Menu

Last few days of July photo challenge prompts

fairfarmhand

Something I Heard Today:

This pet water fountain has saved the floors because our younger cat would constantly spill water out of both her and her sister cat's water bowls. Since we got the fountain she drinks the flowing water and doesn't try to spill what's in the bowl (the older cat drinks from the bowl part). However, it hums. At times the low hum drives me up the wall. I figured out it's the lid that makes the noise, not the pump. Today I went outside and found those stones in an attempt to quiet it. They didn't do the trick.

The second photo, though not from today is also something I heard. She's a very noisy drinker. I captured this not long after we got the fountain. Today when I tried to snap a picture she refused to cooperate. She'd stop and look at me and tell me she wasn't thirsty anymore. ? I did hear her drinking today though.

petfountainheard.jpg

waterfountainstream.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Not a photo but a video. My girls bought me these wind chimes for Mother’s day and it’s an unseasonably cool breezy day. I love these chimes because they’re not clangy. They’re actually chimes rather than just metal rods banging in the breeze. 

55396329736__97BABD0D-F08F-4B22-BD72-0CF235ADDF03.MOV

My computer won't let me just view it without saving it to my hard drive. Did anyone else experience this?

What I heard today....photo recreation...original was super funny but in the middle of Mass.  

We got leis as visitors at Mass.  DS was trying to hear the ocean in the shells.  The funny part is DS is deaf.  He was holding the shell to his ear and not his cochlear implant processor so even if there had been a sound he wouldn’t have heard it. 

6FAD5B5D-FF67-4A6D-9A2F-E007793580A5.jpeg

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

Hope your power comes back on soon!

Me too! I’m just glad it’s been in the 70’s the past few days. I’m also thankful that all we are dealing with is no power, it could have been much worse. 

I know this is a terribly blurry photo. Something I heard today -- ds gaming online with his friends -- lots of talking, laughing, clicking of keyboard keys, etc...

IMG_3700.JPG.413a15fbdeddd7b89264e31a93a008d6.JPG

I was going to post this one yesterday (a favorite thing), kind of as a joke, but not really. My dishwasher. My theory is that if something can't go into the dishwasher or washing machine, I probably don't want to own it. Lol. It could also go for something I've heard today; even though it's incredibly quiet, it's running now & I can hear it.

IMG_3696.JPG.dc449d38e5dac6e67813d20760e202c4.JPG

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

My dishwasher's so loud that we can't hear the TV in the next room if it's running!

I purposely chose that dishwasher for its low noise output. My senses often feel maxed out -- things are too noisy, too bright, too smelly, etc. My family has always said I have a dog's hearing & a bloodhound's nose. My sister has always told me that if she wins the lottery, she will buy me a sensory deprivation chamber. Lol.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

My dishwasher's so loud that we can't hear the TV in the next room if it's running!

Our old dishwasher was like that. I would wait to set it until we were going to bed so we would be able to watch tv. Our newer one is so quiet and it's wonderful! When we first got it I would check to see if it was actually running. I found out dh did the same thing. We just couldn't believe it would be so quiet. ? 

• Like 2

Surprise!

I've said before that I married late and am an older mom. We had given up and I was just beginning to accept that I wouldn't have a bio child. In January 1997 I thought the symptoms I was experiencing were early menopause, not early pregnancy. This young man, who will turn 21 on Labor Day, was the best surprise I've ever received.

21231242_10159115451520447_6285714269697405724_n.jpg

22552338_10159323357915447_5512632879330313149_n.jpg

21231239_10159115451790447_2832162045585548475_n.jpg

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Stacia said:

I know this is a terribly blurry photo. Something I heard today -- ds gaming online with his friends -- lots of talking, laughing, clicking of keyboard keys, etc...

My guy is older than yours but I still hear those sounds of fun coming from his room. He has a decent group of gaming friends, and there are a lot worse ways for a young man his age to spend leisure time. 

• Like 1

My surprise. Lucy our Great Pyrenees dog. I knew we were going to get the dog, but not being a dog person, I was ambivalent. What took me by surprise is how much I LOVED the dog! And most dogs of this breed have the sweet mellow nature that I just enjoy so much. We’ve had a total of four and they were all great dogs. 

DDEE072A-53DF-4509-9918-2A3805505A2A.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Our area was out for a few days during the winter and it felt like a month. I’ve not been that miserable in a long time, yet all the while shaking my head at the length of time the people of Puerto Rico have gone without. 

We have been so lucky, we have had below normal temps and humidity so it’s been relatively comfortable. My friends have power so we’ve been able to shower there. Another friend lent us a generator so we can keep the fridge and deep freeze plugged in and I’ve been able to use my keurig in the mornings. 

Some people around town have really been whining. I keep thinking about how much worse we could have it, it wasn’t an ice storm, hurricane, or tornado. It isn’t -20 or 115 outside. We all still have running water. All the surrounding areas have power. The churches and community center have offered free hot meals and showers and haven’t been so overwhelmed they run out of supplies. 

Ok, the other thought I had about today's prompt concerns my dd's cat. Dd adopted her kitten from a rescue last August. She was small with slightly long hair. She's morphed quite a bit in a year's time.... (Again, I apologize for the low quality of some of the photos. Some were taken on an old phone.)

From this cute tiny girl...

IMG_2508.JPG.b36f05c4ed219005d96220cc7bb3d8c6.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG.10523d3d87e26408f5c4fb47d47bdc43.JPG

To getting bigger than our white cat (who had been our largest cat) & very, very furry...

IMG_3447.JPG.03e7b54407d04b08442f68dd26837e95.JPG

To this... (yes, this is an extremely unflattering photo of her as she sprawls out in a computer case)...

IMG950623.thumb.jpg.3dbd5c8bc436f1f4daa930a484512368.jpg

Surprise!

We think we may have ended up with a honey badger or bear instead of a cat. Lol.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Surprise!

I was sitting outside reading when our power came back on!  I know those of you in hurricane areas deal with way worse, but in my entire life I have never* not had power for more than a couple hours. This was just over three days and I realized that it wasn’t awful but I’m also not really prepared for a natural disaster. 

96F6307D-5C1B-4FE9-A14E-FE0BAEDFAF8C.thumb.jpeg.be7ed63b2301189ec4e2f0ddd3c87f0e.jpeg

* There was an ice storm over a decade ago that took out the power in our duplex for 5 days. However, we were house sitting across town at a house that had power so weren’t put out at all. 

• Like 7

Surprise!

I took this picture because DS11 (and I) grilled rockfish. First time cooking and eating, so it seemed to fit the photo prompt.

Turns out the surprise was in the “sweet” peppers in the garden. When cooked, you get a mouthful of surprisingly spicy spicy pepper juice!

731AD3F9-3C40-49C3-A63D-B6BD0B702BC4.jpeg

• Like 6

I’m behind. Here is what rain in the desert looks like for dirty, six of us getting ready to be doused into the water at Splash Mountain for clean, and then my lock screen photo for surprise.

In 2016, between July and November one of our teens had a mental health crisis, our house burned up, Trump was elected, and one of the other girls was chosen to be on the cover of an international magazine. We suddenly needed fly to overseas and to LA while trying to do Thanksgiving and Christmas for 12 at our house.  I remember feeling like if I had one more surprise I might have a stroke. I put this photo my daughter took of her baby sister on my lock screen to remind me that no matter what happens, we survived 2016, lol

FBFDC8E8-C529-46D7-A706-F49A5E71D839.jpeg

1DB46213-9914-41AB-AEE3-E9532D5291C6.jpeg

AE5CBFC4-DD5C-4380-AE4F-F3BD4F1DA358.jpeg

• Like 7

Growing.  About 14 years ago we moved to our "new house" and middle kid (youngest at the time) turned a year old a few months later.  I took a picture of DH and DS next to the tree we planted a tree in the front yard shortly after we moved in.  I got a picture of the same kid last Halloween dressed as Green Arrow by the same tree.  Both of them have grown a lot.  DS is now over 6' tall.

DSC00060_c.JPG

DSC01771.JPG

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

That’s a great log-ride picture! I’d have that one hanging on a wall.

Can you believe we didn’t buy it?? I don’t know why. I took a photo of it so I could decide later and never got around to purchasing it.