Menu

After WWE 3? Help me decide please :)

I used WWS for my middle two, but never used WWE (maybe it didn't even exist then?).  So my youngest is the first to progress through the WWE series.  He is wrapping up WWE 3 and I have heard that WWE 4 can be super redundant. I would love to know your experiences?  Go with WWE 4, move on to EIW (level 4 or 5? I have never used this but I see that SWB recommends it), or move on to something else?  I read somewhere that WWS shouldn't be started before 6th grade?  Do ya'll agree with this?

Thanks for letting me act like a newbie again with this topic ?

Is your child writing down their own narrations yet? One of the major goals of WWE 4 is to get the child writing their own, so if yours is already doing this, you could probably move on to something else, and if not, it might be useful to use a year of WWE 4 to accomplish that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hollyhock2 said:

Is your child writing down their own narrations yet? One of the major goals of WWE 4 is to get the child writing their own, so if yours is already doing this, you could probably move on to something else, and if not, it might be useful to use a year of WWE 4 to accomplish that.

He was for half the book until I finally realized he wasn't supposed to be writing them.  I somehow didn't notice that it said for me to write.  I guess I had assumed that level 3 would be their writing and not mine.  So he happily lets me write them now ?  He is a strong math/science minded kiddo. His brain works typical of an engineer or a physicist ?  I still coach him a little on building his thoughts (which area always spot on) into actual sentences. So maybe we should do WWE 4?  Does it have them begin to write it on their own completely?  How far into the book?

SWB has a lecture on teaching wiring in the elementary grades that is excellent. I listened to it recently, and helped me to think about what DS9 still needs to learn before moving on from WWE3/4. 

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-elementary-grades-mp3/

For what it's worth, DS9 of finishing up WWE3, and I'm going to try a combo of Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary and Memorial Press Introduction to Composition, plus continuing narration in history (SOTW), literature, and science.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Does it have them begin to write it on their own completely?  How far into the book?

It starts out level 4 with the child writing one sentence and you writing the rest. After a few weeks, they write two sentences and you write the rest, etc. until they are writing the whole thing. I should caveat, though, that my experience is with the instructor text only, so I don't know if the workbook for WWE 4 is different than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noreen Claire said:

SWB has a lecture on teaching wiring in the elementary grades that is excellent. I listened to it recently, and helped me to think about what DS9 still needs to learn before moving on from WWE3/4. 

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-elementary-grades-mp3/

For what it's worth, DS9 of finishing up WWE3, and I'm going to try a combo of Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary and Memorial Press Introduction to Composition, plus continuing narration in history (SOTW), literature, and science.

Thanks for the link. 

They make a Killgallon for elementary?  Oh my word, I didn't know.  My oldest DD who is a writer says that Killgallon for middle and high school were hands down her favorites when she was learning.  I just realized today that SWB recommends them.  I have used them for years after stumbling upon them on amazon.  I am off to see when they created an elementary version ?