Menu

Favorite Literature Guides

sweetpea3829

Favorite lit guides?  Primarily middle school but...anything's fine.  Must must must have strong discussion questions.  Not just regurgitate back, but actual discussion questions.  Must focus on literary analysis.  I don't care what they have for composition, vocabulary, etc.  It's the discussions I'm looking for (without having to do a ton of legwork as I have done in years past.  

I don't like to do formal literature study with students under about grade 7 (grade 6 if they are advanced and "into"), so I can't help you with elementary age guides. A few that we found helpful with discussion in the late middle school/high school years:

free online:
Glencoe Literature Library (secular) -- middle/high school
Penguin Teacher Guides (secular) -- high school/college
Bibliomania Study Guides (secular) -- high school/college

for a fee:
Garlic Press Publishers: Discovering Literature: Challenger level guides (secular) -- high school
Portals to Literature (secular) -- high school; written for classroom, so need to a fair amount of adapting
Progeny Press high school guides (Christian) -- just SOME of the high school guides; some guides are very weak
The Great Books guides (Christian) -- not a lit. guide, but a guided worldview exploration, which is nice for a change; SOME, not all
Parallel Shakespeare (secular) -- the side-by-side original text and modern translation + teacher guide + student workbook

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 7:25 PM, Lori D. said:

I don't like to do formal literature study with students under about grade 7 (grade 6 if they are advanced and "into"), so I can't help you with elementary age guides. A few that we found helpful with discussion in the late middle school/high school years:

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I was wondering if you do a literature study for the younger grades, and if you do, what does it look like? Up until now, I have just given my DD10 books to read and digest without any need to discuss or create output. I've been wondering if I should be expecting more and what that more should look like.