Menu

A condensed WWE plan for a Grade 4

My DD8 is going to be Grade 4 this coming September. She has been in a French immersion program for the past 3 years. The direct impact is her English suffered. Despite her reading level is very high, her basic English writing is at Grade 1 level based on the assessment in WWE. Other areas she has gaps are:

- she doesn't pay attention to the capitalization and basic structure of sentences.

- she usually answers questions in words, not in complete sentences. Sometimes, she will use "it" or "they" without specifying whom this "it" or "they" refer to.

- she has trouble to find main ideas from a given paragraphs and definitely has trouble to summarize the story using her own words.

Areas she is doing well are:

- her spelling is good

- she reads a lot and extremely fast.

I want to work with her on filling up those gaps by following WWE. Because she starts late with this curriculum, I am going to do a condensed program with her. Below are some rough thoughts:

- we will alter dictation, notation and copy work as suggested by the book on weekly basis. But I will add more content for each day. For example, I will provide longer sentences with more grammar concepts she needs to pay attention to when she is doing her copy work.

- we will select books that is at her level when we try to ask questions and summarize main ideas.

- she will do a weekly research on topics she is interested and write an essay. I will point only three mistakes for her to correct.

Any suggestions/comments will be very appreciated!

Which level of WWE will you be starting with? She may benefit with starting at level 2 since it begins with copywork and that might help her with beginning and ending sentences correctly.

I'm wondering if maybe you should forego the essays and research at this point. A child who needs to learn to summarize and punctuate sentences is not ready for essays, IMO. WWE will get her writing good 3-4 sentence paragraphs on her own by the end of level 4. I would concentrate on that before adding the other assignments. I agree that you could use grade-appropriate books, unless she struggles with any of the skills. If that happens, it might be wise to use easier books until the skill is learned.

Are you using the workbooks or the hardback instructor text? If you have the latter, it will be really easy to accelerate through the levels because all four levels are in one book.

She doesn't sound all that far behind to me, so don't worry too much about it and go at her pace.

I hope something in there is helpful.

21 hours ago, hollyhock2 said:

Which level of WWE will you be starting with? She may benefit with starting at level 2 since it begins with copywork and that might help her with beginning and ending sentences correctly.

I'm wondering if maybe you should forego the essays and research at this point. A child who needs to learn to summarize and punctuate sentences is not ready for essays, IMO. WWE will get her writing good 3-4 sentence paragraphs on her own by the end of level 4. I would concentrate on that before adding the other assignments. I agree that you could use grade-appropriate books, unless she struggles with any of the skills. If that happens, it might be wise to use easier books until the skill is learned.

Are you using the workbooks or the hardback instructor text? If you have the latter, it will be really easy to accelerate through the levels because all four levels are in one book.

She doesn't sound all that far behind to me, so don't worry too much about it and go at her pace.

I hope something in there is helpful.

I agree with ALL of the above, especially about essays. She isn't ready for that, based on your comments about her current abilities. A child who has trouble summarizing and can't find the main topic in a paragraph is not going to be able to put her thoughts together coherently in an essay. She needs to focus on the other skills first. And if she's going to do research and write about it, let her do informal notebooking pages on the topics, or something like that. You could require a certain amount of content/info and require complete sentences, but I wouldn't require any type of essay writing until much later.

I would start her in WWE Level 2, and just skip a lesson here and there (rather than huge chunks at once) in order to accelerate. If you decide that WWE is working well and you want to stay the course to the end, if she finishes Level 4 by the end of 5th grade, then she'd be right on track with that program. No need to rush it.

I also agree that she doesn't sound that far behind, in general. And I think your plan for implementing WWE is good. HTH!!