Menu

when your young adult steps out of your comfort zone--update

lynn

And your are sitting around waiting for the txt that everything is fine.  I come here to my cyber friends to keep my mind busy.  I am giving myself until 1p before I start worrying, panicking etc.    So to keep me from thinking to much tell me what your making for dinner or the silly thing your pet did today or someone pull up the hair waxing story from years ago.  Anything please!  

Hope everything turns out ok.

we are on our way to the beach, after we stop for lunch.  We wanted to leave a couple of hours ago. Kids act like are being punished by making them go to the beach, so it took them a long time to get ready.  Today is the nicest day of our vacation to go to the beach - you can actually see blue sky above instead of gray clouds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slurping cold-brewed coffee as I cannot drink hot coffee when it's nearly F90 by 9am, looking over work schedule, surfing the board, contemplating showering and making a lunch/afternoon snack as my work appointment will be afternoon to evening. Didn't sleep well because the peach harvest is in full swing on neighboring orchard and since it's so hot during the day, they do the work at night.

I am sure everything is fine. Update us if you can.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, school17777 said:

we are on our way to the beach, after we stop for lunch.  We wanted to leave a couple of hours ago. Kids act like are being punished by making them go to the beach, so it took them a long time to get ready.  Today is the nicest day of our vacation to go to the beach - you can actually see blue sky above instead of gray clouds.

Enjoy your beach trip.   We go in October when no one's around. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Slurping cold-brewed coffee, looking over work schedule, surfing the board, contemplating showering and making a lunch/afternoon snack as my work appointment will be afternoon to evening.

I am sure everything is fine. Update us if you can.

I keep seeing an hearing of cold brew.  Wanting to try it.  do you have a favorite brand?

1 hour ago, lynn said:

I keep seeing an shearing cold brew.  Wanting to try it.  do you have a favorite brand?

I take my regular coffee (which is usually Sumatran or Ethiopian organic blend) and grind it. Then pour water over the ground coffee at a ratio of 4 parts of water to 1 part of coffee. Let sit at room temp overnight. Then filter out the grounds and refrigerate the brew. Delicious. 

ETA: Don't drink a full cup of cold brew (stronger than regular coffee) but I fill a cup between 1/4 and 1/2 with cold brew, then add water and a little milk. You can also add some sweetener.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’m trying to motivate myself to mow the back yard.    I’ve worked on it for a week trying to cut back jasmine that has grown like crazy and now I need to mow so the dogs don’t get lost in the grass.   I dread it though.    

Ds got a new job and is excited because it’s $1.75 over minimum wage.   

I’ll probably fix pancakes for supper since I don’t have anything thawed out.   

I wish I was going to the beach with school17777!   

I don't mind the mowing.  I find the back and forth therapeutic (I'm weird like that). I don't love the edging, bush trimming.  I guess I'll be doing that with DH when ds leaves for the Navy on October.

Great news on your sons starting wage.

Pancakes are my Sunday dinner go to.  

28 minutes ago, lynn said:

Enjoy your beach trip.   We go in October when no one's around. 

We went yesterday afternoon and could not believe how empty the beach is here, compared to back home.  I ran into a man from our area who is here for the week and he said the beach has been like that all week and they couldn’t get over it.  We went to the beach near us a couple of weeks ago, and you were surrounded on all sides by other beach goers.

eta:  is it still warm enough in October?

• Like 2

I'm waiting on hold on a work call - insurance companies take forever to pick up. I think they're trying to make me give up on waiting. But I will not be cowed by hold music! 

Also keeping an eye on my son who is riding his bike on our road and trying not to worry about the family of black bears that have been seen wandering on our road regularly this summer!

• Like 3

My DS18 made brownies last night. I praise his industriousness, but I curse it, too, because those are my krytonite. He’s like, “You never make these anymore; I’ll just make them myself.” Oh, man. 22g of carbs. 263 calories. Per square. Bah! 

1 hour ago, school17777 said:

Oh my gosh! SO have experienced that! DH, too. Like I am torturing him by doing something different! 

• Haha 1

I'm baking a whole chicken and trying a new bulgur, carrot, almond salad to go with it.

The bunnies are sitting on the floor vents letting the cool air blow against their naked bellies bare from being spayed a couple of weeks ago.

Right now my daughter's tie dye shirts are rinsing and I just finished cleaning the floors throughout the house.

Oh, I get that. Totally. 

For a distraction....my kitten just tried to jump on the coffee table, but slid off. This would be infinitely funnier with pictures, but I missed it, of course. The best part was that whole cat face of "What, I totally did that on purpose..." when she picked herself up. 

Or, I'm working on a photo book from 2017. We went on a huge camping trip, a cruise, and basically that's it. So, I got the camping trip down to 4 pages. And the cruise down to 8 pages (ha!). And now I'm filling in with normal life stuff.....except, basically what I have are birthday pictures, and random stuff with zero context. Like, 10 pictures of all 5 of us really dressed up......and no idea what event we were attending. So that's cool. And, doing the cruise pics, I had to look up what the name of the ports were, 'cause I'd forgotten one of them. 

Or, if you need a more frustrating distraction, the college kid in summer school who yesterday spent 5 hours on *half* a homework assignment (and then finished a quiz and another homework in 2 hours total), so came home today and he and I sat down and planned out his homework schedule for the weekend, so he doesn't spend hours on stuff that's worth half a percentage of his grade (literally, ALL the homework combined is 10%, which means each individual one? Less than .5%). Who just took 1.5 hours to do something that should have taken half an hour, because he was goofing off with his brothers instead. :sigh: 

Or how 'bout the fact that, in putting together the photo books, I discovered my youngest has a cup of grass (seeds they planted in science once) from over a YEAR ago....? I had no idea Bob was so old these days.....(he's mostly weeds at this point, which is sad in & of itself, that even grass growing in a paper cup in my son's bedroom window still is mostly weeds.....makes ya wonder about the seeds in the first place.....) But also, who on earth keeps their "pet grass" for over a year??? Am I going to need to pet-sit Bob when my son moves out one day?? Will he take Bob with him? Is there any way possible to throw Bob away without devastating my 13 yr old???? 

Hope that distracts you a bit, and you get the text soon that all is well. ((((hugs))))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been busy today. First I had to mill the wheat berries before we could make bread. Then I took four of the kids up to the pool. The 13 yo recently got a mermaid tail so she wants to go to the pool every stinking day. Watched her zoom around underwater. Came home & made shrimp for lunch. I should be cleaning and packing. We're leaving for vacation/family visit tomorrow. I did manage to get the mail hold done. I also had to ask a neighbor to bring in a package while we're out of town. My DH got a shipping notice but nobody in the house ordered anything. Of course it arrives while we're out of town. Now I need to get the 16 yo to go cut the grass so that's taken care of before we leave.

Well, I hate waiting....so here's my day so far...

Took kids to senior center so oldest can see about volunteering to teach computer/smartphone workshops for seniors as part of his 4H leadership. Then since he is responsible for club t-shirts this year, were planning to stop at a few printing places to get quotes. BUT as we turn out of the center, my van goes 20 feet and dies......

So AAA tows it home while I find a neighbor to give us a ride home ?

Yeah for good neighbors

Boo for bad alternator!!

• Sad 1

As the mom of two young adults, I empathize with you! Parenting adults is hard!

I sent my two youngest off this morning on a 3-day camping trip, where they will do all the things that I would probably never do with them, including a day-long rafting trip down class-3 rapids. They will love it and I completely trust the leaders they went with so it’s a win all around. 

This afternoon I’m taking my second oldest to a meadow up in the mountains about 45 minutes away, where all the wildflowers are in bloom right now. We’ve been going there since my boys were babies and it’s so gorgeous when everything is in bloom. I’m really looking forward to this - it totally soothes my soul!

Wow, are you still waiting, Lynn?

At this point, I would be sending a text about something totally unrelated but that also just happened to require a quick response, as a way to check up on the person without coming right out and saying, “I’M WORRIED — ARE YOU OK???”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

DH is out of town for nearly 2 weeks, and instead of being productive (cleaning, painting cabinets, planning the school year) I'm chain-drinking coffee and redecorating my house/cave in Minecraft. ?

YAY! Another mom that plays Minecraft.

• Like 3

Thanks for the posts and keeping my mind busy.  Here's what was going on.  DS had to get up at 3a to be somewhere by 5:30A.  It was A 90 mile each way trip.  My young adult DS, even though he had access to 2cars insisted on taking his motorcycle, on the interstate to a busy city he is unfamiliar with.  Talk about a nail biter day.  He's home from his adventure and I can now know when he leaves for the Navy he'll be okay.  

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Wow, are you still waiting, Lynn?

At this point, I would be sending a text about something totally unrelated but that also just happened to require a quick response, as a way to check up on the person without coming right out and saying, “I’M WORRIED — ARE YOU OK???”

Yep now I am.  He stopped for lunch, broke his phone........