's new Discovering Design with Chemistry. 10% off classes in July. Use code: JULY

Excelsior : Uses Modern Chemistry by Rinehart and Winston Holt | ISBN-13: 978-0030367861 | ISBN-10: 0030367867
The course lab manual will be supplied via PDF after the course begins.

Bright Ideas Press Academy Chemistry with Chris Leingang. Uses Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 2nd edition, by Wile ISBN: 978-1-932012-26-2

I think Clover Valley is full for this year, but you can always check.

My dd took Excelsior's chemistry with a different text but I think the same teacher (Childress) as who is teaching it this fall. She loved the class. It is not "honors" level, but just a solid regular level class. She liked the teacher and enjoyed the class. The teacher graded homework, lab write-ups, and tests. It was a live class (but recordings were available). Obviously, live classes are more fun if you can attend live.

I helped a struggling college student with chemistry. We enrolled in Thinkwell College Chemistry.Watch the videos and did the TW homework and test in conjunction with his college class.  No problem recommending. With Homeschoolbuyer discount, I think we paid $60 for the class.

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I think Clover Valley is full for this year, but you can always check.

My dd took Excelsior's chemistry with a different text but I think the same teacher (Childress) as who is teaching it this fall. She loved the class. It is not "honors" level, but just a solid regular level class. She liked the teacher and enjoyed the class. The teacher graded homework, lab write-ups, and tests. It was a live class (but recordings were available). Obviously, live classes are more fun if you can attend live.

I just went to check. It looks like the regular Chem class isn’t full, just the Honors one.

• Like 1