Menu

Re Autism

Pen

Here are the links from your other thread, Pen:

PODCASTS

- Manipulating Our Hidden Half/ The Second Genome (Episode 1 of 3)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csxgw3

- Dirt and Development/ The Second Genome (Episode 2 of 3)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csxgw4

- Gateway to the Mind/ The Second Genome (Episode 3 of 3)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csxgw5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ARTICLE 

The right mix of gut microbes relieves autism symptoms in the long run (Science News)

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/gut-microbes-autism-symptoms

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Veeeeeeery interesting! Thank you for sharing, Pen! I got some of the links from your other thread. I read the article but should be in bed. I'll listen to the podcasts in the morning.

Pen, this does not appear to have made it into the US National Library of Medicine yet, as from the dates it is pretty apparent that it just came out. However, I did find in the US National Library of Medicine what appears to be the original study.

Microbiota Transfer Therapy alters gut ecosystem and improves gastrointestinal and autism symptoms: an open-label study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5264285/

You will see Krajmalnik-Brown's name up at the top with the other contributors. All the particulars of the study match. What you appear to have come across is the follow-up.

If this helps you, I just copy the URL from the site I want to link, and then just paste straight into the thread. I only read and post on the LC board, however, I'll transfer this info in the other thread for you since you have been having problems linking.

Some comments/ thoughts I just wanted to add. This is a very interesting study. It will take years of testing though, with more kids, before it goes any further. This is a procedure, not a pill or vaccine. The costs are much greater and it will take even longer to convince governments or insurance companies to fund it. However, it will be groundbreaking for those that are on the severe end of autism! I have been praying for something like this for the families who, unlike those of us with HF kids, deal with heartbreaking harsh realities daily. I pray that something comes out of this a lot sooner, for their sake!

I haven't had the chance to listen to the podcasts yet, and I assumed that the podcasts were talking about the study found in Science News. It was a different poster on the Chat Board that contributed that link. Apologies for the confusion!

1 hour ago, Moved On said:

I haven't had the chance to listen to the podcasts yet, and I assumed that the podcasts were talking about the study found in Science News. It was a different poster on the Chat Board that contributed that link. Apologies for the confusion!

I started the thread on chat. 

Then I cross posted here when I realized that Arcadia had posted something related to autism. And when I looked at the study with real people it looked extremely promising to me. 

Thank for your help with posting links!

I was able to take some time to listen to the first podcast so far. Very interesting! I have been following research on "the gut and the brain connection" in autism for quite some time and my husband and I watched a documentary about a year ago. I knew a lot about the studies that were mentioned it it but my husband found it fascinating. He kept pointing stuff out and I kept saying, "Yup, I know!"

This is my first time looking into it beyond just autism, so thank you ☺️ I actually put the boys on the gfcf diet about a year before their first diagnoses, about 6 years ago, primarily because my whole family back home (both parents and siblings, plus extended family) and I are hypothyroid (mine diagnosed as Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disorder) and I figured it is just a matter of time for them. So, my original reason for starting the gfcf diet wasn't actually for the autism. The autism was secondary. It is why this is all very interesting to me! I knew about doctors recommending the gfcf diet for the thyroid but I hadn't done much research beyond that point at the time. I figured, if they were in fact on the spectrum (my gut was telling me that they were at the time) it would hopefully help there too, and it has, in various ways.

As usual, I am pulled in many and various directions, but I will be adding this to my to-do list for further research. 

Thanks again ☺️

ETA: My husband is hypothyroid as well.