Menu

US History ...music based?

So, I had everything planned out for US History for my history buff son.  A Hillsdale class, Bill Bennett’s three books, Zinn’s book, notebooking and writing assignments I compiled from suggestions I received here. 

And today DS asked if he can change it. He wants to read the books anyway. And I assume the Hillsdale class. And we are using Byline for English. 

But he also is a musician and wants to have his output be finding and learning to play / sing historical songs, and to write his own historical songs.  Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Would this work?

This kid also wants to start Spanish. So I have to look into that too.  Now. In July. I’ve been planning for months. Sigh 

thank you ? 

• Like 1

It seems to me he should still plan to write some papers for history, but song-writing about history and performing others' historical songs could be a neat project.  There are the classic American songs, such as those on the Wee Sing America CD (not that he should necessarily listen to that, as it's for little kids, but the song titles would give him a place to start researching period recordings or at least recordings made closer to the actual time).  Some much more recent history songs he may know, or should, would include songs by Johnny Horton ("Battle of New Orleans," "Sink the Bismark," etc.) and Gordon Lightfoot ("The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald").  I'm sure there are many others!  

• Like 2

Get America Singing would be a good place to start-it’s a collecfion of 100 pieces that multiple musical groups and surveys listed as the most significant in American music history. Place them in history, and you have a strong start to a study. 

Music as political satire and propaganda is interesting, too. Lots of that, too. 

• Like 1

Klmama

Yup, he was singing those exact songs for a family gathering the other night... which led to this whole revamp question.  He also mentioned taking historical poems and creating music for them... Also, something comparing the opposing voices of his materials. 

Thank you!

It's really a middle school curriculum, but I was struck by just how much music was explored in Prufrock Press's Exploring America series. We did the one about the 50's. They had picked a lot of great songs and asked kids to really analyze them. It wasn't always the obvious stuff either.

For example, it had students listen to a ton of different songs that were responses to the atomic bomb. Things like this: 

There were half a dozen songs like this. And then it had whole sections about listening to early 50's idealizations of romance in song and a bunch of protest music like "Little Boxes", plus a ton of stuff about the emergence of Rock and Roll... it was great stuff.

• Like 1

I wish I knew how to do links.  I have a bookmarked  thread from  WTM 2015 titled "American music history help?" by Dulce Domem that you may find useful.  I also have bookmarked a list from Wildwood Curriculum of songs by historical era.  Good luck with your plans!

LL

1 hour ago, LLucy said:

I wish I knew how to do links.  I have a bookmarked  thread from  WTM 2015 titled "American music history help?" by Dulce Domem that you may find useful.  I also have bookmarked a list from Wildwood Curriculum of songs by historical era.  Good luck with your plans!

LL

Thanks for sharing your suggestions!

As for linking, it's really easy.  When you are typing your response, look at the bar right above the text box.  You should see B I U S and then a little chain link.  Click that link.  Put the website URL you want to link to in the box indicted (just copy the address from your browser) and below type whatever you want to call that link.  You can even include it as part of a sentence, like this, which I set up to link right back to this post.