Menu

Prek 2- yes for two year olds?

homemommy83

I am a huge believer in play, experiences, and reading aloud being the heavy focus of a two year olds life, BUT I want to get him a "big kid workbook" as he is number 6 and wants to sit in his high chair and join the "bigs".  

I am already making him some activity bags, and I do plan to let freely explore different mediums- playdough, markers, and paint; but I want something that when I hand it to him has a simple purpose like- matching, large easy mazes, tracing with markers.  Most things that I find might have a couple pages aimed at the younger preschoolers, but they typically ramp up to letter and number writing which isn't what I am looking for.  I want a cut and paste or sticker book that would be more age appropriate and would make him feel special.

I want to give him one page daily and then let him go play.  Does any of the Hive know of appropriate workbooks for the 2 year old stage?

Brenda

P.S. A great book for the 1-3 year old stage is Slow and Steady Get Me Ready as it gives you weekly activities from Birth to 5 years old.  I have found that my favorite activities are the 1-3 year old pages.

They have a good amount for little ones I used with both of mine. My youngest had even more to choose from since they expanded their options. They added sticker books too. There is a similar company called Gakken that has books that are like the Kumon ones, which were really cute and had stickers to put on every page when completed which DD loved. The books were bigger and have more pages. 

• Like 1

I had a similar thing going on with my fourth child ?

Yes! Kumon books for the littlest work wonderful.  Simple colouring, stickers, cutting, pasting.  They were so great for her.  They look so official lol.  My dd also received gakken workbooks for Christmas one year (that's how much she loves workbooks!) and they have a very similar feel and are available on amazon as well.  

Usborne has amazing sticker books - although maybe at two, they wouldn't be independent unless you peeled all the stickers off and stuck them to the edge of the table so he could pick them up and stick them himself. I believe the series we used and she still loves is My First Sticker Book.  Melissa and Doug also make some great sticker books, though they're in big pads.  funny faces, animals in different habitats, adding sticker foods to plates, that kind of thing.  The big kids love them too!

As a hand me down, dd also got an old Tag reader set?  Not really sure what they're called, the plastic pen onto which you download books and they can "read" the matching physical book in front of them with it.  Got oodles of use out of it!

One more thing was I collected a pile of unused math pages, abandoned for various reasons by the big kids, and gave her a sheet to "complete" during math time.  She LOVED having a page full of numbers to scribble on and I could relax knowing it was recycling anyhow.

For us, at two, she would colour with smelly markers or make a terrific mess cutting paper in to teeny tiny little peices while I did morning time, the bigs would go off to do a bit of independent work while the two of us did a simplified Before Five in a Row and a workbook page of some kind and she was usually pretty satisfied.  If she came back asking for more later in the day, it was a sticker page or a math page.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seemesew said:

I also like the 3 year old stuff from rod and staff or cle (they are very similar to the kumon ones) but cheaper. I usually skip the religious stuff in them which is super easy.

I am doing the Rod and Staff Preschool workbooks this semester with my 4 year old and we will progress to CLE K2 for the spring as these are awesome books.  

Thank you as it encouraged me about my choices this year.

Brenda

• Like 1