Menu

If IEW didn't work for your older dyslexic student, what program does work?

Title says it pretty much. What other options are out there? Basically I am dragging me feet starting Level C with my 15 year old. I'm, fine with going ahead with it anyway and I would like to quickly move through it to get to essay writing, but I can see him protesting a bit with it.

What else works that is pretty independent with just me checking his work?

My son has done 2 online type Bravewriter classes. 

Kids Write Basic required a lot of help from me especially because ds is also dysgraphic and needed me to scribe a lot at that stage. 

He was able to do Kidswrite intermediate almost entirely independently. 

Landmark School has a couple books on writing that I haven't read yet (we're still working on foundational oral language skills) but that are supposed to be good. From Talking to Writing is more professional development for the educator and Teaching Writing Skills: Paragraphs to Essays looks more geared towards what to actually do to teach writing.

• Like 2

Essentials in Writing (Matthew Stephens) is what worked here when IEW didn't. I wouldn't start higher than level 9 for a high schooler who is struggling (levels 9 and 10 have more incremental instruction and make fewer assumptions about what students already know than levels 11 and 12.) I actually did level 7 with a 9th grader (it was the highest level out that particular year), and it worked well, so the levels are definitely adaptable for various grades. I probably wouldn't go back that far now, but would use 8 for a student with significant writing struggles.

Diana Hanbury King's Writing Skills is specifically written for dyslexic students--I was going to try that next if Essentials hadn't worked for us. I've also heard really good things about WriteShop, though that can be pricey.

Hope you find a good solution! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

Diana Hanbury King's Writing Skills is specifically written for dyslexic students--I was going to try that next if Essentials hadn't worked for us.

The Paragraph Book series is supposedly an adaptation of Writing Skills designed for remedial use. It takes the concepts covered in book 1 of WS and spreads them out over 4 books with more hand-holding. I don't know if that would be overkill for the OP's student but it is a solid program (I've used it in elementary for NT students).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

The Paragraph Book series is supposedly an adaptation of Writing Skills designed for remedial use. It takes the concepts covered in book 1 of WS and spreads them out over 4 books with more hand-holding. I don't know if that would be overkill for the OP's student but it is a solid program (I've used it in elementary for NT students).

This looks good for my younger.