Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

We bought a vehicle from a vending machine. Yes, we did.

We bought a minivan from a Carvana vending machine in San Antonio.  We go get it next weekend and will watch it lower down the elevators when we insert our token.  Novel, eh? I hope it works out for us.  We don't exactly live in a place where car buying is easy. 

20180721_120256.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

Will you please take a video? I would really like to see that. We looked at Carvana last year, but they didn’t have what we wanted. 

• Like 8

I have passed by that vending machine a number of times in the past few years, but I had not heard anyone who had actually used it!  That is exciting!

• Like 3

This seems like such a fun way to make  what can be a really stressful purchase.  I look forward to hearing more!

• Like 2

We recently got one in our area and saw another on a trip last week. Entertaining novelty at minimum. Hope you enjoy your new ride!

• Like 2

My dh now wants to buy a car this way just because it's cool and techy.  He would have to travel to get to one and then noticed the $200 rebate for flying!  Very cool!

• Like 2

When I watch TV it is a channel from the USA. I haven't watched recently, but many times I saw Carvana commercials where you order the car online and they deliver to your house on a truck.  Enjoy your new car!

• Like 1

I've never even heard of that, they have nothing like that around here, very neat. You HAVE to take a video to share!

• Like 2

I looked at that when we were buying our last car.  We ended up not doing it, but we looked into it.

And there is now one in my city.  I smile every time I drive by.  A huge glass tower filled with cars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So funny! You can't get cold ice cream, but you have a vending machine for cars! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have never heard of this--very cool! Love this quote from their site:

If for any reason you decide the car isn't right for you, we will take it back, free of awkwardness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How cool! I hope it works out well for you. According to  outside reviews, the BBB, etc, people either love them or totally hate them. Not much in between.

• Like 2

So...but...do you get to test drive it? Touch it before you buy it? Kick the tires?  ?

• Like 2

I'm picturing this like the mystery vending machine in Seattle, for that extra dose of potential amazing.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Liz CA said:

So...but...do you get to test drive it? Touch it before you buy it? Kick the tires?  ?

We get a one-hour test drive along with a seven-day "I changed my mind" option. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

How cool! I hope it works out well for you. According to  outside reviews, the BBB, etc, people either love them or totally hate them. Not much in between.

I noticed that too when I was researching.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out well for us and we are in the "love it" crowd.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, Kinsa said:

We get a one-hour test drive along with a seven-day "I changed my mind" option. 

The 7 day I changed my mind option is awesome...

Questions: Is that a Used or New car?

Will you be "Live Streaming" the transaction on Facebook or another web site that is available to the public?  I hope so!  (Please tell us where we can watch and at what time CDT)

Much good luck with this exciting transaction and enjoy your new car!

I remember car elevator parking towers in Tokyo; I joked that you could get anything from a vending machine in Japan.

Guess it's real now.

• Like 3

I love it! Carvana fascinates me. I drive right past one when I take my son to rowing 3x a week. I would seriously love to see a video of this!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lanny said:

The 7 day I changed my mind option is awesome...

Questions: Is that a Used or New car?

Will you be "Live Streaming" the transaction on Facebook or another web site that is available to the public?  I hope so!  (Please tell us where we can watch and at what time CDT)

Much good luck with this exciting transaction and enjoy your new car!

I could be wrong, but I think all of Carvana's cars are gently used.  We are buying a 1-yr old minivan with <7000 miles on it.

I couldn't live stream to save my life.  LOL! I plan to post a video once it is done. 

• Like 7

Forgot to mention that we get three months of free maintenance at any ASE certified mechanic if a problem is found after we buy it. 

• Like 5

I'm super curious why and how these even came about?  Like is real estate tight in locations where these exist?  Or is it purely a novelty item as an advertising gimmick?

We've had mixed luck with used vehicles anyway, so I doubt we'd buy a car this way.  We decided we will never buy another used vehicle via a 3rd party after a couple lemons.  But hope it goes great for you!  Since it such a newish vehicle, I'm sure it's great.  It's still under warranty anyway!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kinsa said:

I could be wrong, but I think all of Carvana's cars are gently used.  We are buying a 1-yr old minivan with <7000 miles on it.

I couldn't live stream to save my life.  LOL! I plan to post a video once it is done. 

Sounds great to me.  I wouldn't know how to "Live Stream" either, but I know that people do it all the time. Another thing to learn.

Fingers crossed that everything will go perfectly and that you will love your new mini van!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I'm super curious why and how these even came about?  Like is real estate tight in locations where these exist?  Or is it purely a novelty item as an advertising gimmick?

We've had mixed luck with used vehicles anyway, so I doubt we'd buy a car this way.  We decided we will never buy another used vehicle via a 3rd party after a couple lemons.  But hope it goes great for you!  Since it such a newish vehicle, I'm sure it's great.  It's still under warranty anyway!

This is what I don’t understand as well. Honestly, it sounds like one of those penny stock investments your BIL’s neighbor’s best friend tells you about. “You gotta get in on the ground floor of this amazing new car sales concept! You will watch your shares grow from pennies to, like, Amazon-sized!” ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Karen had written that they would go to get the car this weekend. It is Saturday at 1044 A.M. here and in San Antonio. I suspect they are doing the transaction now or sometime later today.

I am also wondering, if the cars are slightly used (7000 miles) if the original factory warranty transfers to the new owner?

Wishing that Karen and her DH could Live Stream this, but if they upload a Video later, that will be great.

As I wrote, I had seen, many times, Carvana commercials on a channel from the USA, but that was for ordering online and then they bring the car to your house on a truck and deliver it to you. I had assumed, when I watched the TV commercials, those were Brand New cars, but it is very possible that I assumed incorrectly...

Some of the things I remember from that Carvana commercial, which may ring a bell with anyone who has ever purchased a Brand New car from a dealer in the USA:  (1) "Is this the same car that we talked about?" (2) "What is this Dealer Preparation Fee?"  (They also have other games that they play to increase their Profit)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I think Karen had written that they would go to get the car this weekend. It is Saturday at 1044 A.M. here and in San Antonio. I suspect they are doing the transaction now or sometime later today.

I am also wondering, if the cars are slightly used (7000 miles) if the original factory warranty transfers to the new owner?

Wishing that Karen and her DH could Live Stream this, but if they upload a Video later, that will be great.

As I wrote, I had seen, many times, Carvana commercials on a channel from the USA, but that was for ordering online and then they bring the car to your house on a truck and deliver it to you. I had assumed, when I watched the TV commercials, those were Brand New cars, but it is very possible that I assumed incorrectly...

Some of the things I remember from that Carvana commercial, which may ring a bell with anyone who has ever purchased a Brand New car from a dealer in the USA:  (1) "Is this the same car that we talked about?" (2) "What is this Dealer Preparation Fee?"  (They also have other games that they play to increase their Profit)

I don’t know the answers to all of your questions, but with a quick google of Carvana, I do see that they only sell used cars. 

I also really hope that Karen posts a video for us to watch! I had never heard of this before this thread and it is now on our list of things to research when we are ready to replace my van (soon!!). 

• Like 2

We bought a used car on eBay years ago. It worked out great! It was so exciting to meet the truck to pick it up. It was the best little red Volvo coupe, and I LOVED it -- we only got rid of it after dd was born because it didn't have enough room in the back seat.

This looks totally cool and I hope it goes well for you!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

We bought a used car on eBay years ago. It worked out great! It was so exciting to meet the truck to pick it up. It was the best little red Volvo coupe, and I LOVED it -- we only got rid of it after dd was born because it didn't have enough room in the back seat.

This looks totally cool and I hope it goes well for you!

A late dear friend bought a lot of things on eBay,  including approximately 6 vehicles. One of the vehicles he bought on eBay was for a friend.  On one of his trips to Colombia to visit us, when we had horrible Internet service, he showed me how to use eBay. Sniping manually was how he did it in those days.  We bought a wonderful exercise machine for my wife, which she'd seen in a million "informercials" on eBay when he was here and they shipped it to Miami and then we had it Forwarded to our house. My wife said it was better than the commercials claimed.

One of the vehicles he bought on eBay was from someone in Alabama (he lived in Texas) and he went down there to get it.  Being a retired airline employee helped with that trip.

• Like 1

A few pictures (above). My video exceeds the maximum size allowed, so I can't show that to you. Sorry!

I'm dumbfounded over how easy this was.  We drove up, inserted the token they gave us, out came the van into "Bay #4"... we signed some papers that were already printed and ready.... the hardest part was transferring our stuff from one vehicle into another. 

• Like 8

On 7/27/2018 at 2:19 PM, FuzzyCatz said:

I can think of a couple reasons why this would be better than a car lot. One is real estate.  It takes a much smaller amount of land to do this than a sprawling car lot would take.  Another reason is that this would protect the cars from vandalism, hail damage, etc. And third, I'm sure the novelty of it doesn't hurt sales.  

• Like 3

Awesome Karen!  A very lLarge coin but it is a very large vending machine.  Please upload your video to YouTube when you can and give us the link!

Did they take your old vehicle as a trade in or will you drive 2 cars back to BBNP?

Godspeed

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

Awesome Karen!  A very lLarge coin but it is a very large vending machine.  Please upload your video to YouTube when you can and give us the link!

Did they take your old vehicle as a trade in or will you drive 2 cars back to BBNP?

Godspeed

They took our old 15pax van as a trade in.  They guaranteed a price to us before we got there, sight unseen, and according to Kelley Blue Book they offered a very fair price. Overall, I've been very pleased with the whole experience!

• Like 9