Menu

I’m annoyed by what I view as an unnecessary purchase

Ginevra

6 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

We used to live in a secluded house. Long, hidden driveway, lots of trees, 4-1/2 acres with a wildlife refuge that backed up to our property on 2 sides. However, here in Florida you need to cover your windows no matter where you live. That is, unless you want your house to be hot most of the year and/or you're okay with astronomical electric bills.

I can imagine! If I lived somewhere hot, I would definitely have window coverings. My hatred of curtains and blinds pales in comparison to my hatred of being uncomfortably hot!

• Like 1

I vacuum my blinds with the upholstery brush attachment.  Dust gone, much easier than running a duster between each blind.  I have also seen women on YouTube Clean With Me type videos that wrap kitchen tongs with microfiber towels and attach them with rubber bands.  That always seemed more difficult to me than vacuuming.

In fact, I do most difficult dusting tasks with that brush.  Like baseboards and vents. I bought a cordless vacuum for touch up tasks like this; it's a knockoff of that expensive Dyson that everyone on YouTube has. It's not powerful enough to get rid of my main vacuum, but makes dusting and getting random dog hair dust bunnies off the hardwood floor super fast. I sometimes assign kids the chore of sweeping but I rarely do it myself anymore, just get up what's visible once a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

but con't get curtains dusty, too? 

When I have known families with severe dust allergies, they have as little fabric in decorating as possible. So, unlikely to have curtains or fabric blinds. Maybe a roller shade to pull down for privacy. 

18 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I loved it.  I bought it on vacation, otherwise I probably wouldn't have spent so much.  My current purse is a bag that DH bought for me when he was on a work trip to mexico.  I get a lot of compliments, but I actually don't like it quite as much as that one (I love Laurel Burch stuff....cause like you said........CATS!)  I might ask for this one again for Christmas.  

Completely off topic, but I have 2 pair of Laurel Burch earrings my friend gave me way back in the '80's. I never wear them, likely because they're orange and I don't wear orange. Maybe she didn't wear orange either and that's why she gave them to me.

We are in the boonies with no close neighbors but we have black-out/insulating curtains on all the windows because they are old windows that you can feel the wind through in the winter.  The curtains cut down on the heat loss.  I do have to take them down soon and wash them.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I vacuum my blinds with the upholstery brush attachment.  Dust gone, much easier than running a duster between each blind. 

Maybe it's the cheap quality of my blinds, but that doesn't work. It's like the dust really sticks to them and short of putting them in the tub or on the driveway to hose them off (my mom used to do both of those with the old metal Venetian blinds), the dust doesn't come off. Some does. Most stays behind.

• Sad 1

Just now, Lady Florida. said:

Maybe it's the cheap quality of my blinds, but that doesn't work. It's like the dust really sticks to them and short of putting them in the tub or on the driveway to hose them off (my mom used to do both of those with the old metal Venetian blinds), the dust doesn't come off. Some does. Most stays behind.

I did used to have some blinds like that.  I'd take them down and wash them in the tub.  They were a pain.  I bought cellular blinds for this house because of the energy saving aspect, and the vacuum works great.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

What do you use to carry around a mini-pharmacy of GI meds if you don’t have a purse (or tote or bag or whatever)?  If I ever quit carrying a purse, I want one of those big overcoats like fake watch salesmen, but lined with Tums and Zantac and Pepto tablets.

”Psst.  Hey.  You want some Rolaids?  I’ve got some, but it’ll cost ya.”

It’ll look great with the fake glasses and mustache to avoid the facial recognition cameras.

I had a winter coat with enormous pockets. I was gloriously hands-free for several years. I "lost" things in those pockets, but I always had what I needed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katy said:

I did used to have some blinds like that.  I'd take them down and wash them in the tub.  They were a pain.  I bought cellular blinds for this house because of the energy saving aspect, and the vacuum works great.

When my blinds get taken down, it's because I'm putting up new blinds. I'm either very non-frugal on this point or very lax on cleanliness. Possibly both. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

So weird...I remember this so vividly from my childhood. “Spring cleaning” always meant those blinds being pulled down, scrubbed in the tub, laid out on the lawn and dried in the sunshine. What a horrid process! I don’t recall precisely when the metal blinds ceased to be a thing, but I strongly suspect it was either after some ten-hour cleaning session or it was the next spring, as my mom looked at the cobwebby, dirty blinds and thought, “Screw that!” 

• Like 2