Menu

Has anyone worked a factory job?

ksr5377

Due to a variety of circumstances, our finances have been pretty tight the last few months and as much as we're scrimping and trying to keep to our bare bones budget, it would technically be a lot easier if I was able to bring in some income.  I still have little ones at home so day shifts don't really work for me.  We live in a rural area with quite a bit of industry around and it seems like every factory is hiring for significantly higher pay than I would make working retail evenings.  There are some repairs around the house and farm that we are trying to save for and I'm thinking about the possibility of applying for a 2nd shift job at one of these places with the mindset of making a specific amount of money.  For example, save $5000 in 5 months or something like that.  I know that I won't love the work necessarily and if we decide that it's really going to be necessary for me to work full time for an extended time I will probably try to find something in my old field that would be a day shift....but for now I'm seriously considering this option.  Has anyone ever done something like it?  

• Like 1

I have not, but both of my parents worked in an auto factory for their entire careers. I would not want to go into factory work as a 40 something, overweight, out-of-shape woman - it's hard on the body. They both ended up with health problems related to their jobs. If you're only looking for a short time, it might be ok, but it's probably going to be difficult physically unless you're in great shape or a lot younger than me. Weird side issue: my mom always needed new clothes because the sparks burned holes in all of her shirts.

My brother worked various factory jobs for a while when he was younger; some were ok, some were horrendous. One job at a toy company was boring but easy - he even had a stool to sit on. He also worked making shopping carts for a while, and his arms were always burnt from the wrist to the elbow from the hot metal.

I don't want to be a downer, but I don't think I could handle most of the factory jobs my family has worked. Especially because at most places seniority is how you get the "cush jobs"; newbies get the jobs no one else wants to do.

I have an engineering background and worked *in* or *around* factories for many years, although not in a factory job.

Factory jobs are tedious and yet require a lot of concentration--they are by no means mindless.  But if I were in your shoes I would go for it.  I would expect to make good money, to get into a little better physical shape, and to develop my resume for call backs.  Those are all wins.  

You are fortunate that those kinds of jobs are available near you.  That has become very uncommon where I live, and almost unheard of where DH is from.

• Like 4

I have a homeschooling friend who did for a while when she was high school or college age.

She said that she became friends with the workers around her and it actually was really fun, she doesn't like repetitive tasks normally, but said they all talked and played funny practical jokes on one another and that was the best part of the job.  She said it was a really interesting mix of people and also a range of ages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fifiruth said:

You’ve been raising children, home educating those children, and cleaning the house. You certainly know all about tedious repetition already, so I don’t think that a factory job is going to bother you all that much, especially when you start seeing the paychecks. 

Good one!!  

Yep. And if needed to I would again. 

It would be hard for anyone to say what a factory job would be like. There are many types of factories. In general, there are repetitive actions which will have physical consequences over time, but most factory jobs I've done are not heavily physical. They do take concentration (at least at first) and there can be boredom. Go for it! The worst that can happen is it isn't for you and you quit. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!  I'm happy there haven't been any ultimate horror stories shared ?  As I said before if it starts to look like I really do need to be working F/T again then we'll have to seriously look at putting the children in school and me having a 9-5 job again.  I know I wouldn't want to work in a factory for years and years.  However, for right now we are hoping that a little boost to our income, even if temporary, will help us to stop spinning our wheels so much.  We were initially thinking I would get something P/T a few nights a week, maybe retail or waiting tables.  Then when I started looking through the want ads I kept coming across these postings for 2nd shift entry-level factory jobs paying $15 or more an hour.  Not an amazing amount of money, but we're in a low COL area so it would make a big difference, even if only for a few months.  I have been asking around locally and the story I keep getting is that companies have a hard time finding new hires that will pass the drug test. ?  

• Like 1

"Factory job" is pretty broad. My dh works for an aluminum manufacturing company and it's definitely not a tedious, stand in one place and do the same thing all day kind of job. He has to program a range of machines for a broad variety of different things, then run the actual job, and it requires an insane amount of learning. Not to mention that because they extrude aluminum on site, the temp in there averages around a hundred degrees at any given time. Their biggest problem keeping employees isn't because people fail the drug test, but because between the physical and mental strain, not everyone can even do the work. We're in a fairly low COL area too, and it pays a decent middle class income, but he often puts in sixty hour weeks. The toll it takes on your body is no joke. 

I don't know what kind of factories you have where you live, but manufacturing now is often highly technical and a lot of hard physical labor. It isn't something I'd want to do for just a few months to earn some extra cash, but again, that varies by workplace.

• Like 1

My DH did. I think they hire via some sort of placement agencies meaning you’re not permanent with benefits right off the gate—but if you don’t need benefits that might not be a problem. There are shifts but again you may not get your preference at the beginning 

Dh works in manufacturing and generally likes it. He's not the office job sort. He worked in auto manufacturing for nearly 10 years before the industry here died, that was a dirty job and repetitive. Now he works in a chocolate factory and that is better, he has a lot more job variety and autonomy, and yes an obscene amount of free chocolate. He worked some other places in between. Manufacturing pays quite well here, as far as unskilled labour goes. I don't know how it works in the US, but here (aus) you can get bonus pay for doing casual/on call, night shifts and/or hazard type pay. For example, when he worked in logistics - pick packing - he worked with cold storage items so the per hour pay was better. He actually really enjoyed that job.

Definitely try and ask around, the culture of the place can make a big difference in job satisfaction. I agree that turn over can be high, we find that management can be really hit or miss. Being reliable is a huge advantage. 

• Like 1

I had a factory job the summer before I went to college. The work wasn't difficult, but it was repetitive and we weren't allowed to talk to those we were working near.  Also it was not a clean environment, which wasn't good for my allergies. I'd ask around about that aspect if I were in your shoes.

It paid several dollars more an hour than any other summer job I could have had at the time, so in that respect it worked out well for short term. 

I worked in a (food) factory for several years, but not on the floor. There are some food (chicken processing, for example) plants around where I live now & they aren't great jobs long term. (The only people I know who have worked there have quit after a couple of years because they are continually sick. I don't know why, but several separate people have told me that is why they quit. The money is pretty good.)

I know several people including my brother who have picked up night jobs restocking shelves for large retailers. It isn't the greatest job, but it brings in some money on the off-shifts.

As previous posters have indicated, there are LOTS of different types of factory jobs. Good luck to you!!

I worked in a factory making tear gas grenades one summer in college, and also a couple of jobs doing electronics assembly.  I agree with those who say that your type of work environment makes a big difference, especially the people. I recommend trying your best to be positive and to get along with everyone, and to avoid gossip and to let petty things go. In all the factory jobs I worked there was quite a lot of that sort of thing.

I have worked in two factories (on production).  I enjoyed factory work more than most of my other jobs.  I would give it a try.

It's true that there can be some childishness in some workers, but you don't have to participate in it.

I did in college one summer making little plastic pieces that go inside appliances. The pay was great for short term work. The environment was ok.

dh is a manager at a factory & has all sorts of trouble with the employees, but the work pays well for the manufacturing staff.

As others have said, individual jobs vary tremendously.  Working in an electronics factory is going to be completely different than working in a foundry.  There is no harm in giving it a go and seeing how it goes. 

You can certainly give it a try!  Then if you don't like it, you can quit.  A relative of mine worked at one for awhile so he could make ends meet when he first moved to the U.S.  He only worked there a few months, but actually kind of enjoyed it.  It wasn't a heavy-lifting job.  They sat around a table and put together tiny parts.  They somehow had time to joke around and talk and it became a nice little community for him, even just for a few months.  So you never know!

A couple of my friends here were trying to earn a little extra money, and we live in a smaller rural community too.  What they ended up doing was going to group homes (there are several in our town and they seem to be always hiring) and offer to work their night shift.  These were homes for adults with special needs.  Generally working the night shift just involves sleeping.  Sure, you have to get up occasionally and help with middle-of-the-night needs, but mostly you're there in case of an emergency.  It worked out perfectly for my friends to do that.  They usually did it about three nights/week plus maybe one weekend/month, and were home for breakfast.

• Like 1

I've worked in a factory, but as an Engineer, although I was on the floor all the time.   They are all different, but I;d recommend that one.  It was high-tech manufacturing.  I still think fondly of many of the people on the floor.  People would start something, and then have to wait for it to be done, ...  so there was lots of time to talk.  You really got to know people.  

I'm not one for pranks, but I thought this one was a hoot.   There was this muscle-bound guy that would without realizing it start singing any song he heard.  So, people would walk behind him signing that song from the purple dinosaur that parents loved to hate, "I love you.  You Love Me.  ..."   Then wait for him to sing that as he walked around the floor.  

If I could go back in time, I would get a job at a place like that as a college student.  

I've never worked in a factory, and you really didn't ask for alternatives, but if it's an option, you might want to consider newspaper delivery.  I started doing it in May 2017, and there is money to be made there.  I get up every day at 2:30 am, go pick up my papers, prep them, deliver them, and then I am back home 2-3 hours later.  Sunday and Thursday it takes me closer to 3 hours, but most days it's closer to 2.    When I get back home I crawl back into bed for a few more hours of sleep before starting my day.  

The negative parts.  It's every day.  Literally, every single day- holiday, blizzard, storming,etc.  Though, I can request a sub anytime I want to take days off.  (I generally don't except for when we're going to be gone, I'm picky and like my customers to have their papers.)   I also have a difficult time doing activities in the evening that have me out later than 9 pm.   It's putting wear and tear on my car, which may be a concern as well. 

Despite those things, I actually really like it and when I figure out the hourly rate for the time I put in, I make over $12 an hour- much more in December when all the customers are giving generous holiday tips.  I paid for a very nice Christmas last year with just my tips- it was amazing!  The actual work and time involved affects no one, ever.  My kids aren't going to need a ride to an activity between 2-5 am!  My church activities aren't taking place between those hours, and when my DH is home he frequently is getting up for the day when I'm crawling into bed so I get to make him coffee and pass him any reminders for the day.  It took me a while to adjust to the new schedule, but once I figured it out I settled in and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  It's been a real blessing for our family to have that extra income.

• Like 1