Menu

Does dc have to have a FB account to be part of a private FB group?

klmama

This fall dc is going to be heavily involved in a group that uses a private FB group for communication.  We have managed to avoid FB so far, and I'd prefer to keep it that way, but I know communication will suffer if we insist they communicate with dc some other way.  Is there a way to be part of a FB group without having to have a FB account?

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused by your "yes" answer.  Which do you mean? "Yes, it's possible to do without having a FB account"  or "Yes, your dc will have to join FB to do this."  Thanks for clarifying.  If it's possible to do without an account, do you know how to go about doing that?  Thanks!

You have to have an account. You just don't have to friend anyone or have settings that allow people to easily find and friend you. You don't have to accept friend requests. If her privacy settings are super tight, she might have to friend someone else so they can find her, but once she's in the group, she can just tell that person, "I don't use FB, so don't be upset that I am unfriending you now that you've added me to the group." 

Once she's in the group, she should set it so that she receives notifications of posts to the group via e-mail. She might have to log in to see the full post or to respond to something, but if she gets notifications, then she shouldn't have to get on FB constantly to monitor what's going on in the group.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, klmama said:

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused by your "yes" answer.  Which do you mean? "Yes, it's possible to do without having a FB account"  or "Yes, your dc will have to join FB to do this."  Thanks for clarifying.  If it's possible to do without an account, do you know how to go about doing that?  Thanks!

Sorry, I meant yes, they have to have an account. I misread your last question as asking if an account was needed.

26 minutes ago, katilac said:

Young people do not use Facebook to socialize, lol. 

So true.  Younger dd belongs strictly for some FB message groups run by older people (in their 20s -- ancient days, I tell you!). Her peers prefer snapchat and group texts.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Sorry, I meant yes, they have to have an account. I misread your last question as asking if an account was needed.

You were just answering the question that was in the subject line. The message in the body was phrased in the opposite way.

• Like 1

I looked into this exact question awhile back & received the same answer you did:  they have to have an account, but you can keep it stripped down. However, you do need to check it every once and awhile because Facebook sometimes resets (adds) certain features that can open up that account to being searchable / seen more than you'd like. However, if the only thing that is done with that account is the private group membership, you mostly just have to deal with the tracking a PP posted about. (But, really, everything on the internet is tracked. Some of us just dislike Google & Facebook's use of the data more than other companies.)