Menu

Dual Enrollment Credits (Writing)

So my son is registering for dual enrollment and needs to pick a writing class. Because of his SAT score he can go into the level 200 for technical writing. Honestly, this class would probably be easier for him than the basic class. He is very direct and to the point in his writing and coming up with material can be difficult but he knows how to organize his thoughts and document, etc. So matter of difficulty isn't an issue.

I'm curious how it will transfer though. I realize nobody can say except the college he ends up attending but he doesn't know where he is attending yet so we are attempting to make an educated guess especially since the schools on his list probably all have different policies. In general if 2 communications classes are required for a degree (most EE programs he has looked at have 2 composition type requirements) will it matter if he takes the second level class or will he need both anyway?  These are not Ivy level schools just places like Missouri S&T or University of Alabama, Huntsville or similar type places.

My ds did Comp de at a local university. His ACT tested him out of the Comp 1 so he took Comp 2. The college is is actually attending is requiring him to take the Comp 1. Another school he considered he was able to test out of the Comp 1 with his ACT.

The ACT he needed to test out of the Comp 1 for de was lower than what college #2 was going to require. So, theoretically he tested into Comp 2 at the local university but at the same ACT score he would have needed to take Comp 1 at any of the colleges he considered. 

I am sure I made that confusing. Basically my ds skipped Comp 1 for de but needs to take Comp 1 at his college of choice. He got transfer credit for Comp 2.

My next ds will probably start in Comp 1 for de regardless of ACT score just to get it out of the way.

• Like 1

I would find out if the schools he's transferring to also give credit for their Freshman writing requirement for the SAT score he already has, or he might end up having to retake it if he takes the higher level course.

Dd placed CLEP'd out of two levels of Freshman Writing at the CC, but ended up taking the second semester course anyway, on the recommendation of an advisor.  When she went to a 4-year, the same CLEP score only got her out of one level of Freshman writing, so good thing she took the second class.  Then she transferred to the state flagship, where the same CLEP score didn't get her out of their Freshman Writing (and they only had one level/course required).  Then they applied her 2nd Freshman Writing from CC to a generic Lit/English class and were going to make her re-take Freshman Writing there!!  I had to have her argue persuasively that they should count the 2nd Writing for their Writing requirement, as the 1st class that would have transferred automatically (and that she hadn't taken as she'd placed out) was a pre-req for it!  They fussed and moaned, but finally agreed.

So... I'd look to see.  You might want to have him take the class anyway, or try the CLEP.  A 'higher level' course that's more specific may very well not transfer as the Freshman Writing requirement. Or talk to transfer counselors. 

If they'd been real pills at the flagship, I would've had dd retake the CLEP; she only needed 3 more points for the flagship exemption score level, and it had been 3 years since she'd first taken it.  I don't think schools around here give writing or math exemptions based on SAT or ACT scores.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a toughie. Personally, I'd have him take the class that would be easier for him & let the cards fall where they may. He may end up having to retake something - or he may not. But, at least he's (theoretically) taking a class that is more enjoyable.

If you can, see if the places he's considering have a transfer widget - like Missouri S&T's transfer page. (DD's DE college isn't even listed on S&T's equivalency page. Guess most people don't transfer from here to there. :laugh: No surprise.)

In just about every place DD is looking, they require their version of Freshman Comp (one or two semesters), so it would do DD no good to take it here. She's taking an upper level Lit class instead. :smile: Strangely, no prereq on it & it is more enjoyable (less essays!) than either semester of the general Freshman Comp. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I am sure I made that confusing. Basically my ds skipped Comp 1 for de but needs to take Comp 1 at his college of choice. He got transfer credit for Comp 2.

I understood, which considering the topic, means you too are a good writer.

:)

I like the idea of just doing the class that is easiest as a first course but also getting something out of the way that might be more difficult would be good when he is doing half as many college classes and is still living at home rather than adjusting to a new lifestyle. 

We already adjusted classes last year for a college I think he now knocked off his list. I have this strange feeling he will regret whatever he does. Lol 

It would probably be easier if I told him to just narrow his choices down to 2-4 schools so he could just look this stuff up.

I do tend to enroll my dc in the de class I find best suits them for their high school education. I consider any de credit to be gravy. 

However, as I look at kid #3 I can’t help but be influenced by the way de played out for the older kids. The one thing I do remind myself is that both my older kids ended up at schools that were not even on the radar until November and December of senior year. Both ended up out of state. One is at a school I had never even heard of when planning his de schedule. The other had already put an admission deposit down at the school he had chosen junior year, and had already registered for de for second semester senior year before the first mention of the school be will attending  in August.

At least in my family, planning ahead doesn’t always work out. Lol. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, frogger said:

In general if 2 communications classes are required for a degree (most EE programs he has looked at have 2 composition type requirements) will it matter if he takes the second level class or will he need both anyway?  These are not Ivy level schools just places like Missouri S&T or University of Alabama, Huntsville or similar type places.

At our university, the two composition courses are very different in focus. If he takes the technical writing course, it would likely transfer in as composition 2 (research writing), but he would not automatically be granted credit for composition 1. He would very likely need to take that one still, unless he has AP credit or another DE course.

You might want to consult the equivalency database on the school's website to get a clearer idea, or just call the registrar's office and ask.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I do tend to enroll my dc in the de class I find best suits them for their high school education. I consider any de credit to be gravy. 

At least in my family, planning ahead doesn’t always work out. Lol. 

Yep, though it's hard to pay for and put the effort in twice but I hear ya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

At our university, the two composition courses are very different in focus. If he takes the technical writing course, it would likely transfer in as composition 2 (research writing), but he would not automatically be granted credit for composition 1. He would very likely need to take that one still, unless he has AP credit or another DE course.

You might want to consult the equivalency database on the school's website to get a clearer idea, or just call the registrar's office and ask.

Yes, they are very different and for at least the colleges I looked at the freshman course would transfer. Not sure if he'll attend there but it's probably worth it to stick to the basic course. They may not all tranfer but at least we know a number of them do now.