Menu

Convince me--Should I sell my Instant Pot or keep it?

Chris in VA

Got one for my birthday (from dh--not asked for). I've made ribs, stew, chicken, bbq pork... 

Eh. 

I don't really like wet, saucy food. 

Youngest is leaving for college, we will not be here, and I won't use it for at least 3 years. 

I certainly haven't explored all the possibilities with it. Haven't made rice with it, for example.  I did break my crock pot, so I don't have one now, and I'd use it for that. 

What do you think? It's a duo something, so a nice one (6 qt, I think). Should I sell it? Or keep it? 

14 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Eh.  

This is how I feel about my Instant Pot that I received for Christmas. Our slow cooker broke, so the IP seemed like a good replacement. I have friends who use theirs daily.

I use my bread machine way more than my IP. The IP turned out to be a very poor replacement for a slow cooker. (Our usual/favorite recipes did not transition well at ALL.) We got a new slow cooker. The IP sits on the counter, only being used for hard boiled eggs (once per month?). The recipes we've tried are ok, but none of them have become favorites or even "hey can you make that [whatever] again?" from one of the kids.

Pondering the same question you have - except I still have five kids at home! And, mine's an 8-qt.

• Like 1

I love mine and use it almost every day in the winter.  More than a few times, I've used it multiple times for different meals ? Some favorites have been chili, minestrone soup, lentil soup, beef stew, sloppy jo, mac n cheese. Having said that, I have only used it a few times this summer.  Supposed to be 107 actual today with higher heat indexes.  I'm just not cooking much at all. using any appliance.

I did use it recently for hard boiled eggs.  Makes perfect hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs.  Also, dd has made macaroni and cheese a few times.  It makes the best mac n cheese.

Other non saucy foods I like: whole chicken, chicken breasts, beef roast, corm on the cob (like 4 minutes to perfection), oatmeal.  My IRL gf uses her Instant Pot to make the best yogurt.  Her MIL makes a really nice cheesecake.  I've read it does a really nice job on beans.  I've only done lentil soup in mine. 

Google some other recipes and see if you find something you like.  Or just use it as a 1 pot crockpot.  I like that I can brown the meat, then add everything else, put the lid on, and have a crockpot

• Like 3

I got one recently. I made pinto beans last night for tacos, yum. I didn't even presoak the beans. I've also made pulled pork a couple times. I love that it's so fast. The meat doesn't have to be wet or saucy when you eat it. You could add it to fried rice or another stir fry, eat it in sandwiches or just by itself with whatever veggies on the side. I'm looking forward to cooking rice, making yogurt, and trying out lots more recipes. That said, if you really don't love it and won't use it, give it away or sell it.

• Like 2

I find it to be a nice kitchen tool, but if a tool is not useful to me, I get rid of it.  If you know you are not going to use it for 3 years, why not get rid of it now;  it seems unlikely you would be able to sell it at that point.  I could be wrong on that though.

• Like 3

We use ours every day in the winter.  I never used to make soups because they were always so blah. But since I started using the Instant Pot (which uses less water), the soups are so much better. I save the bones of organic chicken and make bone broth several times in the fall and winter and use that as a base for some quick soups.  I didn't use it much in previous summers.  But this summer, I discovered that I can cook pasta in there without heating up my entire house.  I tried one pot pasta where I cooked the noodles in the sauce ... I was in a hurry and it was really hot out.  It was much more flavorful than my old method of putting sauce on top of the cooked pasta.  I've used the steamer rack quite a bit and make rice in there.  We like sticky rice for several korean dishes we like and the pot-in-pot method works really well.

• Like 3

I use mine regularly, would not want to part with it ... but if I didn't use it I would get rid of it.

If you change your mind in 3 years you can get the new, improved version, or whatever else the "in" kitchen appliance will be at that time.

• Like 2

I'm not among those who uses the IP every day but I do like it and use it enough to justify keeping it. However, with limited cabinet and counter space I don't keep small appliances or kitchen gadgets that aren't useful to me. I vote get rid of it if you know you aren't going to use it. 

• Like 2

DEFINITELY make rice with it BEFORE you get rid of it.  That's my favorite thing!

Try it however you ordinarily make rice (mind the water ratio is less per the instructions or it will also be wet and saucy), and also try:

• a seasoned version made with chicken stock or bouillon, butter, and dried parsley
  • your favorite risotto recipe, make sure to include butter, cheese and wine, as well as mushrooms or anything else you like in your risotto. You can dump all the ingredients in for the easy way, or stir fry/toast the rice on the bottom for a more authentic chewy sort of texture.
  • Make brown rice if you usually prefer white, or vice versa.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Sell it.  In three years, there will be a new gadget to buy.  

I agree! And in three years, if Chris decides she wants an Instant Pot, she will probably be able to buy the same model brand new for less than she sells this one for, because there will be lots of new models by then and the older models will be cheaper.  ?

Ours gets a fair amount of use. We eat a lot of beans, and it's really handy for making beans. Rice is another good one to make in there. DH makes yogurt every week and it's delicious. He also likes making soup in there in the winter. I don't typically make full meals in it, but for us, the beans and yogurt makes it worth it. If you're not using it though, I would sell it. 

2 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I love mine and use it almost every day in the winter.  More than a few times, I've used it multiple times for different meals ? Some favorites have been chili, minestrone soup, lentil soup, beef stew, sloppy jo, mac n cheese. Having said that, I have only used it a few times this summer.  Supposed to be 107 actual today with higher heat indexes.  I'm just not cooking much at all. using any appliance.

I did use it recently for hard boiled eggs.  Makes perfect hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs.  Also, dd has made macaroni and cheese a few times.  It makes the best mac n cheese.

Other non saucy foods I like: whole chicken, chicken breasts, beef roast, corm on the cob (like 4 minutes to perfection), oatmeal.  My IRL gf uses her Instant Pot to make the best yogurt.  Her MIL makes a really nice cheesecake.  I've read it does a really nice job on beans.  I've only done lentil soup in mine. 

Google some other recipes and see if you find something you like.  Or just use it as a 1 pot crockpot.  I like that I can brown the meat, then add everything else, put the lid on, and have a crockpot

This is my experience as well. I use it A TON in the winter. Today I made a crustless key lime pie in my IP. It makes a perfect 6" pie. I wanted a Weight Watchers friendly dessert and I think this is it! I love my IP.

There’s no point in sacrificing the space. You can replace it later if you change your mind. I say sell it.  I don’t have an IP. I like my crockpot and rice cooker just fine. I DO own a pressure cooker that I use regularly for beans and stock and it’s quicker to use than an IP. 

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Got one for my birthday (from dh--not asked for). I've made ribs, stew, chicken, bbq pork... 

Eh. 

I don't really like wet, saucy food. 

Youngest is leaving for college, we will not be here, and I won't use it for at least 3 years. 

I certainly haven't explored all the possibilities with it. Haven't made rice with it, for example.  I did break my crock pot, so I don't have one now, and I'd use it for that. 

What do you think? It's a duo something, so a nice one (6 qt, I think). Should I sell it? Or keep it? 

Keep it. You already have it :-) and you can start with little things, like hard-cooking eggs. Life changing. Potatoes for either mashing or potato salad--4 minutes. Rice--I haven't used my rice cooker in almost two years.

The slow-cooking function seems to be the least satisfying. I rarely use a crock pot, so that hasn't been an issue.

Brown rice is AMAZING in the instant pot. Quinoa is really fast. We like cooking potatoes and sweet potatoes in it. All soups are good in it. 

I like the meat I've cooked in it, but that's not like change my life. Well that's not true, cooking down meat to shred is awesome in it. But in general I was happy with my very nice convection oven for meat. But for those other things, which we actually eat a lot of, the IP is AWESOME. So maybe try more things.

• Like 1

Eh. That's also how I feel about my Instant Pot. There's a HUGE learning curve with it. And the thing that bugs me the most ..... I can make something in it and it's amazing. The next time I make the same thing, using the same exact process, and it's terrible.

• Like 2

Well, I'm going to sell it. We will be where I can't use a plug-in appliance without an adapter, and that is notorious for burning out an appliance. Plus it's just the two of us, so no need for big things. No dairy, either, so yogurt and such are a no-go. 

I don't know. By the time it gets up to pressure, it really hasn't saved time on rice or hard-boiled eggs. It is nice for meat. But we won't be having a lot of beef, and no pork, and that's what I'd use it for. Vegs are easier to steam in the microwave. 

I think if I had a bigger family and could eat that other stuff, I'd really like it. 

So, anyone want an Instant Pot? ahahha

• Like 4

I like that I can use it in the summer and we can have a hot meal without heating up the kitchen. And that I can put something in it and then forget about it while I do other things instead of being tied to the kitchen watching and stirring or whatever. It's not the be all end all of my cooking experience, but I definitely like to use it and wouldn't get rid of it. My favorites are baked potatoes because it's so much quicker than in the oven, and pork chops and chicken because they come out so juicy and not dried out.

Edited by Momto5inIN
ETA: Oops, just saw you already decided :)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

We use ours every day in the winter.  I never used to make soups because they were always so blah. But since I started using the Instant Pot (which uses less water), the soups are so much better. I save the bones of organic chicken and make bone broth several times in the fall and winter and use that as a base for some quick soups.  I didn't use it much in previous summers.  But this summer, I discovered that I can cook pasta in there without heating up my entire house.  I tried one pot pasta where I cooked the noodles in the sauce ... I was in a hurry and it was really hot out.  It was much more flavorful than my old method of putting sauce on top of the cooked pasta.  I've used the steamer rack quite a bit and make rice in there.  We like sticky rice for several korean dishes we like and the pot-in-pot method works really well.

This is what I bought the IP for....  I like to make stews and soups and chili, and I thought it would save me time on those.  But I haven't wrapped my head around what I need to do to adapt my own recipes for the IP... by the time I sit down and figure it out, I could have made and finished it the way I already know... and that keeps happening.  I also feel once you add the time it takes to come up to pressure and then depressurize, will I have even saved any time at all?   Is there some rule of thumb of how much water to use in the IP vs on the stove for soups/stews and about how long to keep it at pressure for?  

I think I've used it twice since I got it 2 1/2 years ago, both times to make a corned beef.  I don't like hard-boiled eggs, and we eat almost no rice (and honestly, so stinking easy to make on the stove the rare times I do, still haven't figured out why I'd need a separate appliance...).  I don't make a lot of hunks of meat (I should figure out how to make pot roast in it, though...)

I should probably figure out the secret of the bean soaking... but that may also take more advance planning than I've got in me even if it does take less time, lol...  The whole reason I didn't ever use my crockpot more is I would have to remember to think about dinner in the morning, and it was always more like mid-afternoon at the earliest that I'd think about it, and then not enough time for a slow-cooker. 

I just keep thinking if I could figure out how to easily adapt my soup recipes, I'd use it all the time, especially in the winter...

37 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

I think if I had a bigger family and could eat that other stuff, I'd really like it. 

Our family size is one of the reasons I held out on getting one. There are only three of us and often only two are here for dinner (not always the same two). I do regular make meals to freeze in individual portions so I still make large amounts of stuff, otherwise it probably wouldn't be worth it for me either. 

Again, you don't sound like you have either a need, a desire, or room for yours. Get the extra money and don't look back.

Slightly OT, but related: I get soups and beans. But can somebody explain the advantage to me when it comes to cooking rice? I looked up directions and it said brown rice cooks 25-28 minutes in the IP. And white rice 3+10? That's hardly any savings over stovetop (40 mins brown /20 mins white). And if you use the instapot to cook the rice,  all the other food you serve with it has to be cooked stovetop in the mean time (I don't think people have multiple instapots for that?). So what is the gain?

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Slightly OT, but related: I get soups and beans. But can somebody explain the advantage to me when it comes to cooking rice? I looked up directions and it said brown rice cooks 25-28 minutes in the IP. And white rice 3+10? That's hardly any savings over stovetop (40 mins brown /20 mins white). And if you use the instapot to cook the rice,  all the other food you serve with it has to be cooked stovetop in the mean time (I don't think people have multiple instapots for that?). So what is the gain?

I think some people use pot in pot to cook the rice and food at the same time in the instant pot but I don't. I like making rice in the instant pot because it frees up some burners on the stove. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I made rice in it for the first time last night. I'm used to making rice for just us, so I generally just cook 1 c. rice. Last night I made a huge meal and ended up making 4 c. rice. For some reason, I have not had great luck making larger batches of rice on the stove, so I figured it was a good time to test out instant pot rice. It worked great and I didn't have the gummy rice issues that I've had in the past.  

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

The big advantage for rice in my opinion is I can cook it and leave it for an hour after if I want to.  I make a lot of quick stir fry dishes and I am frequently waiting for someone to walk in the door.  I can do the rice ahead of time and it will be perfect when I want it.  

3 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

The big advantage for rice in my opinion is I can cook it and leave it for an hour after if I want to.  I make a lot of quick stir fry dishes and I am frequently waiting for someone to walk in the door.  I can do the rice ahead of time and it will be perfect when I want it.  

You mean it is kept warm longer than in a regular pot? 

46 minutes ago, regentrude said:

It's kept warm and it doesn't get dry.  It also requires much less attention for perfect rice than stovetop rice, and it doesn't spray starch like most rice cookers do.

I forgot about how much better hardboiled eggs are in the IP.  It doesn't matter how fresh they are, they peel perfectly and come out perfectly every time.

• Like 1

I think if you don’t use it and won’t for the next 3 years, sell it. 

Before you part with it you might want to cook a few other types of things in it to see how it does them, so as to know more about it for the future. 

I don’t have a lot of other gadgets that many people do have, and find the IP does a good job warming and steaming (what many people might do in microwave), makes rice (as many do in rice cooker or I used to on stove top) perfectly every time. Excellent on whole chicken— which I raise up so as not to have boiled chicken— and then the caught juices make the start of awesome soup. It is good on soup generally. 

Using stacked inner pots it can do two things at once, such as rice and an Indian or Asian cuisine dish to go with the rice—in which case the 6qt is none too big for 2 people. 

Ot can keep food warm after cooking or rewarm after being in fridge or freezer. 

As I am on a semi-keto type nutrition plan I find it does really well with a lot of keto friendly food. 

It can even make desserts. Well not exactly, but it can cook a dessert you make.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, regentrude said:

When cooking is done it goes into a “keep warm “ mode by default. And seems to stay in perfect or excellent condition for hours. The “keep warm” setting can keep foods waiting till ready to eat them, for sure from middle of day till dinner-ish time since I’ve done that. Maybe from typical before work morning time till dinner time, which I have not tried to do. I can’t recall the maximum keep warm feature time. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I think if you don’t use it and won’t for the next 3 years, sell it. 

Before you part with it you might want to cook a few other types of things in it to see how it does them, so as to know more about it for the future. 

I don’t have a lot of other gadgets that many people do have, and find the IP does a good job warming and steaming (what many people might do in microwave), makes rice (as many do in rice cooker or I used to on stove top) perfectly every time. Excellent on whole chicken— which I raise up so as not to have boiled chicken— and then the caught juices make the start of awesome soup. It is good on soup generally. 

Using stacked inner pots it can do two things at once, such as rice and an Indian or Asian cuisine dish to go with the rice—in which case the 6qt is none too big for 2 people. 

Ot can keep food warm after cooking or rewarm after being in fridge or freezer. 

As I am on a semi-keto type nutrition plan I find it does really well with a lot of keto friendly food. 

It can even make desserts. Well not exactly, but it can cook a dessert you make.

I never thought of reheating food!  Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

Oh, it's more than 20 minutes on the stovetop for white rice, because you have to add in the time it takes for the water to boil, during which time you have to hang around, because you don't know exactly how long that will take. You also have to be *right there* when the cooking time is up.

OTOH, I put rice and water in the IP, press the "rice" button, and walk away. 11 minutes cook time (white rice), maybe 3 minutes to reach pressure, and I don't have to be there *at all.*

I have two InstaNT Pots, so I can cook rice in one while cooking something else in the other; but I have also had success cooking pot-in-pot (rice and some water in another container, on top of whatever else is cooking).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I should probably figure out the secret of the bean soaking... but that may also take more advance planning than I've got in me even if it does take less time, lol...  The whole reason I didn't ever use my crockpot more is I would have to remember to think about dinner in the morning, and it was always more like mid-afternoon at the earliest that I'd think about it, and then not enough time for a slow-cooker. 

I just keep thinking if I could figure out how to easily adapt my soup recipes, I'd use it all the time, especially in the winter...

I don't soak beans when I cook them in the IP.

Also, I never thought the stove was easier than a rice cooker (I was given one as a present over 30 years ago): dump water and rice in the rice cooker, lock the lid, turn it on, walk away. You cannot do that with *anything* you cook on the stove. The IP cooks rice more quickly than my rice cooker; the rice cooker is the next appliance to go to Good Will. :-)

The ease of peeling hard boiled eggs ans being able to cook frozen chicken breasts are the only two things I use my IP for.

I don't have a rice cooker & the stove is good enough for me.

I don't even know what risotto is.

We don't do real beans because I greatly dislike beans, DH does canned beans when he gets th we hankering. We don't eat baked potatoes or mashed potatoes. (Guess we aren't a beans & potatoes family.) We don't eat a lot of meat dishes.

Most of the recipes people rave about are not normal in our house and/or we don't like them the IP way. (For example, a couple of my kids like Mac &cheese but prefer boxed to homemade.)

I keep thinking there is something I'm missing, so I haven't gotten rid of it. I'm at a loss as to what.

24 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I don't even know what risotto is.

It is a rice dish where you first sautee the rice briefly to coat the grains in oil or butter and then cook it by slowly adding more and more liquid while stirring. The stirring releases the starch so the dish gets a creamy consistency without having any cream added.

• Like 2

I use my IP quite a bit but I've never made rice in it. I find that so easy to do on the stove and it always comes out perfectly that I've not even tried it. 

I do use it for beans- beans are a frugal meal lifesaver and now that I have the IP I don't even have to remember to soak them so I can save bundles of money buying dried instead of canned.

It makes quick work of cooking large squash that would take ages to cook in the oven- I did spaghetti squash yesterday- 12 min at pressure and it was perfect.

I make large chunks of meats like roasts, chicken breast for tacos, and pulled pork but otherwise cook meat on the stove top or oven.

It makes fabulous stock/broth in 90 minutes which is delicious and cheap.

You can make homemade yogurt for a fraction of the cost. 

Oh, I use stew meat for stir-fry, 25 minutes and it is perfectly done and tender and I can get by w/ a cheaper cut of beef.

BUT I'd feel no guilt selling it if it is not something that is worthwhile for you!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, regentrude said:

The rice is so perfect and easy in IP. I use my IP so much that I just got a 2nd one on Prime Day. I’ll be able to make one large thing in one IP and 2 small in the other or 2 small in both at the same time now. 

I have gotten into starting cooking going in the IP immediately as I get home from grocery, for example a whole chicken gets unwrapped and goes straight into the IP, instead of perhaps into fridge or freezer for a future meal. Same could be beans or chili. 

When done it can have part refrigerated or frozen for another meal in its now cooked rather than raw state.  If I then want rice for a meal,  I could cook rice in the bottom of the IP while a pot above it can hold the beans (etc) and reheat them at the same time. Or the pot above could have some of the chicken, and also a vegetable or a curry from several different foods (etc) that would cook (or reheat) at around the same speed and settings as the rice below.  

11 hours ago, happi duck said:

I never thought of reheating food!  Thanks for the idea.

Just be sure you give it extra water or oil as needed. 

If the food will tolerate it, I find a 1 or 2 minute high pressure steaming often reheats well. 

I am moving toward stainless steel leftover storage containers so I can put them in the IP and reheat them via pot in pot method without dirtying extra dishes and pots.

• Like 3

I still make rice on the stove because I find it easier. There have been a few times I made rice and something else in my stackable dishes but for the most part I find it just as easy if not easier to make it on the stove. There seems to be a learning curve with rice in the IP that I'm just not willing to spend time on. 

As with @happi duck and rice, I've been making hard boiled eggs since I was nine years old and have never been able to perfect them on the stove top. They're either underdone, rubbery, or hard to peel. In the IP I have none of those problems. They're perfectly done and amazingly easy to peel, regardless of where I bought them or how old they are (which I've been told makes a difference in peel-ability).

I mostly make one dish meals in my IP that get done much faster than on the stove. And unlike a crock pot where the flavors often blend together so everything tastes the same, the instant pot allows for vibrant flavors. You can taste the different ingredients even when they're all cooked together. 

My most "exotic" dishes that I make regularly are egg bites that are like Starbucks sous vide egg bites, and cheesecake. The egg bites freeze well so anyone can grab one or two for breakfast. And I can make NY style cheesecake that doesn't crack on top in the instant pot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I still make rice on the stove because I find it easier. There have been a few times I made rice and something else in my stackable dishes but for the most part I find it just as easy if not easier to make it on the stove. There seems to be a learning curve with rice in the IP that I'm just not willing to spend time on. 

As with

Hmmm. I use the amount of water and rice called for as per the type of rice—same as I would stovetop, a dash of salt usually put it in the IP and turn it on “rice” setting. Plus a couple of minutes for brown rice. Knock on wood I guess, but it has been perfect every time. 

17 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

My most "exotic" dishes that I make regularly are egg bites that are like Starbucks sous vide egg bites, and cheesecake. The egg bites freeze well so anyone can grab one or two for breakfast. And I can make NY style cheesecake that doesn't crack on top in the instant pot.

I plan to make both of these soon for first time—do you have any tips or favorite recipes to share?

I use my IP for rice all the time.  I had a rice cooker which died around the time I got the IP.  

I just find it easier than doing it on the stove. The amount of time it takes is slightly less than stovetop in my experience, and it's all hands-off. I put in the water, rice, and salt, turn the thing on, and 15 minutes later I have perfect right.  I have not tried it for risotto yet, but I do sometimes saute the rice in butter/oil/seasonings before starting it in the IP and that works great too. 

Not trying to be an IP apologist, because it's just a tool. Not everyone finds the same tools useful. I do happen to find it very useful for rice.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pen said:

I plan to make both of these soon for first time—do you have any tips or favorite recipes to share?

I made This Old Gal's cheesecake and it was delicious. Just pay attention to the instructions. The main instructions are for a 6 inch pan. I have this 7 inch pan and the first time I made it I didn't pay attention and ended up with a thin (short) cheesecake. Just below the main instructions are adjustments for if you have a 7 or 8 inch pan or if you're making mini cheesecakes in 4 inch pans. I also ended up having to toss most of my first two cheesecakes. Hurricane Irma came before we ate it all and we were without power for too long. I didn't want to take a chance. ? 

The egg bites are not as straightforward. I kind of combined what came with the silicone molds plus what I found online. 

Mostly I use this and this, though there isn't much difference between the two. Sometimes I leave out the bacon or add a little chicken sausage instead. Sometimes I add bell pepper and/or onions. They'll be crisp tender so if you want them soft, cook them a bit first. Don't use too many add-ins or they'll overpower the eggs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I think there's a "learning curve" because, well, I don't know why, because it's easy to make rice. Ok, I made a couple of iffy batches, lol, while following the advice of the elebenty-million IP FB users :-) and then I read a recipe somewhere that I cannot remember, that uses the actual features and equipment that came with the IP, as if the manufacturer had a plan or something, and ever since then, it's been perfection.

You know that little measuring cup that came with your IP? That's for measuring white rice (it's about 3/4 of a cup). Does your stainless steel liner have lines on the inside? Those are fill lines, cups on one side, liters on the other. Measure the rice into the liner with the little measuring cup; add liquid to the fill lines: 2 cups rice, 2 cups on the fill lines; 3 cups rice, 3 cups on the fill lines. Put the lid on and lock it. Press the "rice" button. Walk away. When it's done, let it NPR for a few minutes, then release any remaining pressure and remove the lid (but you don't have to worry about this step, if you get busy and forget about it). Stir the rice. It will be *perfect* every time.

If you want to add butter or oil, do that after you add the liquid. Wash your rice or not. I have not seen a difference between them.

The rice button is pre-programmed to magically figure out the exact amount of time needed for the rice you put in it. If you want to add butter or oil, do that after you add the liquid.

• Like 2