Menu

Shoes and clothes for NYC weekend

klmama

We're going to take a weekend trip to NYC!  Unfortunately, I'm having some foot trouble and need to wear extra supportive sneakers.  ?  Am I going to be horridly out of place in a Manhattan hotel?  Broadway show?  The Met?  If we aren't eating in high-priced restaurants, will it matter?  What clothing should I wear with my oh-so-lovely running shoes? 

NYC is such a diverse place, and those particular locations (Broadway, the Met) have so many tourists from all over the world, I really wouldn't worry about looking out of place. True, most women won't be wearing running shoes, but nobody will notice, and you won't get any weird looks. So no, it won't matter for looks.

It's hot in the city, so you'll have to figure out what to wear based on that rather than based on the running shoes. I would suggest long linen pants that skim the tops of your shoes making them less obvious. But bring a shawl or a light wrap to deal with the A/C indoors.

Have fun!!

• Like 2

I live in NYC, and almost never wear anything other than jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers - yes, when I eat out. Yes, when I go to the Met. And when the girls went to see Wicked with a family friend, everybody wore shorts and sneakers. Nobody cares, and if they did care - why should you? You'll never see them again! Even when women dress nice to go out or to the office or whatever, they often wear sneakers while getting from here to there because they anticipate a good deal of walking.

It's summer, so it's muggy. Dress for warm weather. When will you be here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sneakers are fine.  Most footwear is fine so don’t worry about it.  If you looked at others footwear, you would see everything from flip flops to why are you wearing high heeled, thigh high leather boots when it is 95 out.  Wear what you will be comfortable walking in.  I wear sneakers or keens myself depending on my feet. But I am not known for giving a hoot about what others think of my footwear. 

It is hot now so dress for it.  

Thanks!  Any other tips for newbies?  Absolute must-sees?  Cheap would nice!

Mostly just manners, most of which are really self-evident. Walk on the right, don't block traffic to take your selfie or tie your shoe (move to the side instead), don't stand in front of stairways or doorways, take off your backpack when you're on a crowded bus or train, let people off before you get on, that sort of thing.