Menu

good gluten free bread recipe?

HollyDay

I need a really good gluten free "work horse" bread.  One that I can make regularly, use for sandwiches, toast, etc.  A mix is okay, but I'd also like a good recipe.  I used to grind my own wheat and make my own breads (sandwich breads, sourdoughs, donuts, muffins, waffles, etc.).  Now that 3 of the 4 of my household (myself included) cannot eat gluten, I need some recipes

I LOVE the recipes for Sandwich Bread and "Whole-Grain" Sandwich Bread from How Can It Be Gluten-Free Vol. 1 and 2 by America's Test Kitchen. Those cookbooks are my treasures and almost everything I cook comes from them now. The white sandwich bread uses a blend of white and brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch, and the whole grain version uses teff flour, milled golden flaxseed, sweet white rice flour, and tapioca starch. Both of them use psyllium husk to add body/thickness and they get some great height on the loaf. I'd just share the recipes but I don't want to get into trouble because they're not in public domain. Hopefully just listing the main ingredients is enough to let you know if it's something you'd be interested in! I think most libraries have ATK's books.

43 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

I LOVE the recipes for Sandwich Bread and "Whole-Grain" Sandwich Bread from How Can It Be Gluten-Free Vol. 1 and 2 by America's Test Kitchen. Those cookbooks are my treasures and almost everything I cook comes from them now. The white sandwich bread uses a blend of white and brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch, and the whole grain version uses teff flour, milled golden flaxseed, sweet white rice flour, and tapioca starch. Both of them use psyllium husk to add body/thickness and they get some great height on the loaf. I'd just share the recipes but I don't want to get into trouble because they're not in public domain. Hopefully just listing the main ingredients is enough to let you know if it's something you'd be interested in! I think most libraries have ATK's books.

Where do you buy the specialty ingredients?  I have not seen some teff flour in the store before.  Psyllium husk?  Where do you buy that?

Psyllium husk I got at Whole Foods, it's actually found in the natural remedies section because it's a naturally occurring alternative to Metamucil. You only need like 1-2 tablespoons of psyllium husk per loaf of bread. Teff flour and milled golden flaxseeds I got on Amazon--they sold them at wholefoods too I think, but cheaper online. You need about 5 cups of teff flour and 2.5 cups of flaxseed to make one large batch of the whole-grain flour blend, which would make about 5 loaves of bread.

Teff Flour

Flaxseed (there are other brands available on Amazon too, I just grabbed the first links I found)

Sweet white rice flour I've found cheap at Asian markets, also known as glutinous rice flour or mochiko/mochi flour.

The whole-grain bread is delicious when toasted with butter.

Pamela's mix is the best option taste-wise, but beware... it's mostly bean flours, and it will cause some gassy side effects for a few weeks while your gut adjusts if you don't already eat 3 servings of beans a day.

This bread is really good and sooooooo easy!  I use Cup 4 Cup flour.  I do use 1 1/2 teaspoons of Kosher salt instead of 1 teaspoon of salt.

I mix mine up before bed and let rise on the counter all night and then later the next afternoon will bake it.

Someone said they sprinkled Trader Joe's seasoning on the top of bread right before baking.  I think it was called Everything But The Bagel or something like that. 

http://nestingwithgrace.com/easiest-gluten-free-bread-with-the-best-gluten-free-flour/

• Like 1