Menu

Instant pot chicken breast recipe needed

Jen500

25 minutes ago, tbog said:

Chicken (2-3 breasts), a jar of salsa, taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water on high for 20 minutes makes a really easy chicken taco filling. Just shred after cooking. We do our BBQ shredded chicken in ours too. Just be sure to add some water in too because BBQ sauce is too thick. For some reason, I've gone BBQ with high fructose corn syrup is worse about that in the pressure cooker. 

Hmm I am a bit dense but which cooking program button do you use for this?

Poultry

Slow Cook 

Pressure cook

?

1 hour ago, Jen500 said:

Hmm I am a bit dense but which cooking program button do you use for this?

Poultry

Slow Cook 

Pressure cook

?

I think 20 minutes that the previous poster mentioned is too high.  I would use the poultry setting, which I think is 12 minutes or maybe 15.  I usually 8 minutes (on high pressure) when I cook cook my boneless, chicken breasts.  However, I halve my breasts before cooking them, so that maybe why they take less time to cook.  Plus, even if the chicken isn’t all the way done, I can sauté them if needed.  I like my chicken moist, not dry.  

• Like 1

This is what I do:

4 bonless chicken breasts

1 cup chicken broth (I use low sodium)

minced garlic to taste (about a tsp to start....more if you want it garlicy)

1 tsp (total) dried spices of your choice (I use a combo of sage, rosemary, parsley, thyme [you can use any mixed seasoning you like])

about 1/4 tsp pepper

high pressure 8 minutes, then natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release

I serve with rice and a green salad or veggie. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HollyDay said:

This is what I do:

4 bonless chicken breasts

1 cup chicken broth (I use low sodium)

minced garlic to taste (about a tsp to start....more if you want it garlicy)

1 tsp (total) dried spices of your choice (I use a combo of sage, rosemary, parsley, thyme [you can use any mixed seasoning you like])

about 1/4 tsp pepper

high pressure 8 minutes, then natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release

I serve with rice and a green salad or veggie. 

Frozen or thawed/fresh chicken?  Do you use the rack thing in the inside or just cook the chicken in the liquid?  And what's the outside texture of the chicken like?

I have a kid that will eat chicken, but only if it is completely bland, tasteless, and uniform in appearance (this child also eats seasoned beef and salmon, and several sauces/dressings, so I don't know what's up with his chicken issues).  I also bought a 6qt IP on Prime Day and hoping that I can use it to make "boring chicken" in it while grilling "exciting chicken" outdoors.

• Like 1

For boring chicken you can put chicken (I use a whole one)  up on a rack with water down below it.  My ds likes extremely over cooked chicken, almost falling apart, or actually falling apart, so I am not sure how long for just a breast. I go for 30 min from fresh not frozen on high pressure poultry, minimum for boring and over cooked. 

I also put salt and pepper on the chicken, but maybe you want nothing on it for super boring. 

One ends up with white cooked chicken.  For us some gets eaten that way and some used in other dishes  To brown it, it can be cooked less time and then briefly put in broiler  

And down below, the finished chicken in IP, at least with the whole chicken with skin, I end up with a very good start to chicken soup from the drippings that have mingled with the water. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

Frozen or thawed/fresh chicken?  Do you use the rack thing in the inside or just cook the chicken in the liquid?  And what's the outside texture of the chicken like?

I have a kid that will eat chicken, but only if it is completely bland, tasteless, and uniform in appearance (this child also eats seasoned beef and salmon, and several sauces/dressings, so I don't know what's up with his chicken issues).  I also bought a 6qt IP on Prime Day and hoping that I can use it to make "boring chicken" in it while grilling "exciting chicken" outdoors.

I do not use a rack. Chicken comes out very tender and flavorful. 

I've never used frozen chicken, but my IRL gf does.  She extends cooking time to 10-15 min (depending upon size of chicken breasts) and does natural release.  Again, I've not done it this way so I can't comment from personal experience.  I suppose you should check the temperature to make sure they are done. Also, I'd google IP frozen chicken breasts and see how to calculate the time based on size or weight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I do not use a rack. Chicken comes out very tender and flavorful. 

I've never used frozen chicken, but my IRL gf does.  She extends cooking time to 10-15 min (depending upon size of chicken breasts) and does natural release.  Again, I've not done it this way so I can't comment from personal experience.  I suppose you should check the temperature to make sure they are done. Also, I'd google IP frozen chicken breasts and see how to calculate the time based on size or weight

The time doesn’t change whether fresh or frozen.  The pressure cooker will automatically adjust because it will take longer for the frozen chicken to come to pressure.

11 hours ago, school17777 said:

The time doesn’t change whether fresh or frozen.  The pressure cooker will automatically adjust because it will take longer for the frozen chicken to come to pressure.

Wow!!  That is really good to know!!!  I've never done frozen because I usually grill frozen chichen breasts. 

What about natural release vs quick release?  I'm confused about when to do what.....

Use quick release when you need to get to the food quickly or you don’t want the food to cook any longer than necessary.

I typically do a combination of both.  I release after a couple of minutes, unless it’s something like vegetables which I don’t want to cook any longer than necessary.

Somethings may spew liquid out if you quick release, so letting it sit a few minutes before releasing helps lessen that happening.

DS8 loved his “boring” IP chicken!  I put one large chicken breast on the rack insert, added a cup of water, and cooked on high pressure for 10 minutes.  No other seasoning.  I let it sit for 9-10 minutes while I mashed potatoes, then quick release.  It was a rather thick cut of meat and ended up just a tad underdone (164 after removing it from the IP, when paranoid me prefers to get it near 170).  Even though it was probably fine, I nuked it for a minute just to be safe, but next time I’ll try cutting the breast in half.

• Like 2

I make this recipe weekly, only I use breasts instead of thighs. https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-chicken-gyros/  I linked you to the video so that you can watch it being made. I have trained everyone 12 and over to make this recipe, and I'm working on teaching my 9 yo before school starts. Right now she is at the Costco meatballs + cup of water + 10 minutes level, so she's getting there.

It is *SO GOOD*.  Any chicken leftovers are used in salads later on in the week.  

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 11:37 AM, BarbecueMom said:

You can make almost any meat (even boring plain chicken breasts) in the instant pot as long as there is a cup of liquid (water, sauce, broth, whatever) for the pot to come to pressure.  I think you could absolutely put chicken + water in there and come out with nice boring chicken.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:11 PM, tbog said:

I've actually got a different brand, and I use a high pressure setting on mine. I'm pretty sure most electric pressure cooker use high pressure....the settings are more for determining cook time. This link may help:

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/instant-pot-duo-and-smartcooker/

Thanks for posting this link...I found a table explaining the buttons on my particular machine and it cleared up a lot of my confusion!